Diaphragm call suggestions for turkey hunting?

Donjuan

WKR
I'm a novice turkey caller at best and I want to start practicing my calling for next year. I haven't used a diaphragm call but I want to be hands free for next year, any suggestions on what brand to start with or any type I should be staying away from? Thanks
I would steer clear of 3 and 4 Reed calls until you get the hang of it. They will be too raspy
I would highly recommend Sadler McGraw Champions Choice 2.5 ghost Reed. He has won many contests with it and I use it and his pro combo cut almost exclusively and have tagged out in ks for the past 3 years with these

wulfsige

FNG
I’ve tried many brands, including the expensive ones and I find that the Hunters Specialties/HS Strut diaphragm calls from WalMart, etc are excellent. The tension is always uniform and no wrinkles. I’ve seen calls that cost double or more that had wrinkles or uneven tension. While primos makes some great calls, the turkey diaphragm calls I’ve tried leave a lot to be desired. I will say, I’ve never tried the Woodhaven calls and have wondered if they were worth the premium price. Haven’t had the urge to try them because I’ve been happy and successful with the HS Strut. Good luck and practice, practice, practice!

PS- Saw above that the raspy old hen call was mentioned- also one of my favorite from HS Strut and often my go to.

Last edited: