Diesel truck regret?

Trial153

WKR
It helps to look at detailed fleet costs, there are comparsions out there. When your comparison is avg costs from the start, through maintaing, it use and replacement you get a better idea. Compare that to sample size of one or two vehicles which most of us use as and example.

qwerksc

WKR
The engine is the most reliable part of the truck, it’s designed to pull or haul the weight, it’s the rest of the truck that requires an ungodly amount of maintainence to complete the package. Brakes, tranny, front end parts...etc. Big ass heavy trucks eat these things. The payment never ends, yet, a well maintained truck, diesel or gasser, will last a long time...if it’s a dodge.

I’ve been out of the loop for a while now with diesels. After purchasing my first Cummins back in ‘03, I haven’t really paid much attention to anything else, but I thought that the biggest POS Power Stroke was the 6.0. Is the 6.4 an even bigger POS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea. Most people think so. The 6.0s all had the same issues that you could fix with some money. The 6.4 if you get one with problems, pretty much means new engine. Pretty shitty

FLAK

WKR
Drove to NM and back to AL last week, and just now returned from a 500 mile round trip. Still loving my '16 2500 Cummins Turbo 2WD. SMOOOOOTHHHH,

The newer generation of gas motors that you can get in the different 3/4 tons are no slouch once you realize that they need rpm’s to create torque unlike a diesel does. Even my 2015 GM 6.0 gas job is quite a work horse as long as you keep the rpm’s quite high. I can imagine the new offerings like the GM 6.6 gas and the Ford Godzilla 7.3 gas motor must be very good towing engines.

Coming from a 2004.5 LLY Duramax I’ve been very happy with the towing capabilities of my 3/4 ton Chevy. If I was towing anything regularly over 10K though I’d be having an oil burner for sure.

What‘s scary is how the manufacturers now can claim that some of these 1/2 tons can tow upwards of 12K. Not with me behind the wheel they won’t. That’s just asking for trouble if you ask me.

tdhanses

WKR
The newer generation of gas motors that you can get in the different 3/4 tons are no slouch once you realize that they need rpm’s to create torque unlike a diesel does. Even my 2015 GM 6.0 gas job is quite a work horse as long as you keep the rpm’s quite high. I can imagine the new offerings like the GM 6.6 gas and the Ford Godzilla 7.3 gas motor must be very good towing engines.

Coming from a 2004.5 LLY Duramax I’ve been very happy with the towing capabilities of my 3/4 ton Chevy. If I was towing anything regularly over 10K though I’d be having an oil burner for sure.

What‘s scary is how the manufacturers now can claim that some of these 1/2 tons can tow upwards of 12K. Not with me behind the wheel they won’t. That’s just asking for trouble if you ask me.

Plus with them getting 10spds should help improve efficiency and towing.

Nerhunter

FNG
Try driving a 9000 lb diesel off road, in muck or snow! Bury that pig once and you Can see the force it takes to get in un-stuck, rarely can u get it out yourself. They drive so poorly off road out west it’s unbelievable, Tundra and an atv, that’s all u need.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Try driving a 9000 lb diesel off road, in muck or snow! Bury that pig once and you Can see the force it takes to get in un-stuck, rarely can u get it out yourself. They drive so poorly off road out west it’s unbelievable, Tundra and an atv, that’s all u need.

Oh yeah they aren’t for off roading I’d agree with that. We’ve gotten both our 15 Duramax 3500 Dually and 16 Ram 3500 Dually burried in the mid with stock trailers hooked up... It’s tractor time when they need to be unburied out of the mud.

FLAK

WKR
Bet I drove 50 miles in the desert around Deming in the Cookes Range, Floridas, and Guadalupes over by Las Cruces,,,,,,IN MY 2500 2WD. Course it has 35" Ridge Grapplers all the way around. If I need to do some serious off roading, I just unload the Honda.

macdaddy

FNG
I went from Deisel to standard gasoline truck four years ago. That said, I am shopping for a new Deisel right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayTx

FNG
3/4 ton gassers are about useless in my opinion. If you need the capabilities of a 3/4 ton truck you want a diesel under the hood. If you can do your own maintenance diesels aren't to bad to own considering operating cost.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Tried it failed miserably TWICE!!!!.......I'll never buy a gas truck ever again. 6.7L Cummins Turbo Deisel