Diaphragm inconsistencies based on retailer

psp8ball

FNG
Last year I ordered a Phelps diaphragm (pink one) directly from Phelps. I liked it so I ordered a second one as a backup for elk season from Black Ovis. (BO had free shipping so I thought I'd save a few bucks.) When I tried to use the B.O. call I could barely get the thing to squeak. Now this year I ordered a couple Rocky Mountain Raging Bull (brown one) diaphragms as they have always been a trusty and versatile call for me. This time through GoHunt (using points), instead of my traditional order through Rocky Mountain. The call was ok to start, a little weak on bugles. But now it seems to have worn out already, as it can no longer hold the high note in a bugle. I've NEVER had that issue with the Raging Bull with such little use.

So my question is, have any of you ever noticed quality differences in calls based on the retailer they come from?

Gapmaster

WKR
I personally haven’t, I generally use Phelps calls from various retailers.
It’s a stupid COVID side effect?? I mean the quality of everything else sucks right now. Short handed on people = inexperienced labor.

Yes I’ve noticed this with certain reeds. Some blow out a lot faster than others. I tested a good size handful from last year. Some I used and some not. The majority were Phelps reeds. Most were good to go and a few were stretched or starting to tear. I’m happy with that. The Carlton brown triple is what I use the most and even that one is ready. I’ve had some of those 2 and 3 years. I did recently buy more DragonSlayers and Carlton triples though

I see mouth reeds that vary from call to call. Same make and model from the same manufacture from the same order. Most are good, some are great and some are just plan duds. Pretty difficult to go on a 2 week hunt with out a bunch of calls. I have several models from a couple of different companies. My go to usually ends up being the Rocky Mountain green All-Star. I remember a youtube video from a few years back with Corey Jacobson going through is mouth call selection process for the calling contest. He went through a bunch to find the 2 or 3 special ones for use in the contest. Declaimer - I am from Mi so what sounds good to me may sound like crap to the elk!

ElkNut1

WKR
Back in the day it was tough to find 3 out of 5 calls that were consistent. But today with digital stretch technology each one is exact, I do not find those same inconsistencies as in the past.

Note that the way & place you keep your calls can be the biggest culprit to latex fatiguing!

Bottom line, make them work! It's elk calling, don't over think it!

ElkNut

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only problem I've had was with one that I pulled from my pack to replace the one I was using that was too far gone. I put it in my mouth and chewed on it for a bit and then tried it out. It was horrible, couldn't get it to work right at all. Then pulled another new one from my pack and realized that the other one wasn't made right. The latex was 1/2 the length of the normal ones. But I would say that's a pretty good track record over many years and different calls used.