Diesel or Gas

I am thinking of going diesel for my next truck. Any pros or cons in regards to hunting? More remote areas, potentially in the cold for long periods of time, things of that nature. I know maintenance is more expensive but less frequent, overall engine life should be great as well. I have never had a diesel before and know very little about it overall compared to gas.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate gas trucks when it gets cold hahaha that being said I don't drive a new fancy diesel... Ole girl doesn't love the cold. I take my gas when I'm cold weather hunting

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I am thinking of going diesel for my next truck. Any pros or cons in regards to hunting? More remote areas, potentially in the cold for long periods of time, things of that nature. I know maintenance is more expensive but less frequent, overall engine life should be great as well. I have never had a diesel before and know very little about it overall compared to gas.

If you are driving it full speed most of the time, you’ll probably be fine. Cold areas the DEF won’t clean out most of the time. After working in a diesel shop, I’ll never own a new diesel with DEF. non stop problems from all 3 big American companies. When my old diesel wore out, I ended up with a 3/4 ton gasser.

If you absolutely need it for large camper, hauling equipment etc not much you can do, but I won’t go back until I’m retired towing a camper full time.

Do some google research or DEF problems, new diesel problems before you decide.

robtattoo

WKR
I love my diesels. Haven't had a gas powered vehicle for 25 years, but in the winter i HAVE to carry an extension lead wherever i go & I can only stay in motels with outdoor power points. Anything close to 30° temperatures & i'm screwed without the ability to plug in my block heater.
I've genuinely packed a generator along on a hunt, just so my truck would start.

Had I the money to replace the old gal, i'd go gas every day. Just for the freaking simplicity!

EastMT

WKR
I love my diesels. Haven't had a gas powered vehicle for 25 years, but in the winter i HAVE to carry an extension lead wherever i go & I can only stay in motels with outdoor power points. Anything close to 30° temperatures & i'm screwed without the ability to plug in my block heater.
I've genuinely packed a generator along on a hunt, just so my truck would start.

Had I the money to replace the old gal, i'd go gas every day. Just for the freaking simplicity!

I LOVED my old 1992 7.3 IDI, hated getting rid of it. Just got to where the maintenance was costing more than a replacement. But when it started making me miss hunts because of cold starts, SHE GONE!

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
If you are towing trailers big enough to require 3/4 ton or bigger, a diesel will make that experience much more enjoyable and safer.
You will absolutely sacrifice ride quality and off road capability.
If you do not need the towing capacity/ payload of an HD truck buy a half ton gasser.
There's no advantage to going 2500 or bigger if you are towing less that 5,000 lbs.

Squamch

WKR
if you have a diesel just do like the boys in the patch do and never shut it off:LOL:.
I have an 01 7.3 powerstroke. With good glow plugs and harnesses, and regular oil changes (main-ten-ance, say it with me!) it fires up just fine. A little more like a coffee can of bolts, and a little smokier when it's cold, but it works fine down to -15c. Havent spent much time colder than that.

New trucks? I dunno, this one still works!
Antigel fuel is important in the cold winter.

elkguide

WKR
The only time that I have ever had one of my diesels not start was when I had a tank of summer (uncut) fuel in one at -32*. I agree that the new DEF trucks are a pain in the backside but from every other perspective they're great. Buy good fuel and run a good additive and you'll be fine. I love my diesels.

If buying a new truck, gas is the way to go unless you are towing a heavy load all the time. I'm looking for a replacement for my f150 currently. Will be a gasser 3/4 ton. Diesels today are EXPENSIVE to operate and maintain.

If your towing loads diesel is the way to go, I haven't had a gas truck since 1998. now owning a 2015 ram we have stayed in 10 degree weather and had no issues starting. older models we did have to plug in a few times and a heater buddy under the truck while making coffee works also. I have had 4 different friends get brand new gas trucks recently and within a year swapped out to diesel and they said it was the best thing they ever did. Now these are all guys towing horses and gear and trailers. If I didn't have much hauling to do I would be in a gas truck. One thing I miss for sure is a half ton chassis, HD trucks since 1998 on AZ dirt roads takes some years off your life.

Idahoguy

FNG
I have a f350 v10 and I Iove it. My diesel cost a ton more for maintenance and the v10 pulls my gooseneck horse trailer just as good as the diesel, although not as quick off the start but overall just as fast.

Reactions: DRP

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
did the diesel thing for a while, went back to the F-150. Unless you are towing over 8,000 lbs. I really cant find the reason to own a diesel, unless you just want one. Ride quality, initial cost, maintenance, cost if something happens to the motor, air emissions crap. Just didn’t appeal to me. The final straw was being 30 miles in on a late season bow hunt and a storm comes through with 0 degree weather and my fuel gelled up and couldn’t get the motor to start. Luckily I had a little buddy heater, slid it under the motor and ran it for an hour and barley got the motor to turn over and start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a f350 v10 and I Iove it. My diesel cost a ton more for maintenance and the v10 pulls my gooseneck horse trailer just as good as the diesel, although not as quick off the start but overall just as fast.

I went from diesel to the V10 as well after paying too many large $$$$$ diesel repairs. Fords new 7.3 gas motor should be a big seller.

EastMT

WKR
I went from diesel to the V10 as well after paying too many large $$$$$ diesel repairs. Fords new 7.3 gas motor should be a big seller.

Yes and my old 1997 Cummins getting 20 MPG towing, man the mileage advantage towing has depleted a ton as well. Dad has a newer one, and towing he gets terrible mileage compared to towing with the older ones. Too much govt in the exhaust systems, not the builders fault.

I would recommend gas because of the cost of maintenance and the initial cost. I personally own a 6.0 power stroke (bullet proofed), because I am a farmer and need to pull heavy loads. I like the truck and enjoy driving it, but if I wasn’t a farmer I would have a gas pickup. Our farm has several 5.9 Cummins too, great engines but the rest of the truck is terrible and falls apart around the engine.

PA Hunter

WKR
I would never buy a gas truck, trailering my boat destroyed my ladt full size truck i eent diesel Ram and never looked back. I currently have and love my 17 Ram Megacab diesel 3500. I take it every year pheasant hunting South Dakota late season was negative 13 last year and no problems at all. I use addatives for fuel and do regular fuel filter changes. If you hate tge def you can do a delete kit. The diesel power,better fuel mileage and much stronger reliable motors are not even a thought in my opinion.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I would never buy a gas truck, trailering my boat destroyed my ladt full size truck i eent diesel Ram and never looked back. I currently have and love my 17 Ram Megacab diesel 3500. I take it every year pheasant hunting South Dakota late season was negative 13 last year and no problems at all. I use addatives for fuel and do regular fuel filter changes. If you hate tge def you can do a delete kit. The diesel power,better fuel mileage and much stronger reliable motors are not even a thought in my opinion.

Yeah the guys talking about trucks not starting and emissions issues and gas trucks towing as well as diesels probably have no experience with the newer trucks. 1000lbft of torque and exhaust brake in trade for a few gallons of def every once in a while and a few extra quarts of oil is a no-brainer imo.
The truck costs more but will also sell for more down the road so it's not that big of a deal
Even if you have emissions issues down the road you can still delete.

RO1459

FNG
Don't understand some of these comments. I have a Ford F-250 Diesel (2018) and love it. I had to buy a diesel because of the size of our trailer, but after I got used to the diesel, I was shocked at the advantages. Going down hill is when you will fall in love with it. You almost never touch the brakes. Put it in tow mode and turn of the exhaust brake and enjoy the ride. Going up hill, you don't even realize a difference. When pulling an 11,000 pound trailer up hills in East Tennessee, I can stay at 60 without trying. As for having trouble starting one in cold weather...it got to 10 degrees last year at 9,000 feet and that morning I went over, turned the key and waited until the indicator light showed the glow plugs were ready, and it started right up. No problems. Yes you have to add DEF and the initial cost is higher...about $7,000. But, you will recoup it when you sell it. (They say.) For all the extra costs, I would still recommend a diesel over a gas truck. Especially if you are pulling a trailer or driving in the mountains.