Digiscoping with Swarovski BTX?

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
So...since I’m done hunting for the year I’m obsessing over my future hunts and equipment I want to get. I’m thinking about picking up a Swarovski ATX or BTX with 95mm objective in a year or two. I like the idea of the BTX being comfortable to look through but like the higher magnification of the ATX. I know I can get to 60x with the extender on the BTX. I’m just not sure how digiscoping would be with the BTX. Anybody digiscope with the BTX and what are your thoughts?

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
So...since I’m done hunting for the year I’m obsessing over my future hunts and equipment I want to get. I’m thinking about picking up a Swarovski ATX or BTX with 95mm objective in a year or two. I like the idea of the BTX being comfortable to look through but like the higher magnification of the ATX. I know I can get to 60x with the extender on the BTX. I’m just not sure how digiscoping would be with the BTX. Anybody digiscope with the BTX and what are your thoughts?
I am actually debating this same thing.. I have the STX with the 115mm objective and I love digiscoping through it. I want the advantage of using two eyes with high zoom but I don’t want to give up my digiscoping haha!

Elkangle

WKR
I am actually debating this same thing.. I have the STX with the 115mm objective and I love digiscoping through it. I want the advantage of using two eyes with high zoom but I don’t want to give up my digiscoping haha!

Can you compare the 115 to the 95 ?

It's hard to give up the stx for the fixed power btx....no idea why they don't come out with a 15-50 BTX NL 🤤🤞🤞🤞🤞

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can you compare the 115 to the 95 ?

It's hard to give up the stx for the fixed power btx....no idea why they don't come out with a 15-50 BTX NL
That would be over $10k for just the eyepiece lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I find it difficult to digiscope with my BTX. Maybe it is because I’m so used to the ATX but I have a lot of trouble getting things to work. I thought in theory it would be great to look thru one of the eyepieces and record thru the other but it doesn’t work so well in practice.

It's not impossible to digi scope with the BTX but it definitely is easier off of the STX or ATX eyepiece. And as far as difference between 95 and 115. I've used both side by side and only ever noticed a slight difference at first and last light of the day. During normal hours the difference is very subtle. You need to decide if that extra bell girth is worth lugging around for that upgrade in light transmission.

Last edited:

4ester

WKR
I find it difficult to digiscope with my BTX. Maybe it is because I’m so used to the ATX but I have a lot of trouble getting things to work. I thought in theory it would be great to look thru one of the eyepieces and record thru the other but it doesn’t work so well in practice.

This is exactly what I do. I have to put the forehead rest all the way down to put on the phone with phoneskope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked into whether you can use Swarovski’s Digiscoping adapter for ASP-C or full frame sensor cameras? That’s what I’m going to be doing this fall with my Sony A7Riv and A7Siii on my ATX. I’ve heard that works INCREDIBLY well - rivals some of Sony’s super telephoto lenses! Although, it’s not as cheap as a phone adapter. Of course you could use a cheaper (and lighter) ASP-C camera and save some $$. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBrotzler

FNG
Who had success this fall with the BTX and phoneskope designed for it? Interested in hearing and seeing some pics.

Bighorn Ram from over 2 mi. The quality of the pictures and video really depends on how well your phone or camera lines up, and environmental factors such as wind, tripod stability and heat waves. Sometimes you get really nice pics... sometimes not so nice.20210908_180555.jpg

Jimss

WKR
I've pretty much given up on digiscoping. Quality of photos and video are considerably lower than through a large lense on high powered cameras/camcorders. As an example, for scouting purposes I have Nikon P900 that has an 83x ultrazoom lense. I also have a Canon with a 60x and a tiny Panasonic camcorder that also has a high power lens. It's nice to have several options to choose from. My digiscoping days are pretty much over. One of the only benefits I can think of with a digiscope is it's pretty easy to carry an Iphone and spotter around. My cameras/camcorder also aren't waterproof.

holzphoto

FNG
Today i used the btx and 115 to digiscope. this arizona wood pecker pretty much filled the frame, but i was very happy with the results. this is with the phone skope and iphone xr.

i did do a little editing in lightroom

IMG_2670small.jpg

Late to the party but this is from my first outing with the BTX/85mm and IPhone 12. I have used the ATX/65mm prior to this.

If you are glassing long and hard hours and want to take pics on the side I would go with the BTX. If you want to focus on taking pics and spend more time in your binos etc. go with the ATX/STX.

I think the BTX makes up for any deficit in magnification with the relaxed state your eyes are in, the “lack” of magnification does not hinder me what so ever.

Attachments

• AE873182-11D8-49D0-88D2-D27E47FF96F2.jpeg
    AE873182-11D8-49D0-88D2-D27E47FF96F2.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 57BD22D6-CAAB-4366-B223-9E0F71504D55.jpeg
    57BD22D6-CAAB-4366-B223-9E0F71504D55.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4B2AF11A-4934-415E-A7AC-98C27DFC0E71.jpeg
    4B2AF11A-4934-415E-A7AC-98C27DFC0E71.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 16