Did I damage my scope?

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
About 6 months ago I was shooting two rifles, a 25.06 and a 7-08. Some of you can probably guess where this is going. I was shooting TTSX in both. Both had Leupold's on them and both were in black synthetic stocks. I had rounds for both out on my impromptu shooting table. Then came one of the scarier moments of 40 years, I was shooting the 25.06 and sent a 7mm bullet down the tube. The rifle was significantly damaged and I suffered lacerations to my face. My scope however was completely undamaged, it's a twenty-year-old Leupold Vari X II 3-9*50.

However, a couple of weeks ago I borrowed a 30.06 for a moose hunt. It's a wood-stocked T3. I was shooting Nosler 180 grain factory loads. I could not get the rifle to group. I used a torque wrench on all of the action screws, scope mounts, and rings. Do you guys think I possibly damaged the internals to the scope? Is it something Leupold can look at for me?

Thanks, oh and I learned a lot of lessons that day.

Wow! Glad you are ok. The scope could very easily have a bent tube or other damage. Contact leupold and have them look it over for you.
Regarding the borrowed 30-06. Did the owner have a scope mounted previously? Did it shoot well before you borrowed it?

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I think I will send it in and have Leupold look it over.

I didn't actually take a pic and that rifle is packed up and at a friend's house as I am in the middle of a move. I could post one in a couple of weeks and send it your way. The rifle actually looks relatively normal from a bit of distance. It was a Tikka M695, and a real shooter :( The magazine was destroyed and the bolt shroud was also destroyed. The bolt has never opened, when I was trying to open it, I used a rubber mallet to softly tap the bolt handle and it busted off. The gunsmith I talked to said the bullet definitely traveled through the barrel. I may consider getting it looked at to see if it's fixable, it would probably cost me as much as a new Tikka, but this one does have a bit of sentimental value.

JohnB

WKR
Ooofh. I've got no insight as to the potential scope damage but I'm glad to hear you are ok and that the repercussions weren't worse. One more thing to be aware of at the range.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
To be quite honest I am happy that it happened to me and not someone I took shooting one day. With a new shooter, I probably would have given the whole talk about how an accident like this is possible and how to avoid it. However, on my own, I guess I got a bit complacent. I wasn't at a range, I was on public land, far away from cell service. Originally when it happened I thought I had made a massive error on my reloads. I packed up as quickly as I could because I just wanted to make sure I didn't go into shock. Once I jumped back in the truck I clued into what had happened.