Diesel vs gas. Which one is better?

Jbrow327

FNG
On one side you have the gas camp. They'll say things like diesel emissions systems are very problematic. You have to drive tons of miles to hit break even due to the very expensive diesel engine option. Oil changes and fuel filters definitely add up for diesels.

On the other side is the diesel camp. They'll say things like diesel engines last much longer than gas engines. Diesels pull better in the mountains. You can just delete it(illegal) and get rid of all of it's emissions equipment problems. Some of them will recommend a diesel for someone looking at pulling under 5k pounds. Seems like overkill.

Personally I think gas does fine up to 12k or 13k, using a 3/4 ton or 1 ton of course. Above that, diesel seems to be the correct choice.

What do you guys think? Debate.

EastMT

WKR
If you are towing heavy, a lot, yeah diesel. As a daily driver in cold weather, drive say 5 miles to work, or anywhere driving a couple miles stop and go, probably have trouble.

After working at a shop with mostly diesel, so many issues, I went with a big V8 gasser. I do miss my old 7.3 I sold though!

h2so4

WKR
I really like my BMW 328d wagon for road trips. Its awesome for what its built for- eating up highway miles and getting almost anywhere in 1 tank of gas. 44+mpg all the time in the mountains. But I don't think this is what you were talking about....

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
If you are towing heavy, a lot, yeah diesel. As a daily driver in cold weather, drive say 5 miles to work, or anywhere driving a couple miles stop and go, probably have trouble.

After working at a shop with mostly diesel, so many issues, I went with a big V8 gasser. I do miss my old 7.3 I sold though!
Were most of the diesel issues related to the emissions systems? What gasser did you get?

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
I really like my BMW 328d wagon for road trips. Its awesome for what its built for- eating up highway miles and getting almost anywhere in 1 tank of gas. 44+mpg all the time in the mountains. But I don't think this is what you were talking about....
Yeah I was referring to trucks. I used to have a VW TDI so I know what you mean though.

EastMT

WKR
Were most of the diesel issues related to the emissions systems? What gasser did you get?

I bought an oilfield liquidation gmc 2500hd with 12,000 miles 6 years and 100,000 miles ago, knock on wood, oil, tires so far!

Entire DEF systems replaced under 50k, sitting for hours trying to force a regen in cold weather usage. This was mostly Ford/Chevy. Very few Dodge where I was, so I can’t speak to those.

I’ve seen foreman so pissed off, first gear, redlining down the road trying to get one to regen! If you run hard and heavy, probably be fine, just cold, lots of idling isn’t ideal.

I drive the 1/2 ton 3.0L Duramax in a Silverado and love it! It gets awesome fuel economy and the premium over the 5.3 is only $1,000 if I remember correctly. When I do occasionally tow it performs better than the 5.3 would. Maintenance is minor compared to the 5.3. Fuel filter gets done every 30k miles and the oil and filters are pretty reasonable. Never had any issues with starting in the cold or fuel gelling and I live in eastern Nebraska so we see pretty low temps at times.

Bottom line, I recommend them to everyone who asks about it and I will be buying another one after this one.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Better for what? Your wallet? Torque?

One thing many people do not consider that H2so4 touched on, is you can go a loooong way on a tank of diesel. This is a safety thing......if you are prepper minded. I recall back in 2017 when hurricane Irma came to FL. Everyone in the state started hoarding gasoline and diesel a week before the storm hit. Gas stations all throughout Florida as well as on I-75 in South Georgia were empty and lights turned out. Out of gas cars with tags from south Florida littered the sides of I-75 all the way to Atlanta. Families standing there with kids crying and no one helping them. The one or two stations that did have gas had lines 5 miles long with people fist fighting every 200 yards over someone trying to cut in line. And our population has only exploded since then.....it will happen again, just a matter of when....and it will be worse. I remember patting myself on the back for having a diesel as I sat in the slow moving traffic and watching all of the chaos, fear, and downright disgusting behavior going on all around me. I can go 600+ miles on one tank. I do tow a 10,000# trailer, so "I need it".... but regardless because of that experience I will never drive anything other than a diesel unless something better comes along or I have no choice.

2016 Duramax 6.6L LML

Ucsdryder

WKR
I drive the 1/2 ton 3.0L Duramax in a Silverado and love it! It gets awesome fuel economy and the premium over the 5.3 is only $1,000 if I remember correctly. When I do occasionally tow it performs better than the 5.3 would. Maintenance is minor compared to the 5.3. Fuel filter gets done every 30k miles and the oil and filters are pretty reasonable. Never had any issues with starting in the cold or fuel gelling and I live in eastern Nebraska so we see pretty low temps at times.

Bottom line, I recommend them to everyone who asks about it and I will be buying another one after this one.
I have the 3.0 too. I average 26-28mpg. Max out over 30mpg. Quiet as a mouse, lots of torque.

How many miles you got on that thing? How many miles daily/weekly?

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
I bought an oilfield liquidation gmc 2500hd with 12,000 miles 6 years and 100,000 miles ago, knock on wood, oil, tires so far!

Entire DEF systems replaced under 50k, sitting for hours trying to force a regen in cold weather usage. This was mostly Ford/Chevy. Very few Dodge where I was, so I can’t speak to those.

I’ve seen foreman so pissed off, first gear, redlining down the road trying to get one to regen! If you run hard and heavy, probably be fine, just cold, lots of idling isn’t ideal.
Do they really pollute that much more than gasoline engines that they need to be bogged down with all that emissions stuff? Or is it an overreaction to being able to see diesel exhaust and thinking it's worse.

How many miles you got on that thing? How many miles daily/weekly?
I'm sitting just over 43k right now. Probably average 25k per year. Daily/weekly changes a lot depending on work. Some days is just to the office 10 miles round trip. Other days ill be driving 2-5 hours away and back the next day or two. The truck really does well in all driving situations.

tdhanses

WKR

Yup I have the same in a Sierra, 14k on it now and love it, get 22mpg in town and have been as high as 34mpg hwy driving in CO. Have towed probably half the miles and get an avg of 15mpg towing. Oh and on another note, every time I hand calculate mpg, its better then the computer display, this has been a common thing owners have found.

Last winter I never plugged it in even down to -13*, started right up and the engine warms fast with the two stage egr, doesnt take but a few miles to get to full operating temps.

2BFD8EB5-1D2B-4127-B6CF-D2DDC09DF5C7.jpegF99334F9-6DB3-4793-A8EE-0A1471F53A55.jpeg

If you do let the Def get really low it’ll give you plenty of time to add more before speed is limited.

8E78C585-EF20-478B-8935-C1ED8765670E.jpeg

I always get my def at truck stops, dirt cheap, the above took 4 gals at a cost of $11, def range has been great unloaded or not towing but towing I get about 1000 miles out of the def tank.

I also added a 55gal auxiliary fuel tank in the bed, this way I can buy diesel here in KC and not pay high prices in CO etc which when I was in CO a few weeks ago was close to a $0.45 per gal savings.

On avg I fill up every 2 weeks when home at around 500-520 miles driven and around 21-22 gals of diesel, it just feels cheap to drive. But I came from a 3/4ton F250 with the 6.2 gas that avg 11.9mpg.

So in my view the 1/2ton diesel is way better then any gas pickup.

Last edited:
Yup I have the same in a Sierra, 14k on it now and love it, get 22mpg in town and have been as high as 31mpg hwy. Have towed probably half the miles and get an avg of 15mpg towing.

Last winter I never plugged it in even down to -13*, started right up and the engine warms fast with the two stage egr, doesnt take but a few miles to get to full operating temps.
Same here! I couldn’t believe how well it started through the winter not being plugged in.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
Yup I have the same in a Sierra, 14k on it now and love it, get 22mpg in town and have been as high as 34mpg hwy driving in CO. Have towed probably half the miles and get an avg of 15mpg towing. Oh and on another note, every time I hand calculate mpg, its better then the computer display, this has been a common thing owners have found.

View attachment 331176View attachment 331177

If you do let the Def get really low it’ll give you plenty of time to add more before speed is limited.

View attachment 331188

I always get my def at truck stops, dirt cheap, the above took 4 gals at a cost of $11, def range has been great unloaded or not towing but towing I get about 1000 miles out of the def tank.

I also added a 55gal auxiliary fuel tank in the bed, this way I can buy diesel here in KC and not pay high prices in CO etc which when I was in CO a few weeks ago was close to a $0.45 per gal savings.

On avg I fill up every 2 weeks when home at around 500-520 miles driven and around 21-22 gals of diesel, it just feels cheap to drive. But I came from a 3/4ton F250 with the 6.2 gas that avg 11.9mpg.

So in my view the 1/2ton diesel is way better then any gas pickup.
Is it an inline 6?

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
Better for what? Your wallet? Torque?

One thing many people do not consider that H2so4 touched on, is you can go a loooong way on a tank of diesel. This is a safety thing......if you are prepper minded. I recall back in 2017 when hurricane Irma came to FL. Everyone in the state started hoarding gasoline and diesel a week before the storm hit. Gas stations all throughout Florida as well as on I-75 in South Georgia were empty and lights turned out. Out of gas cars with tags from south Florida littered the sides of I-75 all the way to Atlanta. Families standing there with kids crying and no one helping them. The one or two stations that did have gas had lines 5 miles long with people fist fighting every 200 yards over someone trying to cut in line. And our population has only exploded since then.....it will happen again, just a matter of when....and it will be worse. I remember patting myself on the back for having a diesel as I sat in the slow moving traffic and watching all of the chaos, fear, and downright disgusting behavior going on all around me. I can go 600+ miles on one tank. I do tow a 10,000# trailer, so "I need it".... but regardless because of that experience I will never drive anything other than a diesel unless something better comes along or I have no choice.

2016 Duramax 6.6L LML
Nice!

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea about diesel, however does a lack of DEF actually prevent the engine from starting? Also since I've read that DEF is made up of water (ionized) I believe and urea would it be possible to use urine? Maybe filter the urea out of it, since that's one of the primary liquids in urine? Or is that even possible?