Did going on a guided hunt improve your skill level?

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,
Seeking input from folks regarding the value for guided hunts for overall skill development. I have been going out to the same unit in CO for three seasons now, twice for mule deer, once for elk, skunked all three times. I came to hunting in my late 30s (I'm 41 now), but took to it strong and have really enjoyed these trips, since I live in Texas where we don't have much public land. Since I've delved into this, I've gotten to be a much stronger hiker, backpacker, and fisherman. I'm a lot healthier too, since I'm not drinking these days and work out way more so I can keep in good shape. The hunts haven't quite come together though -- it's like hunting makes me better at everything in life except hunting.

I have seen a lot of threads debating the pros and cons of DIY vs. guided hunts on here, with some folks saying that going guided helps you learn. I'm considering it for this year, but it would be a huge expense. I get a decent amount of PTO, so I also have the option of hunting on two tags a year to gain more experience. I'm curious to hear whether folks who've gone on guided hunts feel like the experience moved them through the learning curve much faster than DIY-ing it, and whether ya'll think investing the money in a guided hunt would help me more than getting out for 4 weeks in a year instead of two.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I travel a lot for work for the premium I place on free may be significantly more than others. YMMV.

While I do not mind paying for a guide, I do prefer doing it myself. However, there's a point where it is stupid to keep banging your head against the way. That's when it is time to open up the wallet and learn how to hunt a specific species, specific area, etc.

Spent several frustrating years hunting black bear in AZ. I was always close but always "that far" from making it happen. I looked at the hundreds of hours of in-field time (hunting/scouting), fuel, wear/tear on vehicle and equipment, etc. spent over the years and I still had a ton questions. I booked a a black bear hunt and told the outfitter that I have a lot of questions.

It was money well spent. I was able to ask all the questions that I wanted and get instant answers. I'd ask things specifically about spring, summer, fall even though I was hunting in October. I also learned a lot about lions. In the "down time" we spent a ton of time tracking animals and what to look for in a variety of terrain. Learned about field judging bear based upon sight and sign; most hunters and guides are horrible at field judging bear (sad just how true it is). I learned more in that one week than I did the previous years' worth of time combined. The money was a drop in the bucket compared to all of the time and money I pissed away over the years attempting to learn from scratch. My ability to find bears consistently, including large boars, has improved dramatically.

Best money I ever spent related to hunting was one of my first big game hunts; I green as can be. I went guided and that was a game changer. Learned to glass by some of the best out there. Learned to field judge elk (target) but also mule deer and antelope (while glassing). Learned to shoot significantly better. That one hunt was a game changer. Those present on that hunt are still active parts of my life both as friends and as mentors. Glassing is key component to how I hunt and that early lesson has been gold.

Spending money to shorten the learning can make great sense when it makes sense. I should have done it sooner on my bear.

wyosteve

WKR
I've done a number of guided hunts, mainly for species that required it. My first guided was not until after a number of years of diy. I'd have to say I learned a few new tips/tricks, but not much in regard to basics. I had already acquired that knowledge on my own. But, in your situation, if the desire is to gain basics to hunt diy for the same species as on the guided hunt, it's probably worth it.

MattB

WKR
I’ve learned a ton from going on guided hunts, especially if you don’t otherwise have a mentor. Lots of guys Pooh Pooh guided hunts, but IME many/most have never been on one (or have been in bad ones), so take that sort of feedback with a grain of salt.

I would be careful about going guided in a unit you want to hunt DIY in the future. If you are learning the guide’s spots so you can go back, you will set yourself up for future ill will/confrontation.

Last edited:
OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a number of guided hunts, mainly for species that required it. My first guided was not until after a number of years of diy. I'd have to say I learned a few new tips/tricks, but not much in regard to basics. I had already acquired that knowledge on my own. But, in your situation, if the desire is to gain basics to hunt diy for the same species as on the guided hunt, it's probably worth it.
Thanks! How many years of diy-ing did it take you to feel confident you had the basics down?

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve learned a ton from going on guided hunts, especially if you don’t otherwise have a mentor. Lots of guys Pooh Pooh guided hunts, but IME many/most have never been on one (or have been in bad ones), so take that sort of feedback with a grain of salt.
Thanks! Yes, I've had a lot of folks share their knowledge very generously, but when it comes to getting out in the field, I hunt solo

Super tag

WKR
For me the main advantage of hunting with a guide is that they know the hunting areas well, along with the habits of the animals and where to find them. That and the comforts of a guided hunt are the worth the price in certain situations.

Whether It’s a guided hunting experience or DYI it takes a lot of years and experience to hone your skills, choose the areas you like to hunt and year after year you get better until you have mastered your skill.

One more.

Did a guided Coues hunt in southern AZ one time. Learned a bit more about Coues and some additional glassing techniques but the money was on border activity. My guide was BP. I learned about the various BP sectors and their ideologies (not aligned), how to tell the difference between deer trails vs cattle trails vs human trails, "debris" to the untrained eye but trail makers for people and products going north, the pervasiveness and creativity of cartels, what you can and more importantly cannot do when encounters happen, various technologies in use along the border, drug seizures make great headlines but often get tossed (how and why), how to identify and detect "spotter" and "layover" spots, etc.

I'd have paid just for the border activity component as it was that enlightening and worthwhile. I use what he taught me every time I am down south scouting/hunting/camping.

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
For me the main advantage of hunting with a guide is that they know the hunting areas well, along with the habits of the animals and where to find them. That and the comforts of a guided hunt are the worth the price in certain situations.

Whether It’s a guided hunting experience or DYI it takes a lot of years and experience to hone your skills, choose the areas you like to hunt and year after year you get better until you have mastered your skill.
Thx!

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
One more.

Did a guided Coues hunt in southern AZ one time. Learned a bit more about Coues and some additional glassing techniques but the money was on border activity. My guide was BP. I learned about the various BP sectors and their ideologies (not aligned), how to tell the difference between deer trails vs cattle trails vs human trails, "debris" to the untrained eye but trail makers for people and products going north, the pervasiveness and creativity of cartels, what you can and more importantly cannot do when encounters happen, various technologies in use along the border, drug seizures make great headlines but often get tossed (how and why), how to identify and detect "spotter" and "layover" spots, etc.

I'd have paid just for the border activity component as it was that enlightening and worthwhile. I use what he taught me every time I am down south scouting/hunting/camping.
Oh wow, fascinating

CRJR45

WKR
For me , a guided hunt was perfect . I live in Florida so I can't get out there to scout , much less take horses .
Drove out and was hunting in two days , but yes , I did learn a little , but it was mostly over dinner or downtimes . Didn't talk much in the woods . I've been very lucky , three hunts and all great experiences .

I have never, nor will I ever book a guided hunt with the intention of increasing my “skill level”. I book hunts strictly to increase my odds of being successful because guides typically (though not always)

1) know the area better
2) may have added access to areas I don't
3) it’s required by law to have a guide in the state I am hunting
4) those areas may hold more game or better quality game
5) they bring a lot of necessary equipment and help pack out game making it more doable as a team than trying to do it by yourself, solo.

Have I gained new knowledge, learned new skills or refined my own skills from my guided hunts, absolutely. I have also taught my guides things as well. It’s a two way street. When in the “fox whole together“ you both give and take to be successful and survive. Don’t sell yourself and your skills short.

But for me at least, the use of the guide is for added success or a better quality animal.

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
For me , a guided hunt was perfect . I live in Florida so I can't get out there to scout , much less take horses .
Drove out and was hunting in two days , but yes , I did learn a little , but it was mostly over dinner or downtimes . Didn't talk much in the woods . I've been very lucky , three hunts and all great experiences .
Thank you!

OP
R

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
I have never, nor will I ever book a guided hunt with the intention of increasing my “skill level”. I book hunts strictly to increase my odds of being successful because guides typically (though not always)

1) know the area better
2) may have added access to areas I don't
3) it’s required by law to have a guide in the state I am hunting
4) those areas may hold more game or better quality game
5) they bring a lot of necessary equipment and help pack out game making it more doable as a team than trying to do it by yourself, solo.

Have I gained new knowledge, learned new skills or refined my own skills from my guided hunts, absolutely. I have also taught my guides things as well. It’s a two way street. When in the “fox whole together“ you both give and take to be successful and survive. Don’t sell yourself and your skills short.

But for me at least, the use of the guide is for added success or a better quality animal.
Thanks for the perspective!

Oh wow, fascinating
It was and still is. It was one of the "value adds" of going guided; sometimes you learn something completely unexpected but totally useful or majorly interesting. He was tipped well for his hunting work and this part was freaking gravy for him.

I think it is fair to say that Any decent guide is going to have seen multiples more hunts than a new or even average hunter. So, they are probably going to be able to show you something that you don’t know but their knowledge can be area or species specific and more specialized than you may need.

just based on my recent CO elk hunt, me and my buddy both came up dry. I went solo on public land and saw tons of mule deer but never an elk within range. My buddy went with a Guide 3 days On private land. He nearly two shot opportunities - 200 yards with a bad background and +300 yards with some obstructions - but could not take a shot. He paid $$$ for the guide. we both came up dry. between the private access and he guide having multiple spotters working a valley, his chance of success was absolutely much greater than mine. IMO for a novice to average hunter, a competent guide is going to be an advantage. What it really comes down to is the cost versus the benefit of using a guide.

def90

WKR
Probably depends on the hunt. I have a cousin that comes out to Co.from Wisconsin every year and does one of those stay at the fancy lodge and hunt elk trips with his buddies. The problem is that it is mostly private land and the guides essentially drive them to where the herd is and they walk in a half mile or so and shoot their elk. The guides then drive the truck in and load the elk up in to the truck and they all go back to the fancy lodge.

Granted the elk don't always cooperate and it takes them a couple days but in the end they aren't learning anything.