Did I make the perfect jacket?

ccarter

FNG
Okay, no, but, I made some customizations to one that I think I'll like for a lot of the hunting I do.

Not sure if any of you out there are like me, but I've struggled to find a jacket that has the features that I really want in a mid–layer jacket that also functions as an outer layer in dry conditions. Those features:
- warm enough for the most common temps I encounter while hunting (20s-60s)
- quiet enough to stalk within bow range
- Windproof (not wind resistant)
- durable enough to move through thick brush and timber
- loose enough to layer underneath
- low profile enough to put a puffy on over the top
- easy to put on/take off
- reasonably lightweight to carry when I'm climbing or the midday sun gets too warm.

All that said, I decided too have a local tailor make some changes to a pullover that I already had, to see if it would do a better job of serving the purpose that I wanted. The original piece was the Cabela's Microberber Windshear Pullover. It's a good weight for mid season outerwear, or a late season layer. Unlike the heavier outfitter's fleece jacket they make, I can shoot a bow without interfering with the string, and it's much lighter to carry/pack. The issues I had with it were that it's hard to put on and take off- it would bind on my under layers. It also had no sleeve cuffs, and a loose waist band, so wind would blow up your back, or into your sleeves.

So I had the tailor add a full-length zipper for easy on/off, and it will offer much more venting. She also added a draw cord waist to keep wind out of the back (not super attractive, but oh well), and elastic cuffs on the sleeves. If I like it on my January bow hunt, I may have her add pit zips as well.

All-in, zippers, cord & elastic, and tailor fees, it'll cost about $28 bucks. If I like it, I figure I'll have saved about $232 over the Jetstream, and $196 over the Guide DCS, which isn't windproof.

I don't think I'll ever make a long, steep climb in it, but I do think it will give me a better range of uses than a lot of the high end options out there in a warmer, quieter jacket. I'll post back what I think after my January hunt. Pictures of the the jacket attached.

link to the original pullover here:

Just thought I'd share since there's so much discussion about layers/softshells/etc. on here.

-CIMG_3074.jpegIMG_3075.jpegIMG_3076.jpeg

WoodBow

WKR
I like it. Only other thing I would want is a hood. Otherwise your requirements are the same as mine. And I certainly have not found one that checks all of the boxes. I bought a sitka equinox hoody recently and it is pretty close but it lacks any wind protection.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That looks like a lot of the fleece jackets that I have. I wear them every single day from fall through spring, even indoors. I get cold when I'm not moving much even when the house is 73. Good call on the zipper. I hate pullovers.

LuvDog

FNG
I hate pull overs too... I need that zipper for temp regulation. The only other requirement I have for jackets/sweaters/hoodies is zippered side pockets.

OP
C

ccarter

FNG
Yes, side pockets would be nice for sure. For me, Softshells seem to fall into no-man's land. Sort of windproof, but not. sort of shed water, but not enough, and they're heavier than a fleece and a shell combined. For me, they're the Almost-cuts-it jacket, but they just don't seem to do enough to justify the weight. This concoction I had done comes in at 21.5 ounces- not light, but lighter than most soft shells. I do like the feel of a hood on my neck, but find that I rarely wear them on my head- I usually wear a beanie. So I'm okay going without it. I'll also sometimes layer a Peloton 200 hoodie underneath, so the hood would be covered at that point.

Maverick1

WKR
Okay, no, but, I made some customizations to one that I think I'll like for a lot of the hunting I do.

Not sure if any of you out there are like me, but I've struggled to find a jacket that has the features that I really want in a mid–layer jacket that also functions as an outer layer in dry conditions. Those features:
- warm enough for the most common temps I encounter while hunting (20s-60s)
- quiet enough to stalk within bow range
- Windproof (not wind resistant)
- durable enough to move through thick brush and timber
- loose enough to layer underneath
- low profile enough to put a puffy on over the top
- easy to put on/take off
- reasonably lightweight to carry when I'm climbing or the midday sun gets too warm.

All that said, I decided too have a local tailor make some changes to a pullover that I already had, to see if it would do a better job of serving the purpose that I wanted. The original piece was the Cabela's Microberber Windshear Pullover. It's a good weight for mid season outerwear, or a late season layer. Unlike the heavier outfitter's fleece jacket they make, I can shoot a bow without interfering with the string, and it's much lighter to carry/pack. The issues I had with it were that it's hard to put on and take off- it would bind on my under layers. It also had no sleeve cuffs, and a loose waist band, so wind would blow up your back, or into your sleeves.

So I had the tailor add a full-length zipper for easy on/off, and it will offer much more venting. She also added a draw cord waist to keep wind out of the back (not super attractive, but oh well), and elastic cuffs on the sleeves. If I like it on my January bow hunt, I may have her add pit zips as well.

All-in, zippers, cord & elastic, and tailor fees, it'll cost about $28 bucks. If I like it, I figure I'll have saved about $232 over the Jetstream, and $196 over the Guide DCS, which isn't windproof.

I don't think I'll ever make a long, steep climb in it, but I do think it will give me a better range of uses than a lot of the high end options out there in a warmer, quieter jacket. I'll post back what I think after my January hunt. Pictures of the the jacket attached.

link to the original pullover here:

Just thought I'd share since there's so much discussion about layers/softshells/etc. on here.

-CView attachment 352673View attachment 352674View attachment 352675
Looks nice. Cabelas used to sell a hooded jacket like that: windstop/wind shear, cuff wrists, Berber exterior, and full zip. I own one! and use it as my lightweight layer from 35/40-60 degrees. It’s very nice.