Different arrow practice with during off season?

Fry

FNG
I hunt with Easton Axis 5mm 340s. They are pretty pricy to replace. Does anyone shoot something different ie cheaper more disposable for practicing. I would switch back to the easton axis a month or two leading up to season.

I don't compete or anything. Any decent budget arrow worth shooting over summer? Or is changing arrows off season bad idea in general? Thanks all.

you most likely will need to resight in and retune if you want to shoot accurately with the new arrow. and then do it all over again before season. i personally wouldn't bother with all that just to save 40 or 50 bucks. maybe get a dozen "practice" axis and a dozen you hunt with but for me id just stick with one arrow. ebay and black ovis with the rokslide promo code usually has pretty good prices on axis.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Ditch the overpriced arrows and buy cheaper ones that are just as accurate and kill the same. Problem solved.

Practice with the same arrows you hunt with and remember, $25. is a dinner tip at a cheap restaurant, you spend far more on tags, travel and camping/hunting gear. Don't get cheap on arrows...and don't aim at the same spot over & over Robin.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re breaking that many arrows you might look at why, rather than switching arrows.

But if you insist on shooting a cheaper arrow I would just make the switch and stick with whatever you choose year round. Gold tip kinetic hunters are a few bucks cheaper per shaft and similar in weight.

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
you most likely will need to resight in and retune if you want to shoot accurately with the new arrow. and then do it all over again before season. i personally wouldn't bother with all that just to save 40 or 50 bucks. maybe get a dozen "practice" axis and a dozen you hunt with but for me id just stick with one arrow. ebay and black ovis with the rokslide promo code usually has pretty good prices on axis.
I have to resight / fine tune my bow all time, lots of shooting causes cable stretch, temp and weather plays a role, if I do 3D it's a general procedure prior the comp...I shoot different arrows for hunting, 3D and training in the garage and adjust the sight accordingly...a matter of course for me....

Zac

WKR
Unless you have a press and some extensive tuning knowledge I would not try this. The cost savings would be minimal at best, and the PITA factor would be gigantic.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's wisdom in Rob's post. Nothing prepares you for the stress of being at full draw on an animal, but the thought of having to explain $25 missing from my quiver to my wife comes close.
I'm not sure my wife even knows what a quiver is, let alone what's in it.

My focus is hunting, so ALL my shooting year round is with my hunting setup (minus BH's), including tournaments.

Rick653

FNG
I think "practice like you play" applies to almost everything, and in this case hunting. With exception of broadheads, you should shoot the same set up all the time

If you don't already you should fletch and build your own arrows. You'll get your money back almost immediately, and have the satisfaction of building your own setup

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
Don't shoot groups, don't miss target, problem solved
Ok simple yet effective. I like to shoot groups of three. But i definitely lose an arrow every now and again.

I thought it was important to see your groups? I guess if im on target im on target…

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
I think "practice like you play" applies to almost everything, and in this case hunting. With exception of broadheads, you should shoot the same set up all the time

If you don't already you should fletch and build your own arrows. You'll get your money back almost immediately, and have the satisfaction of building your own setup
I build my own yes. And i guess i dont need to group. Just aim and hit the target.

406unltd

WKR
You gotta train how you fight. That means if hunting is your priority then those tools need to be used. Hunting bow, backup bow, and hunting arrows.

Muscle memory, and confidence in the exact weapon for best results. This doesn’t mean you can’t have a target bow and shoot some fat arrows ect. Lots of people do that after season ends. But I’m not going to shoot a different arrow setup out of my hunting bow for practice and get use to the cast of that setup, or any other difference in tune ect vs my actual hunting setup.

Changing important things like the arrow adds too much variance. That kind of change can cost you.

Rob5589

WKR
Ok simple yet effective. I like to shoot groups of three. But i definitely lose an arrow every now and again.

I thought it was important to see your groups? I guess if im on target im on target…
No idea how important a group is compared to multiple single spots. I shoot at a single spot at different locations on the target. If I hit them all as expected, I take that as good as a single group. No more busted nocks, torn vanes, or busted arrows.

No idea how important a group is compared to multiple single spots. I shoot at a single spot at different locations on the target. If I hit them all as expected, I take that as good as a single group. No more busted nocks, torn vanes, or busted arrows.

Exactly...just use different dots on every shot.

BL28'.JPG