Diesel vs gas. Which one is better?

hodgeman

WKR
I've looked at this numerous times. For my use, I just can't make the diesel pencil out.

Unless you're hauling heavy on a near continuous basis, gas is much better in terms of cost and reliability. Gassers have gotten so much better in terms of fuel economy so the diesel just doesn't carry much advantage there, add in the DEF issues for diesels and it becomes pretty much a no-brainer.

In my office, there's about a 50/50 mix of gas and diesels...it seems the diesels are constantly in the shop for this or that. Between mine and another PM, we've got a quarter million miles on two Tundras with almost no corrective maintenance and none serious.

Farmhand1

FNG
The diesel engine option only costs $900 more then the 5.3.

Maintenance isn’t bad, oil change cost me $65 using Amsoil oil and AC Delco filter and fuel filter around $35, fuel filter every 30k and I do my oil every 5k.
What is this in? 30k fuel filter intervals is not a good idea unless that thing has like 3 big fuel filters. I. Understand that's what the book recommends but i would not follow that.

renagde

WKR
Bought a pre def Duramax 2 years ago with low miles and zero rust. Daily drive it 10 miles to and from work. Do as much of the maintenance myself as possible. I do oil analysis and currently have over 15,000 on my filter and oil. I can do a oil change with filter with the best possible synthtic oil for $70. The value of my truck has already gone up since I bought it even though I've put 30k on it since then. I'll be holding onto this one until she blows up.

tdhanses

WKR
What is this in? 30k fuel filter intervals is not a good idea unless that thing has like 3 big fuel filters. I. Understand that's what the book recommends but i would not follow that.
GM’s 3.0 duramax. I bet if you change yours or any 3/4ton up at 15k we have probably filtered similar gallons of fuel when I’m at 30k, just saw today Amazon has the filter for $22, I’ll order a few and not worry but for a filter cost of $66 in 90k, I don’t consider this a material cost.

Last edited:

sick_lids

FNG
my dura max was nothing but problems with the def system, of note was a filter that died at 70k and was $3800.00 to fix, it is gone, i9 miss the mpg and power but not the repairs or messing with def....

The only way I would ever buy another diesel would be if I did the deletes immediately. No way would I have waited until I started having problems.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
Ford really threw a curveball at this debate with the 7.3/10sp. I've been a proud diesel owner over the years and my 7.3 super duty should be built next week. Offroading for hunts and short winter commutes are not a diesels strong suit. On the other hand I still want to maintain the speed limit pulling a toy hauler.

You couldn't give me a modern diesel out of warranty between the overworked fuel system and emissions. The 7.3 out pulls the older powerstrokes till the 6.7 scorpion and also the 5.9 Cummins. Surprisingly it's right near the standard output Cummins/68rfe for pulling grades. It'll rev more (naturally) and doesn't have the awesome exhaust brake but it does a good job grade shifting.

If I was retired towing a 18k 5ver coast to coast I'd order a F450/6.7 no doubt but for now there is a gas engine that checks more boxes for my needs than a diesel. If a person doesn't tow much more than a standard travel trailer I'm sure the Hemi and 6.6 gm is fine too. Running a modern diesel 10-15yrs and 250k miles without a very large repair bill is way less common than it was before the power wars and emissions.

I currently have a 6.7 super duty diesel, thing pulls amazing, bought it when I owned a construction business and towed heavy daily. Now that I no longer tow I am looking to sell it for a gasser. The heavier front end wears tires out faster, oil changes are expensive, fuel filters, def fluid, etc.I live in Montana and the cold winters are not fun having to plug in and still not have the truck up to operating temp after a 10mile drive…basically unless you are going to use it and I mean daily use it, there really isn’t a big enough advantage to go diesel. Just my two cents.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
Ford really threw a curveball at this debate with the 7.3/10sp. I've been a proud diesel owner over the years and my 7.3 super duty should be built next week. Offroading for hunts and short winter commutes are not a diesels strong suit. On the other hand I still want to maintain the speed limit pulling a toy hauler.

You couldn't give me a modern diesel out of warranty between the overworked fuel system and emissions. The 7.3 out pulls the older powerstrokes till the 6.7 scorpion and also the 5.9 Cummins. Surprisingly it's right near the standard output Cummins/68rfe for pulling grades. It'll rev more (naturally) and doesn't have the awesome exhaust brake but it does a good job grade shifting.

If I was retired towing a 18k 5ver coast to coast I'd order a F450/6.7 no doubt but for now there is a gas engine that checks more boxes for my needs than a diesel. If a person doesn't tow much more than a standard travel trailer I'm sure the Hemi and 6.6 gm is fine too. Running a modern diesel 10-15yrs and 250k miles without a very large repair bill is way less common than it was before the power wars and emissions.
It sounds like a gas hog. Like the old Ford 460.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 F250 6.7 diesel closing in on 100k, no issues so far. I pull 10k plus trailers fairly often and the power and torque is great - and frankly it’s a lot of fun to drive empty too. With the long bed I have a 48 gallon tank and not pulling a trailer it will go a long ways on a tank, around 750 miles. I’ve never gotten the kind of mileage many internet folks claim, but maybe they drive slower than me or downhill all the way. Empty at 80mph or so about 16-17mpg, loaded with a 16k trailer as low as 8mpg going 70-75 mph. I guess I would say if you’re towing heavy regularly diesel is worth it, if not go gas. I’m sure someone with an eco-boost will chime in to say their gas gauge goes up while towing 10k lbs at 90mph…
Well….I might have spoke too soon about 100k with no issues on my F250, yesterday morning on my sons deer hunt in NM I lost 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Hour and a half before daylight we wanted to hunt the opposite end of the unit, truck wouldn’t go up the little hill near our camp. Had to roll back and mash it to wind it up enough in 4th gear to go… Managed to drive 700 miles home last night only coming to a complete stop about 3 times. Doesn’t give you warm fuzzies when the shop says “hmmmm, that’s probably bad”.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
Well….I might have spoke too soon about 100k with no issues on my F250, yesterday morning on my sons deer hunt in NM I lost 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Hour and a half before daylight we wanted to hunt the opposite end of the unit, truck wouldn’t go up the little hill near our camp. Had to roll back and mash it to wind it up enough in 4th gear to go… Managed to drive 700 miles home last night only coming to a complete stop about 3 times. Doesn’t give you warm fuzzies when the shop says “hmmmm, that’s probably bad”.
That sucks

Fatcamp

WKR

Which transmission?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like a gas hog. Like the old Ford 460.
I’m running a 460 in my ‘96 still and it doesn’t come close to 16 mpg, 12.5 on highway is most I’ve ever seen. I have 4.11 gears so the good thing is it doesn’t drop a bunch towing heavy, usually above 10.

I’d love a new truck but hard to justify the cost at the point in my life. I’ve shopped a bunch last few years and my mechanic who specializes in diesel told me to either buy gas, or an older diesel in the 7.3-6.0 Ford years and plan to put some money in it, and drive.

The newer ones scare him too, unless under warranty and owner is wealthy.

I’d still love a new truck though!

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
I’m running a 460 in my ‘96 still and it doesn’t come close to 16 mpg, 12.5 on highway is most I’ve ever seen. I have 4.11 gears so the good thing is it doesn’t drop a bunch towing heavy, usually above 10.

I’d love a new truck but hard to justify the cost at the point in my life. I’ve shopped a bunch last few years and my mechanic who specializes in diesel told me to either buy gas, or an older diesel in the 7.3-6.0 Ford years and plan to put some money in it, and drive.

The newer ones scare him too, unless under warranty and owner is wealthy.

I’d still love a new truck though!
Good point