Different arrow for tournaments?

Beendare

WKR
I used to shoot a lighter arrow with a different sight housing on my Compound when I was trying to be competitive....then shoot a 140gr heavier arrow for hunting. Doing this with a compound is much different due to sight picture involved in stickbow hunting.

Anyone shooting a lighter arrow for trad tournaments?

Up until now I've been trying to match trajectory on my light and heavy bows....so I see the same sight picture on both bows.

Big advantage in 3D to have a lighter flat shooting arrow......but at this point...for me personally, I don't think its worth screwing up my sight picture for hunting flip flopping between a 543gr and 440gr arrow.

Anyone shooting different setups?

oldgoat

WKR
I don't switch, I actually don't find a faster arrow to help with me shooting split finger low anchor and shooting instinctive gap. If you shoot three under and a dedicated aiming method, faster arrow might help. I try to make everything shoot in the mid 170's

GregB

WKR
I started shooting in a local league this year. I am using the same arrows that I use for hunting. For me the main reason I'm shooting in the league is to get better for hunting season, so it makes sense to use the same set up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've always shot lighter limbs for 3D and consequently lighter arrows. I've rolled out the hunting setup far enough ahead of hunting season to where it's not an issue. Doesn't take that long to adjust.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I've always shot lighter limbs for 3D and consequently lighter arrows. I've rolled out the hunting setup far enough ahead of hunting season to where it's not an issue. Doesn't take that long to adjust.

Yeah, my hunting continues year round here hunting hogs, late season deer etc. If it was more clear cut; Tourney season then hunt season....it would be an easier decision.

Seems like the compound shooters do a lot more for a couple points in 3D....myself included when I played that game.

R Davis

FNG
My light limb 3D setup shoots 175fps. My heavy limb hunting setup also happens to shoot 175fps. It’s easy enough for me to adjust to the slight difference in the sight picture.

oldgoat

WKR
My light limb 3D setup shoots 175fps. My heavy limb hunting setup also happens to shoot 175fps. It’s easy enough for me to adjust to the slight difference in the sight picture.
Yeah, this is what I strive for but it doesn't answer the faster arrow thing to build on distance judging errors!

R Davis

FNG
Im pretty sure I read that all of the top WA3D instinctive class guys in Europe shoot pretty fast rigs, well over 200fps. They’ve dominated that class. That is, until our boy Ken brought home silver this year! I think he shoots a fast rig as well, border cvx limbs.

High anchor with a long fast arrow= points

oldgoat

WKR
Im pretty sure I read that all of the top WA3D instinctive class guys in Europe shoot pretty fast rigs, well over 200fps. They’ve dominated that class. That is, until our boy Ken brought home silver this year! I think he shoots a fast rig as well, border cvx limbs.

High anchor with a long fast arrow= points

^^^^this! If I was just starting shooting, this is probably how I would shoot, or if I was wanting to get really serious about winning 3d and not just use it as a way to practice for hunting!

Don't switch! Bad idea.
For me, the main reason to shoot competitively at the range, is to sharpen hunting skills!
Confidence level couldn't be higher when I see a deer in the woods knowing I've made that shot thousands of times. Change something - you're second guessing.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I have the same.... Like you, I do it so my sight picture doesn't change much for hunting.

I was hoping the guys shooting one of those 200fps+ rigs would chime in. I'm guessing my Bows are easily capable of that with a 400gr-ish arrow. I might just play with it this winter to do something different.

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, I have the same.... Like you, I do it so my sight picture doesn't change much for hunting.

I was hoping the guys shooting one of those 200fps+ rigs would chime in. I'm guessing my Bows are easily capable of that with a 400gr-ish arrow. I might just play with it this winter to do something different.

Man it just depends on how good your concentration and attention to detail is! Mines pretty low these days, I tried switching to 3 under and a fixed crawl last spring, mainly for 3d. It worked wonderful when I remembered what I was doing and actually judged the distance to a number value, but I've been shooting split with a low anchor so long that I went into auto mode and would miss because I would basically revert back to instinctive gap automatically! My feelings are if you want to really do it, you need to get a very dissimilar bow to what you hunt with and shoot two very different ways so maybe one doesn't mess up the other one, didn't work for me though, so I might not be the one too listen too!

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Shot a tourney today, unmarked 2 arrow with animal targets out to 60.
The couple guys that beat me shot light fast arrows and were more consistent on the second arrow..... i dropped a few of those... which is something i need to work on. Shot the long 35-60yd targets well.

I try to guage my shooting by one arrow kills- feel pretty good about those with my hunting setup today, now to go kill some hogs with this rig!

Torian13

FNG
I find an arrow setup that my specific bow likes and stick with that arrow. However, I do switch bows for hunting and tournaments.