Dieting.....

Beanyray

FNG
I do intermittent fasting and it works for me. Basically I just skip breakfast ( for me its not the most important meal of the day) and try not not to eat late at night. I see good results from it and I really don't miss it, I just drink black coffee in the mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
A low carb high fat diet has lost 50 pounds off me since april. I exercise about 3 times a week and have just restarted my gym membership. The most important thing is just doing it.

DavePwns

WKR
Nothing beats consistency with nutrition and exercise. A lot of people start too drastically (I.E. Completely cutting out sugar or trying some fad diet and trying to workout 2 hours 5 days a week) and within 1-2 months give they give it up and binge eat and stop working out. It's much better to consistently have realistic goals that you can achieve and stick with it long term, and when I say long term I mean a lifestyle change. We as humans work off of momentum and the more consistently you do something, the less will power is needed and it just becomes a part of who you are.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
I had to start treating sugar like crack. I don't touch the stuff as it was terribly addicting for me. I like P90X3 for exercise, but there is a lot of ways to make it happen. My diet basically is whatever my wife is eating though, which happens to be a keto type diet. Good luck. The holidays is the perfect time to start dieting, as you won't go backwards before you start.

YBPS

WKR
Cut out refined sugar and processed meats while you limmit the time you eat during the day to 8 hours or less. Then get into the gym and lift and run.

Getting the hours down on when you eat to 8 hours or less is key. Do some research on intermittent fasting. It will change your life if you do it right.

*zap*

WKR
Cut out carbs. It's the easiest diet to stick to. I don't know anyone who is sustaining a calorie deficit diet long term. As far as workout. Anyone who thinks that pumping iron is going to keep you in good shape past the age of 35 should go to their local gym and see how many people aren't in shape. Then look at the girls on the treadmills and stair climbers that are in much better shape than the men bench pressing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yup, but if you can manage to do both cardio and strength training regularly you can work toward a complete fitness level.

jp0212

FNG
Hope it's ok to throw this out there, but I started a fitness and nutrition blog geared specifically for hunters. I would advise you stay away from Keto, Atkins, South Beach or any other crazy restrictive diet. What others have said is more or less correct, its completely a numbers game. Less calories in vs calories you expend. The key to healthy weight loss that will stay off and leave you feeling great and healthy is a well balanced meal plan. My website is Hunt the Mountain if you would like to check it. I would also be more than happy to spend some time on the phone if needed. If you are curious, I have a BS in Kinesiology with an emphasis on Nutrition and Physiology. I was also a trainer for a few years before changing my career path and going back to school for something else.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Hope it's ok to throw this out there, but I started a fitness and nutrition blog geared specifically for hunters. I would advise you stay away from Keto, Atkins, South Beach or any other crazy restrictive diet. What others have said is more or less correct, its completely a numbers game. Less calories in vs calories you expend. The key to healthy weight loss that will stay off and leave you feeling great and healthy is a well balanced meal plan. My website is Hunt the Mountain if you would like to check it. I would also be more than happy to spend some time on the phone if needed. If you are curious, I have a BS in Kinesiology with an emphasis on Nutrition and Physiology. I was also a trainer for a few years before changing my career path and going back to school for something else.

I'm curious to know what you consider so crazy restrictive about a Ketogenic diet?

jp0212

FNG
Restricting your carbohydrate intake down to 5% is completely unnecessary and very restrictive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with carbohydrates in general, simply certain types of carbohydrates people should avoid. Things like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and legumes are incredibly good for you. Essentially, people should strive for more of a whole food type diet and avoid processed foods. The biggest issues with the keto diet relate to fiber intake and Ketoacidosis. People in general, but specifically Americans, are already fiber deficient. As an adult male you should take in about 38g of fiber per day (women should get about 25). If you follow a keto diet as intended and run a 2000 Calorie diet, at 5% carbs, you would consume about 100 Calories which equates to 25g (carbs). It is physically impossible to get the daily fiber requirement of 38g when you are only consuming 25g of Carbohydrates (unless you supplement). Regarding being in a state of Ketosis, that is acceptable but not advised for long periods due to the impact it has on blood pH levels and hormone production. Not to mention, you are essentially teetering on the line of Ketoacidosis which can be detrimental and even fatal.

I will say without a doubt, doing the keto diet is better than being 100lbs overweight. No argument there. If it is optimal health you are striving for along with weightloss, the keto diet is not a good option. Simply reduce your calories, strive for balanced meals and try to eat a diverse spectrum of whole foods.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Great reply. I have been using a Keto diet to enjoy very good weight loss results. I am down 50 lbs or so since April of this year. I do however, have my reservations regarding the diet and I have been contemplating ways to wean myself towards a more balanced diet as I approach my weight loss goals. Hopefully I can introduce some more carbs but keep processed foods and refined sugars to none. It is a fine balance for some people with certain body types. I have had good results with Keto, but I am not convinced it is the end all be all regarding ultimate health.

Restricting your carbohydrate intake down to 5% is completely unnecessary and very restrictive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with carbohydrates in general, simply certain types of carbohydrates people should avoid. Things like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and legumes are incredibly good for you. Essentially, people should strive for more of a whole food type diet and avoid processed foods. The biggest issues with the keto diet relate to fiber intake and Ketoacidosis. People in general, but specifically Americans, are already fiber deficient. As an adult male you should take in about 38g of fiber per day (women should get about 25). If you follow a keto diet as intended and run a 2000 Calorie diet, at 5% carbs, you would consume about 100 Calories which equates to 25g (carbs). It is physically impossible to get the daily fiber requirement of 38g when you are only consuming 25g of Carbohydrates (unless you supplement). Regarding being in a state of Ketosis, that is acceptable but not advised for long periods due to the impact it has on blood pH levels and hormone production. Not to mention, you are essentially teetering on the line of Ketoacidosis which can be detrimental and even fatal.

I will say without a doubt, doing the keto diet is better than being 100lbs overweight. No argument there. If it is optimal health you are striving for along with weightloss, the keto diet is not a good option. Simply reduce your calories, strive for balanced meals and try to eat a diverse spectrum of whole foods.
"Keto" has become a term that's means something other than the academic definition. I don't think very many people are keeping their carbs below 5 percent long term. When you try to talk about the keto diet in academic terms or try to put it into a 2000 calorie box it doesn't make sense. I believe when you go on a low carb diet long term, without the grain screwing up your gut bacteria and your energy levels running off the glucose rollercoaster, your body changes the way it operates and the academic rules, that were all based off the "balanced diet", no longer apply.

jp0212

FNG
Sorry, but that isn't correct. The keto diet is specifically based on a macronutrient breakdown of 75% Fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs. The simply fact is that keeping your carbohydrate intake below 30% for an extended period of time can be harmful to your body over the long term. Also, putting it in a 2,000 calorie "box" makes absolute sense considering the average adult male wanting to put themselves on a restrictive diet aimed at healthy fat loss would fall somewhere between 1,800 and 2,100 calories.

Your statement regarding your body changing the way it operates, with respect, is not correct. Your body does not "change" how it operates. You have to consider how we as humans survived for thousands of years. We never new how or where a meal was coming from. As such, our bodies have developed multiple fall back methods for energy production. The human body relies first on carbohydrates, then fats, then protein for energy production. The only caveat is that the brain can never technically rely on protein breakdown, only the conversion of protein to glucose which is very difficult for the body. Glucose is not bad, but rather critical to our body. Not to mention, there are a significant amount of nutrients associated with Carbohydrate intake our body needs (fiber for example).The simple truth, the body was meant to survive on carbohydrates, fat and protein. Maintaining ideal health relies on the consumption of all. If you want to eliminate grains, go for it, but make sure you account for the fiber loss elsewhere (i.e. legumes, vegetables and nuts). The thought that our bodies were meant to be in a constant state of ketosis is simply incorrect as is the myth of the "glucose rollercoster". A balanced meal that includes fats and protein along with carbs will not cause a spike and drop. in energy. Eating processed crap food will.

Sorry, but I just cant stand for this kind of "facts". The American heart association, doctors, and nutritionists have been recommending your advice for a long time while Americans have gotten fatter. The correct fad of low carb have saved countless people and improved their lives. I'm tired of hearing so called experts trash it because it goes against what they were taught in academia. The books you read in the 90's were written in the 7 OP's from research done in the 50's. Its common knowledge that we shouldn't feed our dogs corn products and grain. It's also common knowledge that finishing cows on grain put marble in their muscle. When it comes to us, however we don't see that most carbohydrates are just a cheap convenient way to feed the masses. Man was around for 100's of thousands of years before agriculture. Agriculture has been around for 10,000 years, but the availability of most of today's carbs has only been here for a couple of generations. Over the past 20 years, I've tried most diets including the one you're recommending. Coming into it with no knowledge and an open mind let me come to the conclusion that I feel best on low carb. I don't know of a single person who has sustained a 2000 calorie diet for more than a few months. I think experts like you have lead America into obesity and now that all the evidence is staring you in the face, you just can't admit you were wrong all these years.

jp0212

FNG
Thanks ironic, someone with no education on a subject attacking someone with a degree in what is being discussed. Welcome to the internet. More ironic, I was a personal trainer for years and helped LOTS of people get into the best shapes of their lives on exactly what I am discussing. Did you not see me clearly state above grains are not necessary? You can easily get the carbs you need from other sources, the key is making sure you consume enough fiber. Are you really comparing us to dogs and cows? That’s plain silly. For every person you have found that lost weight on keto, I’ll find five that did it with a well balanced meal plan. Maybe we will just agree to disagree. You keep believing everything you hear on podcasts, I’ll stick to what I learned at a nationally recognized institution. Also note, what I advocate couldn’t be farther from the food pyramid, which seems to be what you are hinting at. I advise people keep their intake of protein at 40%, carbs at 30-40% and fat at 20-30%.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Good paints fellas. Respectful discussion of contrary viewpoints is great to read. I'm wondering how long term Keto dieters manage to do so well, if the Ketogenic state is harmful? Dr. Dom D'Agostino comes to mind. He has been following a very strict Keto diet for a couple decades now. He seems to be very healthy. What are the harmful effects he should be experiencing?

jp0212

FNG
Good paints fellas. Respectful discussion of contrary viewpoints is great to read. I'm wondering how long term Keto dieters manage to do so well, if the Ketogenic state is harmful? Dr. Dom D'Agostino comes to mind. He has been following a very strict Keto diet for a couple decades now. He seems to be very healthy. What are the harmful effects he should be experiencing?

The simple truth is you can find instances of every single diet, good or bad, where individuals are "doing well". That by no means indicates the diet is ideal for the human body. Donald Watson was one of the earliest vegans (mid 40's) who continued that lifestyle for approximately 60 years. He lived to be 95. Does that mean you can sustain your life on a vegan diet. Absolutely. Is it good for you? No, not at all. I promise if you search hard enough you will find people who have gone decades with an eating disorder (i.e. binge and purge) and no one is the wiser. Doesn't mean they are doing great. Same with Dr. Dom. He is highly educated on human physiology and nutrition, and as a pioneer in what we know today as the modern Keto diet (ketogenic diets have been around for over 100 years) he almost certainly has a broad understanding of the nutritional necessity of certain macronutrients. At a minimum I would guarantee he understands the necessity of fiber and the measures necessary to minimize the alteration in your blood pH levels. The simple truth, we can all find examples of people, even entire groups of people, who have lived a certain way and been ok. Sure, the Inuit tribes have survived for extended periods on high fat, low carb diets out of necessity. That doesn't make it ideal. Look at many Asian cultures. They eat rice at almost every meal, yet they stick around to be 90-100 years old like it's nothing. If you look at almost every other culture in the world, their diet consists of fresh foods. The Inuit tribes consumed all fresh game and fish (LUCKY!!), Asians consume lean meats/fish, rice and vegetables at almost every meal, including many pickled foods. Americans aren't getting fat because they are eating balanced meals, they are getting fat because the average meal they consume is well over 1,000 calories of pure junk.

Last edited:

bozeman

WKR
The 'fast food' society and convenience is fueling the 'overweight' phenomenon........I think people just trying to eat healthy is a big step......

Vids

WKR
Great thread, many inspiring stories here!

I'm 5'10". In 2011 I was 240, by 2013 I was 185. I lost the weight by tracking calories RELIGIOUSLY. Every single bite, mark it down. The calorie tracker I use (Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople) lays out your fat, carb and protein intake goals. I only had trouble getting my fat intake under the goal, I love carbs and protein and those always seemed to fit within the guidelines they had for me. For me, keeping a low fat diet made a big difference and the weight came off.

I'm currently at 215, I'd like to be at 195 and still working on it. Having three little kids and a hectic schedule makes eating healthy 100% of the time a challenge.

Losing the weight, learning what foods are healthy, and knowing when to stop eating were huge steps for me. It's much easier to not gain weight now - eat a handful of almonds when I'm starving, order the 6" sub instead of the 12", I'm not going to die if I'm feeling hungry right now, don't go back for seconds because I can eat something in 3 hours if I'm hungry again, etc. I know how many calories my body really needs and can stop myself before I get out of control.