Did I get jipped by Vortex?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

So, I'm far from an authority on what constitutes what, but here is an explanation of how I'm defining things. I would put the Razor level in the upper mid range. Cannot afford to try everything, and at that price point there is a lot I would like to try. Viper HD would be lower mid range and are the price point where I would personally start considering Vortex. At the Diamondback level I would most likely get Vortex.

Anyway, at this point I'm just responding to the question mark and not really contributing to a productive discussion. I just wanted to be clear that I don't consider Vortex a low end company.

UpWndFrt

FNG
I had a a set of Cabela's intrepid by Vortex I purchased back in 2016. Retail 800.00 but I had points so I think I paid 650 ish. Great glass not razor ergonomics but my eyes liked the glass and I thought them to be a step up from viper's. My eye peice stopped adjusting this year so I sent them in for warranty. I got binos back but not the ones I sent just a note saying couldn't repair. With a new set of viper's. I know they don't make intrepid any longer. But I kind of feel torn sending 800.00 binos in and getting 500.00 ones in return. Why not contact me and offer a credit towards razors? The other part of me says screw it run them untill they break or I can save up for Swarovski glass. I don't trophy hunt per say just need glass to find the critters. Viper's would serve the purpose. What would other people do? Call Vortex or just be grateful and roll with it? Secondary note I also sent in some old lightnings that were busted up and they gave me a new set of crossfire hd's in return which was a step up. Makes a good set of trip binos with the wife

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This whole thing actually makes a lot of sense, and I wish I had noticed earlier.

-Vortex moved production from Japan to China for their Viper and Razor series a few years ago (2017 I believe). On the Razor, MSRP and MAP pricing was reduced from 1500 / 1150 to 1249 / 979, respectively. I might be off on the numbers, but I believe the Vipers were like 800 / 650, which makes sense to have new price around 650 / 500.

Intrepids were just rebranded Viper HD's, and probably kept similar price structure or just slightly less (like the old meostar vs EuroHD price difference).

So they've taken an old Viper they don't have parts for and replaced them with new Vipers, which along with the Razors don't cost as much anymore. This actually might be a good deal besides the loss of perceived value.

Your old Japanese Vipers would not sell as used $800 binos, but old and used $650 binos. If you planned on keeping them, the Vipers seem to have benefitted from the China move, especially for 2018+ vintage. The Razor HDs seem to be the ones to have suffered.

Do you notice them better or worse than your old pair? The new Vipers seem to be well-regarded, and it doesn't look like you're in a different financial position, just different than you realized you were already in.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Well, Nikon is out of the Sport optics business now, so you probably have a point. I think they only do cameras now.

In the ongoing Vortex debate.... Their low and midrange binos are a great deal for the money. I think their riflescopes are also a great value. Not everyone can afford Big 3 money.... and Vortex will take care of you if you have an issue. The Razor HD line is, in my opinion, great glass, and not produced in China.... but you're also getting into "expensive" territory with them.

I have several Vortex products, and have never had an issue with any of them. I also sell a metric ton of them.... and I'd definitely hear about it if there were many issues. In retail, no news is good news, most of the time. I'm not a tremendous fan of Vortex or any other singular brand.... every company and product imaginable will have people who swear by them, and people who swear at them.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
The Top of the line Razors (UHD) are produced in Japan. The regular Razors HDs still say China, I believe. I should have been a little more specific.

I’ve owned 2 of their high end rifle scopes, 2 razor binoculars and a rangefinder. Had to contact their world class warranty on every item. They were fantastic each and every time.

that being said - I’ll never buy another product from them. I’d rather pay more and not have any failures...

OP
Shawn_Guinn

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to run them for a couple years and save my pennies for higher end glass. They are fine and will function for my style of hunting. I was impressed with the intrepid my eyes liked them when I compared to the razors, meopta, and Zeiss. Against the Swarovski not so much but at the price point hard for me to pass. Wish they lasted longer, but lesson learned no more middle of the road. What's the old adage buy once cry once.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk