Did Outdoorsman’s change their tripod adapter?

Okay this is an odd question but does anybody know if Outdoorsman’s changed the function of their tripod adapter? The reason I ask is because I have used ones belonging to other people and the bino stud clicks into the adapter then then you can tighten the knob and secure them a little more. The one I got last October only let’s a stud click into it and it does not seem to allow me to tighten it. I’m not sure if I received a defective tripod adapter or if the style has changed. Even in all of the episodes of the Western Hunter, they click the binos in then tighten the stud.

WoodBow

WKR
Adapter is unchanged to my knowledge. However isn't the tightening portion on the tripod head?

I used to run an Outdoorsmans bino adapter on a slik tripod that used the kind of square attachment plate. There is a screw in the plate that threads into the bottom of the bino adapter. I now have an outdoorsmans tripod and pan head. Bino adapter slides in and then you tighten a little wing nut screw to secure it. I don't believe mine has a click in. I wish it did. In theory I could lose the bino adapter if that wing bolt came loose. I will double check when I get home.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Adapter is unchanged to my knowledge. However isn't the tightening portion on the tripod head?

I used to run an Outdoorsmans bino adapter on a slik tripod that used the kind of square attachment plate. There is a screw in the plate that threads into the bottom of the bino adapter. I now have an outdoorsmans tripod and pan head. Bino adapter slides in and then you tighten a little wing nut screw to secure it. I don't believe mine has a click in. I wish it did. In theory I could lose the bino adapter if that wing bolt came loose. I will double check when I get home.
He's talking about the bino post that the bino stud goes into. Push down on the button, slide the binos in til they click, then tighten the knob down to lock them in whatever position you choose. Not the actual adapter plate to the tripod head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
He's talking about the bino post that the bino stud goes into. Push down on the button, slide the binos in til they click, then tighten the knob down to lock them in whatever position you choose. Not the actual adapter plate to the tripod head.

Well I feel dumb. That should definitely tighten.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
T

That's exactly what I'm talking about! The knob does not turn on the one I have. I'll try to post a video

WoodBow

WKR
I just checked one that I received about a month ago. Still has the adjustment and it is very smooth. The knurled portion just tightens down like a nut.

OP
T
I just checked one that I received about a month ago. Still has the adjustment and it is very smooth. The knurled portion just tightens down like a nut.
That is interesting since I got mine a little before you. I think I'll call them and ask. I'll update the thread on what they say.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the same problem and talked to the CS on the issue. The tolerances are REALLY tight on the screw. It's super easy to have it get bound even if you aren't trying to ratchet it down with farm boy primate strength.

When I had it happen, I used a leather glove and pliers (glove to protect the knurling) and loosened it up with no problems. Then applied a little bit of oil and it's run like a champ for a couple years now with no other binding problems.

OP
T
I've had the same problem and talked to the CS on the issue. The tolerances are REALLY tight on the screw. It's super easy to have it get bound even if you aren't trying to ratchet it down with farm boy primate strength.

When I had it happen, I used a leather glove and pliers (glove to protect the knurling) and loosened it up with no problems. Then applied a little bit of oil and it's run like a champ for a couple years now with no other binding problems.
I'll try it but my god does that thing not want to move. To the point that it seems like the knob is not suppose to turn now!

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
My brother’s was bound up to the open side when he got it. I had to twist it pretty hard to break it loose, then it tightened up like normal.

OP
T
As an update to everybody, I contacted Outdoorsman’s and they said there was definitely something wrong if the knob didn’t turn. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and were ready to take care of it. I decided to try one last time to loosen it using the leather glove and vise grips trick and it finally came loose. Now it turns like a champ and seems fine. I let Outdoorsman’s know that I don’t be returning it but hats off to Kody for their customer service.