Didn’t draw my MT Combo Tag... What are my options now?

Didn’t draw with one preference point, which was supposed to be guaranteed. Do I have any options at this point? I really want to go on my first elk hunt this year... I’ve got a deployment with the Guard coming up spring of 2020 and this was going to be my last hurrah before going overseas.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Colorado leftover will be your best option for a good bull tag.

If you want to hunt cows, PM me and I can share some decent options to consider.

Brianb3

WKR
I heard somewhere they get 5% back. On 17000 that’s 850. Heard that list grows quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
You’ve got a long shot odds at a NV tag or a LE Idaho, left over lists from a few states, and then there is always OTC.

You can’t cheat the mountain

You didn't draw an "elk combo" tag or didn't draw a "big game combo"?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wow, can't believe you didn't draw with 1 point! I feel for you, man. If I were in your shoes, plan B would be a Colorado or Idaho OTC licence. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but having one preference point would do nothing to help in drawing a big game combo. Having a BONUS point would help with drawing the big game combo. Preference points only help with drawing the LE permit. If you would have bought the bonus point while applying this year you would have drawn the big game combo (at least last year that was the case). Since you didn't get the bonus point, you didn't draw the big game combo and therefore didn't have a chance to make use of your preference point in the LE permit you applied for (assuming you applied for one and not just a general tag).

OP
B
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but having one preference point would do nothing to help in drawing a big game combo. Having a BONUS point would help with drawing the big game combo. Preference points only help with drawing the LE permit. If you would have bought the bonus point while applying this year you would have drawn the big game combo (at least last year that was the case). Since you didn't get the bonus point, you didn't draw the big game combo and therefore didn't have a chance to make use of your preference point in the LE permit you applied for (assuming you applied for one and not just a general tag).

I misspoke I meant bonus point. I didn’t apply for limited entry, just the general big game combo.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m in the same boat. This is my second year of impeccably bad drawing luck, even with all the effort I put into picking tags with my points. I’m looking at Idaho LE attempt/fail I then OTC elk and deer, maybe Wyoming leftover antelope buck/doe tags, possibly WY general/LE deer. After that... who knows?

TheCougar

WKR
I’m in the same boat. This is my second year of impeccably bad drawing luck, even with all the effort I put into picking tags with my points. I’m looking at Idaho LE attempt/fail I then OTC elk and deer, maybe Wyoming leftover antelope buck/doe tags, possibly WY general/LE deer. After that... who knows?

We can always hunt together and throw ourselves a pity party. On the bright side, my hunting luck is much better than my drawing luck.

Here's the problem with Idaho OTC as a fallback option at this point: you want to buy a nonresident tag in Idaho in December of the prior year. There's a bunch of capped zones for nonresidents and they're basically all sold out at this point. You're getting scraps.

I'd really look at Colorado where you aren't already behind the 8 ball and the elk numbers are better.

Best of all, get a leftover tag.

You got it backwards.

NR preference points only go towards General Elk, General Deer, or General Big Game Combo. There are no preference points for residents as these are OTC tags for them. 75% of the tags go to those with most preference points. 25% go in random drawing to those without preference points.

I believe that bonus points only go for limited entry units and does not give you more names in the hat for General tags even if you choose a general tag as your first choice. Bonus points are squared so you just get your name in the hat more for Limited entry permits its not a "he with the most points, gets a tag" deal.

OP
B
Wanted to say thanks for the PM's I've gotten. I have two buddies that were already planning on going as pack mules for me, hoping to maybe draw a B tag if they were lucky. The cost of a combo tag was a bridge too far for them. I think Colorado OTC is our best bet at this point. That way, no matter what, everyone is going to get an opportunity. Sucks I didn't draw Montana, but I think this may have worked out for the best.

Here you go guys.
5bfdc3f5d8d7dc621f6bac5e59eb802a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk