Diesel or Gas

cwj

FNG
if you tow at all go diesel and don’t look back, I tow very often I farm and I have a 2014 ram 3500 now, It’s my 3rd cummins. I have also owned 2 Duramaxs also. I’m not sure if emission testing is a problem where you live but around here we just delete our diesels and never look back. I voided the warranty on mine shortly after buying it and I had a 2010 Cummins before this one and deleted it within a few weeks of buying it also. Diesels run forever if taken care of. I also have a gmc 6.0 gas we use to feed with because the only downside to diesels are they are very heavy and they tend to sink off-road in the winter but as far as fuel mileage I can drive my cummins dually cheaper than the 6.0.

pirogue

WKR
Some of these posts fall under the dark side of Human Nature 101. Kind of like Yeti coolers; if you can’t afford it, you bash it. Like said above, no problems stating today’s diesels in cold weather. I had a 2004 Chev diesel, and now have a 2015 GMC diesel. Next truck will be a diesel, whether or not I have anything to tow. And now, a gallon of diesel is cheaper than gas, like it should be.

Some of these posts fall under the dark side of Human Nature 101. Kind of like Yeti coolers; if you can’t afford it, you bash it.

Huh? Why over pay for something you dont need. Like a YETI. Or better yet, why not buy a less expensive product that is made in the same way and does the same thing for less?

pirogue

WKR
Huh? Why over pay for something you dont need. Like a YETI. Or better yet, why not buy a less expensive product that is made in the same way and does the same thing for less?
Not saying everyone needs one. If you just do a day trip, or even 2-3 days is one thing. If you’re out a week, and it’s a 3 to 4 hour drive to get ice, you have a different mindset.

I was super stoked to get back into a diesel. I ran across a good buy on a 2015 Ford F350. It was still under warranty, low miles. I needed a truck that would pull my 35 ft 5th wheel with less effort. So i traded my 2016 f250 gasser for the 350 diesel.

I have never had so many issues out of vehicle in my life. I have onwed the truck,since February. I have had to replace to reductant heater in DEF tank ($1000, not under warranty), exhaust manifold was cracked (fixed under warranty), EGR replaced (fixed,under warranty) and finally a brand new turbo system (thank goodness, under warranty). Roughly 10k worth of repairs on a truck that has 26,000 miles. The turbo took a dump on me while pulling my 5th wheel up the mountain, leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

I have waffled back and forth about getting rid of this truck and going back to a gas. I'm hoping since most of the major engine components are now brand new, my troubles are,over.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking of going diesel for my next truck. Any pros or cons in regards to hunting? More remote areas, potentially in the cold for long periods of time, things of that nature. I know maintenance is more expensive but less frequent, overall engine life should be great as well. I have never had a diesel before and know very little about it overall compared to gas.

Most people don’t need a diesel unless you are hauling decent loads frequently, not taking about a bass boat. I’ve had diesel, half ton, 3/4 ton trucks. The diesel was just a pain to me. I didn’t need it, I pull an occasional heavy load 7-10,000 pounds 2-3 times every couple of years. A 3/4 ton gas truck will do just fine for the occasional pull and over time be more reliable and cheaper. Also diesel truck are not made for off roading, they’ve got a heavy front end and stuff tends to ware out. The only pro that I can think of in a hunting situation would be traveling distance with a camper or horse trailer. That’s where the diesel shines. The Ford F-250 diesels are pushing like 900 pounds of torque versus the gas at somewhere around 450. If you are not pulling anything I’d get a Toyota Tacoma, long bed with a camper shell in a heart beat. If you need a bigger truck get a long bed with a camper shell, you can haul so much more than a standard bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR

Because that gasser won’t go 400,000 miles even after a rebuild.
30 somethings buy a diesel, chip it, new exhaust, bunch of bypass bullchit, run em at 3,000 rpms then wonder why they shit the bed.

Last edited:
30 somethings buy a diesel, chip it, new exhaust, bunch of bypass bullchit, run em at 3,000 rpms then wonder why they shit the bed.

Glad I didn't buy mine until I was 40 something then.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
What a timely thread as I'm looking at getting a toy hauler which would necessitate a bigger truck. I really don't want to get rid of my Tundra but the toy hauler will mean I need a stiffer chasis. I've been casually browsing the classifieds for a 3/4 ton Diesel but I think you guys have me convinced that I don't tow enough to make it worth it. This will be my daily driver. Sure I'll tow with it, but probably not more than 6-8 trips a year with the toy hauler and anything else I've been more than happy pulling/hauling with the Tundra currently so I don't think I tow heavy often enough to make the diesel worth it. A brief search shows fewer options available but at about $10k less for a comparable truck in my area. I'll gladly take that savings and deal with having a "lessor" truck a few times a year when towing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I HATED towing my 21ft pull behind toy hauler (7k fully loaded) with my 2015 max tow cclb tundra.
It did it but every time I was wrapping it out climbing out of Phoenix to the mountains I was thankful it was still under warranty. That and it gave you absolutely no useful temp monitoring. Just the hot or not gauge for water temp.
My 2017 f-350 SRW laughed at that trailer

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I was super stoked to get back into a diesel. I ran across a good buy on a 2015 Ford F350. It was still under warranty, low miles. I needed a truck that would pull my 35 ft 5th wheel with less effort. So i traded my 2016 f250 gasser for the 350 diesel.

I have never had so many issues out of vehicle in my life. I have onwed the truck,since February. I have had to replace to reductant heater in DEF tank ($1000, not under warranty), exhaust manifold was cracked (fixed under warranty), EGR replaced (fixed,under warranty) and finally a brand new turbo system (thank goodness, under warranty). Roughly 10k worth of repairs on a truck that has 26,000 miles. The turbo took a dump on me while pulling my 5th wheel up the mountain, leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

I have waffled back and forth about getting rid of this truck and going back to a gas. I'm hoping since most of the major engine components are now brand new, my troubles are,over.

You must have bad luck. 95% of guys have a great experience with 6.7s. Especially 2015 or newer. Maybe the previous owner had issues and realized he had a lemon and that's why he got rid of it so fast

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
If you'll be towing get a diesel! If not, i'd lean towards a gas truck. Unless you really want a diesel, then get one! Just know that oil changes should be done on the same frequency as a gas truck and will like cost 2x a gas truck (w/fuel filter change).

Granted, I don't tow all that much but I have a F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and it does everything I need.

Beendare

WKR
I've owned both diesels and gas in Chevy, Ford and Toyota trucks for 40 years.

I think it all boils down to whether you tow a lot....then Diesel makes sense....otherwise gas.

PA Hunter

WKR
Yeah the guys talking about trucks not starting and emissions issues and gas trucks towing as well as diesels probably have no experience with the newer trucks. 1000lbft of torque and exhaust brake in trade for a few gallons of def every once in a while and a few extra quarts of oil is a no-brainer imo.
The truck costs more but will also sell for more down the road so it's not that big of a deal
Even if you have emissions issues down the road you can still delete.

Yes i have the exhaust brake it stops my 10,000 lb boat downhill without even touching the brakes. Once you have one you will never go back.

tdhanses

WKR

That‘s true for prior to emission, heck now you have emissions wear items that only have a 150k life and cost $5k+ in parts. My 2017 was my last diesel and I only had a fuel pump issue. I wish I had kept my 03 Dodge Cummins but it had 233k and I didn’t want to keep dumping money into it. I doubt many 2015+ diesels make it 250k without $15-$20k in repairs, even if under warranty. Heck the weak cp4 they use in all of them now if it goes it takes out injectors and all for around $15k+ to repair.

My brothers company has a number of GM 6.0 over 300k, very Minor issues, they pull heavy all the time with excavators etc, they only run gas because diesel issues just aren’t worth the headache anymore.

i now have a 2019 f250 with the 6.2, it’s a great truck for 85% of my uses, the downside is it doesn’t pull up grades as well as my diesel did but it still pulls up a grade fine and makes it every time.

Last year I compared my fuel cost to the prior year towing my camper to CO, price was pretty much even, towing mileage was just under 2mpg less then the diesel.

Overall I think gas is best for 95% of consumers but some just want a diesel.

I do agree though, I miss an exhaust brake coming down grades.

Landon4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a 2011 f-250 diesel with 470,000 on it I’ve replaced a front end which was my fault after getting stuck in Pennsylvania, other than that it’s been a great truck. I had some egt issues early on ford warrantied it after that I ran it stock for awhile then did a full delete, I don’t beat the hell out of the truck I drive it fairly conservative occasionally getting on it passing and such. I do service work on drilling rigs and have had it in -30 weather in North Dakota and never had any issue with it starting or gelling, I do run an additive when in those temps and my truck doesn’t have a block heater, I live in Oklahoma and see some fairly cold weather but never an issue, I’ve drove it all over the country working it’s been a great truck and I wouldn’t hesitate to go diesel if that’s what you want just keep up the maintenance and you should be fine, also I have a 2011 ram with the 6.7 diesel with 320,000 it’s been an excellent truck as well my son drives it now.

You must have bad luck. 95% of guys have a great experience with 6.7s. Especially 2015 or newer. Maybe the previous owner had issues and realized he had a lemon and that's why he got rid of it so fast
I guess. I researched this truck hard before I bought it. I'm just glad it was still under warranty when all this happened. I want to love the truck. When it's working right, its awesome. It pulls my 5th wheel, which weighs 12k loaded and ready, like there is nothing back there. And MPG while towing is much better. I averaged 8 mpg with my gasser. I am getting right at 10.5 with my diesel.

I just hope it doesn't give me anymore trouble.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
2017 F250 with the powerstroke. Pic is from a wolf hunt in Ontario last February. Truck sat from before sun up until this time in the evening. maybe some have cold weather issues, but mine doesn't. Put a little extra additive in for fill ups when it's this cold, but no issues and it pulls like a dream. FYI, the -25 is in Fahrenheit,

Attachments

• 20200220_062011.jpg
    20200220_062011.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 40
What a timely thread as I'm looking at getting a toy hauler which would necessitate a bigger truck. I really don't want to get rid of my Tundra but the toy hauler will mean I need a stiffer chasis. I've been casually browsing the classifieds for a 3/4 ton Diesel but I think you guys have me convinced that I don't tow enough to make it worth it. This will be my daily driver. Sure I'll tow with it, but probably not more than 6-8 trips a year with the toy hauler and anything else I've been more than happy pulling/hauling with the Tundra currently so I don't think I tow heavy often enough to make the diesel worth it. A brief search shows fewer options available but at about $10k less for a comparable truck in my area. I'll gladly take that savings and deal with having a "lessor" truck a few times a year when towing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Just shopped for a truck for months and I was going back and forth multiple times as to what I wanted/needed. I WANTED a diesel, but you're exact line of thinking is what won out in the end. Bought a Tundra. No regrets. And to top it off the Tundra is the most made in the USA truck on the market... So there is that

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I got a Colorado diesel ZR2. Great mileage. Great off road. Front and rear locking differential. Fits on smaller trails. Perfect for me and how I hunt.