Did I back in to the ultimate .308 load?

Messing around with a .308 again, mostly because of the component shortage has me believing I always need to have a .308 on hand... And the first bullets I tried were some 150 TTSX's that I found lingering on a shelf at one of those sporting goods stores everyone loves to hate. I figured, why not try them. When I got home, I looked up some load data and thought I saw a misprint - 2990 FPS with the Nosler E-Tip over CFE 223 on the Hodgdon data. I figured that can't be far off from the 150 TTSX, so I loaded up some starting at 50 grains of CFE 223, on up to 51 in 0.3 increments.

The velocities I saw from my 22" Proof Research barrel had me questioning my chrono. Over 3k fps with 51 grains! I got a heavy bolt lift at that amount so I decided to back off to 50.5 grains and shoot some groups. 0.7", 0.6" and 0.8" all at 2970 fps. So I backed up to 300 yards and got 2.1" and another at 1.8"

I was like how is this possible? I wasn't even getting 2970 fps. out of 150's in the '06's I owned!

That 150 TTSX has a BC of 0.42, so it's no slouch. But running at 2970, that thing can do a LOT of work!

Anyone else tried this combo from their .308? Seems magical to me. This will be my "heavy" hunting load moving forward. No need for anything more than a .308 if it can do this, as far as I'm concerned.

The more I use CFE 223, the happier I am with it. And it's usually available and reasonably cheap. It turned my 7mm-08 into a little laser with TTSX 120's going over 3140 not even at max load!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Just something to consider...The 150 has a higher minimum expansion velocity than the 168. Pretty sure it is at least 1,800 for the 150, possibly 2,000. I know for sure it is 1,500 for the 168. For that reason, I run the 168. Even at the lower velocity, which I estimate that you'd get ~2,800 with an equivalent load, the 168 would deliver about 200yds additional effective range to hit the minimum velocities.

83cj-7

WKR
Years back I built a very light .308 on a Seven action with a 19” Shilen barrel. That rifle now belong to a friend of mine and he uses CFE223 to move a 165 Trophy Bonded Tip bullet to 2900 FPS. It’s very accurate and very effective, but man will that thing wake you up when it goes off!

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Just something to consider...The 150 has a higher minimum expansion velocity than the 168. Pretty sure it is at least 1,800 for the 150, possibly 2,000. I know for sure it is 1,500 for the 168. For that reason, I run the 168. Even at the lower velocity, which I estimate that you'd get ~2,800 with an equivalent load, the 168 would deliver about 200yds additional effective range to hit the minimum velocities.
Thanks. I've been researching the 168 for all those reasons. If I ever chase elk again, it will be one of these two bullets for sure.

I’m a very firm believer in more speed with any mono vs a heavier weight.
Hammers can be a little different due to their design but Barnes, ETip, GMX all work best pushed hard.
All of my family and friends that get about 3,000 fps with a mono have great success, starting at 2800 doesn’t take long to drop off and have less than optimum expansion.
You found a great load in your rifle. Stock up on those components and shoot.
(I can’t believe you are getting that speed, I can get there with my 30-06 and 152 Sledgehammers but it’s not as controllable as 2950 printing 1/2” group or just over)

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I’m a very firm believer in more speed with any mono vs a heavier weight.
Hammers can be a little different due to their design but Barnes, ETip, GMX all work best pushed hard.
All of my family and friends that get about 3,000 fps with a mono have great success, starting at 2800 doesn’t take long to drop off and have less than optimum expansion.
You found a great load in your rifle. Stock up on those components and shoot.
(I can’t believe you are getting that speed, I can get there with my 30-06 and 152 Sledgehammers but it’s not as controllable as 2950 printing 1/2” group or just over)
Yea, I could hardly believe it either but the Hodgdon load data says 2990 with CFE 223 and 150 E-tips, so who am I to question? I ran it over my chrono three times now and always get between 2970 and 2990. Maybe it's just a fast barrel? Whatever the case is, I'm not complaining. Esp. since I'm 0.6 grains under Hodgdon's max load and I'm getting good accuracy.

Like you said, that's easily '06 territory.

The Barnes load data for CFE 223 with 168 TTSX's is quite impressive too. Something like 2870 fps!

sndmn11

WKR
Yea, I could hardly believe it either but the Hodgdon load data says 2990 with CFE 223 and 150 E-tips, so who am I to question? I ran it over my chrono three times now and always get between 2970 and 2990. Maybe it's just a fast barrel? Whatever the case is, I'm not complaining. Esp. since I'm 0.6 grains under Hodgdon's max load and I'm getting good accuracy.

Like you said, that's easily '06 territory.

The Barnes load data for CFE 223 with 168 TTSX's is quite impressive too. Something like 2870 fps!

Did you try it with the imr4166?

We worked up some 130ttsx load using that in 30-06 and 300wsm and they were blazing. If I could find more of that powder I'd have sold my heavier Barnes. I ended selling the 130ttsx and saving the 4166 for the creedmoor.

Vern400

WKR
Messing around with a .308 again, mostly because of the component shortage has me believing I always need to have a .308 on hand... And the first bullets I tried were some 150 TTSX's that I found lingering on a shelf at one of those sporting goods stores everyone loves to hate. I figured, why not try them. When I got home, I looked up some load data and thought I saw a misprint - 2990 FPS with the Nosler E-Tip over CFE 223 on the Hodgdon data. I figured that can't be far off from the 150 TTSX, so I loaded up some starting at 50 grains of CFE 223, on up to 51 in 0.3 increments.

The velocities I saw from my 22" Proof Research barrel had me questioning my chrono. Over 3k fps with 51 grains! I got a heavy bolt lift at that amount so I decided to back off to 50.5 grains and shoot some groups. 0.7", 0.6" and 0.8" all at 2970 fps. So I backed up to 300 yards and got 2.1" and another at 1.8"

I was like how is this possible? I wasn't even getting 2970 fps. out of 150's in the '06's I owned!

That 150 TTSX has a BC of 0.42, so it's no slouch. But running at 2970, that thing can do a LOT of work!

Anyone else tried this combo from their .308? Seems magical to me. This will be my "heavy" hunting load moving forward. No need for anything more than a .308 if it can do this, as far as I'm concerned.

The more I use CFE 223, the happier I am with it. And it's usually available and reasonably cheap. It turned my 7mm-08 into a little laser with TTSX 120's going over 3140 not even at max load!
So here's the hard part. Quit screwing with it. Check a few on a hot day to make sure they aren't crazy hot, and it's likely they could be. I got a 308 load like that and loaded 500 with all matching lot numbers. Powder, primer, bullet, cases. Crows, coyotes, deer, groundhogs and a few hogs...it kills em all just the same and I got one little dope chart on a piece of tape on the stock.

Sure I'll shoot other stuff like partitions on hogs. But when I pull out a box of the 2008 vintage it's all business. I have not moved zero since and it's dang near perfect. They're all bullet and primer sealed too. Forever ammo.

You better buy a 8 pound jug of that crap. Or 2.

OP
Newtosavage
So here's the hard part. Quit screwing with it. Check a few on a hot day to make sure they aren't crazy hot, and it's likely they could be. I got a 308 load like that and loaded 500 with all matching lot numbers. Powder, primer, bullet, cases. Crows, coyotes, deer, groundhogs and a few hogs...it kills em all just the same and I got one little dope chart on a piece of tape on the stock.

Sure I'll shoot other stuff like partitions on hogs. But when I pull out a box of the 2008 vintage it's all business. I have not moved zero since and it's dang near perfect. They're all bullet and primer sealed too. Forever ammo.

You better buy a 8 pound jug of that crap. Or 2.
Who said I was screwing with it? LOL I have zero plans to do that. And your advice is spot-on, I've tried it now in 27 degrees and 87 degrees just to make sure it wasn't overpressure. It's not. I keep going back to the Hodgdon load data and double checking that amount of powder and published velocity just to make triple sure I am not doing something wrong.

Vern400

WKR
Who said I was screwing with it? LOL I have zero plans to do that. And your advice is spot-on, I've tried it now in 27 degrees and 87 degrees just to make sure it wasn't overpressure. It's not. I keep going back to the Hodgdon load data and double checking that amount of powder and published velocity just to make triple sure I am not doing something wrong.
Yeah. It's a "don't change anything" moment! Sadly I only know a few guys who can get their rifle out cold and peg an orange clay pigeon at 400. Or 200? Because folks are always tinkering. Most of the time only the first shot counts and there's no warmup. I'm using max loads of RL15 under a 150 Sierra and they're awesome. If I can see something I can usually hit it out to 500. My accuracy node is right on redline. Varget is tighter but the sweet spot is slower. I may try some CFE223 in my long range rifle just for fun. But the trusty goto rifle isn't eating anything new.
Keep shooting your load til the barrel is gone. Congratulations on reaching 30/06 power in a short action!