Digiscoping - Magview vs. Ollin

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anyone with an Ollin only place the magnetic ring on the eyepiece when they want to digiscope? Not sure I want to leave it on as I really like the cap system of the Swaro ATC.
Yeah. Me. Same spotter and I’ve noticed the view is a lot better for me without the Ollin part on there. I like the bevel on that atc eyepiece.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I you have a newer iphone with the wireless charging ability, do you have to mount the Magnet to the back of your phone case? It's already a magnet - maybe it's just not strong enough? Seems like this would be a no brainer on the engineering side for Magview.

Not having to swap out your case, loosing features of your phone, and indexing seem to be the biggest "cons" in this thread. Not having to use that magnet plate would tackle 2 of these, and the folks that are using the app say the indexing isn't issue when in grid view.

I like the ScopeCam adapter but it looks like it only aligns to 1 lens of the camera (iphone user here). Which would make moving it an extra step in the process. Other than that it seems like a clear choice!

What am I missing here (using on NL's and ATX)

ldrathman

WKR
I you have a newer iphone with the wireless charging ability, do you have to mount the Magnet to the back of your phone case? It's already a magnet - maybe it's just not strong enough? Seems like this would be a no brainer on the engineering side for Magview.

Not having to swap out your case, loosing features of your phone, and indexing seem to be the biggest "cons" in this thread. Not having to use that magnet plate would tackle 2 of these, and the folks that are using the app say the indexing isn't issue when in grid view.

I like the ScopeCam adapter but it looks like it only aligns to 1 lens of the camera (iphone user here). Which would make moving it an extra step in the process. Other than that it seems like a clear choice!

What am I missing here (using on NL's and ATX)

Great point on the integration with the magnet already built in the new iphones. My gut tells me that as you mentioned, it wouldn’t be strong enough for most mounts, but I may be wrong.

When you say it only aligns to 1 lens, what do you mean? I may be misunderstanding, but don’t all the digiscope mounts only index to one lense? Scopecam is coming out soon (January) with a new mount where there is no adjustment on the adapter arm, once set, it will index to a single lens similar to the Ollin. The current ‘universal’ mount lets you move and then tighten the adapter arm so you can index over whichever of the 3 lenses you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I believe they all setup to one lens but this company’s can be adjusted rather quickly to the other lens (on the back of the phone) to give better quality zoom features. I’ve bought one of these and will report back once I get my hands on it.

Here is the video that shows what I mean. The OLLIN and the Magview can’t do this. He test this towards the end of the video-kinda cool (IMO)

Tahoe1305

WKR
He’s after higher end stuff which is sweet.

But if anyone is after some cheaper universal adapters, I’ve used the below for two years and it works well. You do need to set it each time. But takes less than a minute.

SOLOMARK Universal Upgrade Cell Phone Adapter Mount, Quick Aligned Smartphone Digiscoping Adapter for Monocular Binoculars Spotting Scope,Spring Type Stretchable Clip for All Brands of Smartphone https://a.co/d/43sau6g

You mount a metal plate to your phone case with the Magview, not a magnet. The magnet is in the eyepiece.

And no, with the new phones with wireless charging the connection isn't strong enough to hold the phone in place without the plate.

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Still extremely happy with my scopecam adapter. IMO it is far better than the alternatives discussed.

ChrisAU

WKR
Anyone who says an Ollin isn’t the easiest to use likely hasn’t used one. I put a case on my phone, a ring on my spotters eyepiece, and I can literally throw my phone at my spotter and be digiscoping. Wish they would hurry up with more bino options

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone who says an Ollin isn’t the easiest to use likely hasn’t used one. I put a case on my phone, a ring on my spotters eyepiece, and I can literally throw my phone at my spotter and be digiscoping. Wish they would hurry up with more bino options

Awesome! This was is similar but a little cheaper.

I ordered the SCOPE CAM adapter and love it! I sent a support email and Reggie responded same day. I have a small magnet on the back of my case that indexes to the mounting arm so it’s setup perfectly at attachment. The mounting arm is adjusted to the phones cam at initial setup and never again. I can use any photo app I choose or just the phones camera app.

I literally pull it out, slap the mount on my phone. Then decide if I want to slip it on my binos or spotter - it will attach to either with no additional parts or accessories - or extra steps…you just tighten down to either eyepiece.

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome! This was is similar but a little cheaper.

I ordered the SCOPE CAM adapter and love it! I sent a support email and Reggie responded same day. I have a small magnet on the back of my case that indexes to the mounting arm so it’s setup perfectly at attachment. The mounting arm is adjusted to the phones cam at initial setup and never again. I can use any photo app I choose or just the phones camera app.

I literally pull it out, slap the mount on my phone. Then decide if I want to slip it on my binos or spotter - it will attach to either with no additional parts or accessories - or extra steps…you just tighten down to either eyepiece.

Same here. Love it. For me, its a lot better than having an oddly shaped phone case and lover that one adapter works on any optic.