Difficulty finding “best” scope, help plz!

Rail505

FNG
I have a few questions/concerns when it comes to choosing a rifle scope for a Remington 700 .308. Most threads didnt address what i was looking for specifically, or my search came up empty.
Most of what i know on guns comes from self defense/tactical shooting, not sure if it translates well to hunting. Planning to bag an elk in New Mexico next season if all goes well.

Looking for FFP, MIL reticle, MIL turrets and reliability. Looking at Trijicon scopes right now since i have come to trust their reliability from having an RMR on my edc Glock.
Looked at Leupold, but didnt really find a scope with the features i would like, mostly them not having MIL reticles. I like their products, i have their BX-4 10x42, and plan on purchasing either the Santiam SX-5, GR 12-40x60 or 20-60x80 (researching this topic/purchase next)

Would a 1-8x28 Accupower or 1-8x28 Credo be good for hunting?
Or would the 2-10x32 be better suited? I dont plan on shooting an elk over 400 yards realistically. Reason for these choices is i want the lower magnification in case the animal comes close range, or a quick both eyes open follow up shot from some what close range. My brain keeps treating this scope buying situation like buying a Red Dot for an AR, so thats why im stuck on those.
Also, If you have any reccomendations on a scope that is FFP, MIL reticle, MIL turrets i would be all ears.

Side note. Is a complex reticle like MIL or MOA even “necessary” on a hunting rifle/scope?
If i was to find the dope on the rifle, would a simple crosshair’s reticle be sufficient for elk hunting? Or is the MIL reticle good to have while an elk is in the crosshairs?

JakeM51

FNG
Nighforce ATACR 4-16x50, or 42mm. FFP mil r reticle, mil C reticle, mil TX, reticle. All are illuminated. Also the NX8 2.5-20x50 FFp mil.

BadDogPSD

WKR
With a .308 & heavy bullets for elk, you'll be dropping 35+ inches at 400 yards. I like mil scopes but tend to only dial for elevation and hold for wind. A laser range finder in conjunction with a ballistic app or a Kestrel meter is very nice to have, but takes a little time & effort to become proficient in their usage.
What's your budget? Do you want FFP or SFP? Will you be packing in? Is weight a concern?
I've had several SWFA optics and they all have been pretty darn good for the price. Vortex has some good options as does Nightforce. I'm currently looking at the Nightforce NX8 with either the Mil-C or the Mil-XT reticle to put on one of my hunting rifles. Leupold MK5 with the TMR reticle is another one to consider.

JFK

WKR
For your intended use you really have two routes to go. A standard hunting scope...variable power with capped turrets that you don’t touch while hunting. The benefits of this type of scope are that they are (much) lighter, more simple design. A lot of guys, myself included would say these are good out to around 300 or so yards. Some have ballistic reticles that allow drop compensation for longer shots, but you have to be able to practice in a similar altitude as where you’re hunting. There are lots of scopes made in this category that work well.

The next type of scope would be a scope that reliably dials. For 400 yards max distance you are really just starting to get into the realm of seeing the benefits of this type scope. They offer much more precise holds, but at a cost. They are significantly heavier and require you to range your target, reference a drop chart and spin your turret. Not a huge deal but does complicate things when you’ve got an animal in front of you. There are fewer scopes in this category that will reliably work and you have to have a better understanding of of your bullets flight to use them correctly. You must have good data to use the ballistic apps, and you must go out and shoot longer distances to verify that data.

In either case you don’t need the big magnification. 3-9x40 or something similar is more than enough for 400yd shots.

If you are new to hunting, you might consider getting a solid 3x9x40 scope and get comfortable out to 300yds.

The SWFA is tough, reliable and should dial very well. On a limited budget, it’s what almost anyone here would choose. But, the glass quality is so-so, there’s no factory zero stop (yes there is a third party option), turrets are not lockable, and the windage turret is obnoxious.

So, if you are not so limited, there are scopes in the $2k range that might make it worthwhile with a lot of very nice features.

The next time I have $2k for a scope I’ll probably go to the NX8 or whatever beats it by then.

OP
Rail505

Rail505

FNG
BadDogPsd, JFK, thank you. I think i would fall under the second category, i would want the option to refrence my dope card and dial in.

AkMtnRunner, i would like exposed, lockable or return to zero turrets, and i would like glass quality that i would enjoy for the next 10 years or so. Even in their higher priced offerings its not an option? Will research their offerings more.

i do like the the 2-20x50 by nf, i just read a review about it and while the reviewer liked it, he mentioned the glass was so so and the turret adjustment was not as tactile as he would like, while comparing it to higher priced options. I think it would suit me just fine.

AK_Hobie

FNG
I really like my LRHS and LRTS for dialing. I found a 4-18 LRHSi on eBay for just over $500 and picked one up last spring from Doug when he had a smoking deal on the 3-12 LRTS. I have the 3-12 on a Christensen Mesa and have shot clay pigeons siting upright on a hill at 1000 yds. The glass isn’t as good as my Zeiss but I feel confident that the will reliably RTZ. I think Doug still has the LRHS for $750

2ski

WKR
To answer your thought about close range and thinking about it like a red dot, you're over thinking the close factor. The world has mostly been shooting animals on a 3-9 scope for many years. Set at 3, you're plenty good for a close shot. And sight in the rifle with a 200 yard zero if that's the way you go

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP