Diesel truck regret?

Cody_W

WKR
The new diesels don’t need deleted like they did when the emissions systems first were added. there is no discernible difference when doing a regen in my 18 f250 and with 37’s it still will get up and go and I get 17 hand calculated on the highway when I’m not running over 80. I’ve seen plenty of these and other brands with 300k+ miles on the stock system running well. I appreciate the handling of a diesel when I need to haul a load. Until they come out with another V8 raptor a diesel will be the only kind of truck in the garage. Leave gas for sports cars. 😉

BadDogPSD

WKR
In the flats, at lower altitudes, gassers are fine for most loads. In the mountains, especially above 4000ft, diesels kick butt.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I drive quite a bit and there’s a slim chance I get into another half ton. They can’t do the work, don’t hold value, and get poor gas mileage.

Couldn't have said it better. My 2014 Ram 1500 is a sport truck and nothing more. I love it, but towing anything heavier than snowmobiles or quads, it sucks. Next truck will definitely be a 3/4

tdhanses

WKR
Today’s diesels are great, as soon as you delete all egr and emissions related systems. Don’t worry about voiding your warranty deleting those things. Those things are the only reason you’ll be going in for warranty work. My 11 ram 6.7 cummins has 177,000 on it, and hasn’t needed a thing besides a water pump since I got rid of that crap. Also increased my mileage and hp in the process. That being said, the majority of guys I see driving around in 3/4 diesels don’t even come close to needing them. It seems like somewhere a bug got put in someone’s ear that driving a diesel will actually act as a penis extension as well.
Good luck finding a tuner, the epa clamped down on them then end of last year.

Beendare

WKR
10k is no slouch of a load. Forget about 1/2 ton. Not for lack of power, which is what everyone thinks about, but for lack of handling and braking capabilities. IMO, towing anything over 5-6k is not fun with a 1/2 ton. ....

Agreed^

I switched to a gasser years ago from my Duramax with Allison as I was towing less....and no regrets.

Try that Ram air ride if you are looking at a 1/2 ton......

tdhanses

WKR
I went back to a gasser. And am very happy I did. I’m done with emissions diesels. While mpg may not be as good overall the cost of fuel is about even.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
ram 2500 with 6.4 gasser here. Great for what I use it for. I have owned it for 5.5 years and have only changed the oil and other fluids. The same pickup with a diesel was almost 9k more at the time of purchase as well as fuel being more expensive. I will say that pulling my 3500 lb side by side on a dual axle trailer, this pickup dogs a little tho. It gets the job done, but the mileage goes to SHIT. I usually get around 13-16 depending on how I drive in the city. When I hook the trailer on, it drops to 8-10 MPG. Handles great, but in AZ when you head up north, you can gain 5000 feet pretty fast and those hills cause my pickup to be in some higher RPMS.

I’ve had 3 regrets in the last 12 years. Each time it was when I convinced myself that a gas motor 1/2 ton would be “good enough” and I didn’t need that F250/350. Each time I regretted it rather quickly. Even if I didn’t tow anything (I do tow a lot though) I’d still drive an F250/350. When you put your foot in a 6.7 diesel, it takes off like a truck should and puts a smile on my face. My current truck is a 2019 F350 SRW. I tow 20K+ pounds with it on a weekly basis.

NO way I'd go to gas EVER again. Certainly not as long as the idiotic government mandates ethanol is gasoline. That stuff is an engine killer! Love my diesel ('07 Ford 6.0 F350 w/ 340,000 miles and going strong) and would only swap it for a newer truck that rides nicer. The idea of DEF doesn't make me happy but it's sure better than farming handouts to create a fuel that destroys engines!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm on my second diesel pickup. I bought this 2001 F-350 with the 7.3L and manual transmission used almost 12 years ago. It had 122k miles on it. Blue Book is still higher than what I paid for it almost 12 years ago. It now has 225k+ miles on it. The biggest thing for me was having a truck with enough room for a tall family of 5, while still getting decent mileage and having a full size bed. Our last family road trip was to San Diego and back and it averaged 18.3mpg doing 80+. I can live with that.

For towing it's just towing my Toyota back and forth every year for hunting season for the most part. But that crew cab truck is very comfortable for a family of 5 on long trips. And the power up mountain passes is great.......set the cruise and it goes.

I'd stick with the diesel you have, or look for an older used one and pay cash if you're looking for another one.

elkguide

WKR
On my last 4 trucks, I have gone back and forth between gas and diesel, (depended on what was on the lot at the end of the year when my accountant told me I needed to buy something.) The one constant has been 3/4 ton. The newer gassers do pull quite well, not as good but if you only pull occasionally you can get by, but the issue for me is when I need to stop. A half ton truck just doesn't stop a truck with a loaded trailer anywhere near what a 3/4 ton truck will.

I need to trade trucks this year and even though I don't need a diesel as I don't tow as much as I used to but it definitely will be a 3/4 ton truck for sure, and I'll probably buy another diesel.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've had two diesels now, 2004.5 GMC 2500HD and 2016 Chevy 2500HD. No way I would never go back to a gasser. I love being able to tow what I want basically and have that luxury

fatbacks

WKR
When I do tow it’s usually never more then 50 miles. Like I said we have a small farm that we moved to last year. This year I will start growing hay so I will be towing a little more then normal. I currently have a 2015 ram 2500. I just hate all the emissions on the new ones. I have had a few problems with it in the past. I could always delete it. I’m mainly just concerned I would regret it and the more I think about it the more I wanna stay with a diesel.

Delete the emission crap. Did that on my Cummins and it was like a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 15 Ram 2500 with a Cummins, does everything I need it to. Usually its to much truck for my day to day truck, so it spends most of its time parked unless I have heavy pulling to do. I picked up an 05 Chevy 2500HD used for really cheap cause its a gasser and honestly it does fit my needs really well most of the time. I usually use the Chevy up to around #7500, after that it's time to let the cummins do the work

4ester

WKR
I always reconfirm going with a gasser when it -20 deg and the diesels are gelled up sitting along the road. (cue the"if you use fuel treatment this never happens" talk but ive seen guys that were religious about it still with salamander heaters and tarps. Bad loads of fuel happen, and sometimes Diesel #1 arrives just a hair late)

Last edited:
I always reconfirm going with a gasser when it -20 deg and the diesels are gelled up sitting along the road. (cue the"if you use fuel treatment this never happens" talk but ive seen guys that were religious about it still with salamander heaters and tarps. Bad loads of fuel happen)
I haven't seen a newer diesel truck gelled up in loooooooong time. I don't live in the coldest area of the world but southeast Idaho gets into the negatives Farenheit every winter. Truck getting gelled up would be a non concern for me.