Diesel or Gas

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Totally different reason than any discussed above, but I live in south Florida, and when hurricane Irma was barreling towards the state in Sept 2017, all 21 million people got on the road and headed north at the same time. Factor in the panic buying/hoarding that took place the week leading up to that, there was no gas or diesel to be had from Miami to Atlanta. Fortunately I had a full tank of diesel and another 15 gallons in the bed. There were countless vehicles out of gas on the side of I-75, and lines miles long with people fighting for the 1 or 2 gas stations that were open. What normally takes me 6 hours to get to my farm in GA took over 13 hours that day. I bought the deisel because I tow some very heavy things, but experiencing that apocalyptic/every man for himself drive north, seeing the behavior I saw, made me never want to have a gasser again, regardless of if I tow anything or not. I can run almost 700 miles on a tank. 2016 Duramax

divingpa

FNG
Something I haven't seen on this thread (and I think I've scanned most replies) is the questions why are you considering a diesel, and have you considered a 1/2 ton (which is a total misnomer these days as they can carry so much more than a 1/2 ton) diesel?

I do a lot of highway miles (20K+ from end of May until beginning of Oct) with a ton of hunting and a fair bit of towing a relatively light trailer, 2,000-3,500 lbs. I own a 2019 F150 diesel with 38,000 miles on it now. It will NOT carry or tow anywhere near what a 3/4 or 1 ton will, but the ride is amazing and I can get up to about 28 mpg if I'm gentle (which I usually am not). Typically I get 22-23 mpg average with mine. Last year I was hunting in MO in -5 degree weather each morning and didn't have it plugged in or wasn't using an additive. I never had an issue with gelling or not starting. The newer systems are so much better than even 10 years ago. With that said, I now use an additive with every tank. I feel it keeps my injectors cleaner, gives me better fuel millage, and I don't have to try and remember to start using it when it gets cold as it's in there all the time.

The disadvantages of a diesel as I see it are, initial cost, higher routine maintenance costs, higher big repair costs, higher fuel cost per gallon, the additional cost of DEF, the additional cost of an additive if you desire/need in colder weather, and the potential to have to plug it in in really cold weather.

The advantages are, the tend to last much longer between major repairs/rebuilds, they'll typically pull way more with the same size engine, they tend to get better millage, they are now actually cleaner for the environment (if that matters to you), it is really nice to have a warm engine/truck when plugged in...something we actually use to do with gas vehicles when I was a young mechanic, they'll idle much longer without fouling.

Just some food for thought, but I love my F150 diesel, which most people don't even know exists. Dodge makes one as well, but they don't offer it in a quad cab with a 6 1/2' bed so it wasn't even a contender for me.

JoeDirt

WKR
I sold my Diesel only due to the simple fact not every podunk has diesel at the pump. Ive driven as far as a 6 hour round trip to get a tank of diesel.

tttoadman

WKR
I have not owned a gas truck since 2003. The last gas truck I had was the ford V10. I liked the way it ran, but people need to understand that a ford V10 is 10 little pop can sized pistons and it needs to spin pretty high to get in the power. I bought one of the first 6.0 fords when they first came out. I had a good mechanic who said to ignore all the quirks and just drive it. As someone above noted, don't chip the crap out of them and they will run forever. If you need more torque than these factory diesel trucks have, you have issues. I put the air box on it and dual 4" exhaust with the cats removed which just makes the engine "happier". When I got rid of it, I was getting over 20MPG.

I have downsized considerably and don't tow anything big anymore. I have a 2018 Colorado crew cab long bed with the cute little Duramax. It has a full tow package with an exhaust brake. I put over 20K a year as my daily driver, and travel quite a bit for hunts. I put the load leveler blocks in the back, the level kit for the front, and I have 10ply tires. I get 26MPG daily driving and about 31 on the highway. The truck is rated at a combined wt of 12500. I have pulled as heavy as 16K combined hauling gravel and construction materials. It is amazing for its size. One of the coolest things about this small truck is the 24 gallon fuel tank.

I like Diesels because of the way they drive. The gas pots today are so snappy on the throttle they are uncomfortable to drive for me. I also can't stand to have the mileage noticeably drop off when you throw 4 bails of hay in the back. I can drive my Colorado loaded to the gills from OR to central ID to hunt and still pull about 27MPG.

I’m a diesel technician by trade. That means I work on these things day in day out.

Unless you have a legitimate need for a diesel(horses, huge camper, use it for work towing a boatload of weight more than once or twice a year) you don’t need it.

Yeah the fuel economy is better and it “saves you money” until your check engine light comes on. It’s not a matter of if - it’s when. DOC, DPF and SCR are 2-4k each, and that’s actual parts cost and doesn’t include labor and diag time(150/hr at my shop, but shops run from 100-150 an hour). I can tell you the diag for the Cummins “scr efficiency” code is about 2.5-3 hours(following Cummins EDS) and to replace the scr in an easy to access truck is 4 hours. NOx sensors are $450 each. Obviously if it’s under warranty hey no big deal, but that warranty doesn’t last forever.

With that said, I drive a gasser. I briefly considered buying a diesel, but I honestly have no real reason to own one - it would’ve been a “status symbol” like the guys who own the big jacked up trucks that never leave the pavement with them... pointless.

With that said, some of the older(pre-2007) diesels are a different breed altogether.

2five7

WKR
Takes at least 200k miles to get your money back when buying a new diesel truck, vs a new gas truck. That's just figuring in the increased fuel mileage, not factoring in any additional maintenance costs. Todays diesel trucks have ungoldy power, and tons of creature comforts, but, they don't get the fuel mileage the non EPA trucks get.

Ford's new 7.3 with the 10 speed is the first gas truck that is a legit option for guys wanting more than a 1/2 ton, but don't tow 15k lbs all the time.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently looking also. I could say the same for my 2017 chevy 5.3 gas. Last year at 108k, I had to rebuild the transmission and now I have 140k on it and need a new motor.

Fatcamp

WKR
We went gas F250. A diesel would be nice but honestly our fifth wheel doesn't weigh enough to warrant it. Our 2003 with a 5.4 towed it fine. Granted, it's now dead, but I don't think towing had anything to do with it.

My buddy that lives across the field has daughters who barrel race. They pull a giant living quarters horse trailer with 3-4 BIG horses. Diesel was a no-brainer for them.

tdhanses

WKR
I dumped my 2019 gas F250 (only lost $2k from what I paid for it) that avg 11.9mpg and went with a 2021 GMC 1/2ton diesel. Been averaging 25mpg mixed city/hwy.

Below was a pretty easy trip, also hand calculated has always been better then the computer, so far I’m happy, oh and the up charge over the 5.3 gas is $950, it’s cheaper then a 6.2 gas model.

I can usually drive 550-600 miles on 21-22gals.
AE41EE03-3A0D-4CF5-BD6D-D771475C7338.jpeg