Digiscoping

11bhank

FNG
Would love to see some screen shots of bucks from digiscoping. I just want to compare different glass and what to expect. If you don’t care post the make of your spotting scope and the estimated distance. Looking to purchase a new spotting scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to see some screen shots of bucks from digiscoping. I just want to compare different glass and what to expect. If you don’t care post the make of your spotting scope and the estimated distance. Looking to purchase a new spotting scope.

Leica APO 20-60x80mm. Probably half a mile.

Attachments

• IMG_20191223_153046_01.jpg
    IMG_20191223_153046_01.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 72

fatrascal

WKR
This buck was too far out there for the range finder to get a reading. I'm guessing he was 1,800 to 2,000 yards away. I find that lighting conditions make all the difference between a good digiscope picture or a bad one. I've taken some bad pictures of animals two hundred yards away and some good pictures of animals 2,000 yards away. It's all about light conditions. And good optics. Fatrascal.20200426_072642.jpg

OP
11bhank

11bhank

FNG
That last picture of the buck at 1,800 to 2,000 yards was taken with the phone cam adapter on a Galaxy note 9 phone with a Swarovski atx 25x60x65 scope.Fatrascal.

That’s an impressive photo. I bet your atx is nice to look through.

fatrascal

WKR
Yes the atx is very nice. But any name brand scope that has top tier glass will give you good pictures and video. But you gotta have good lighting. Thanks for the compliment. Fatrascal.

OP
11bhank

11bhank

FNG
Yes the atx is very nice. But any name brand scope that has top tier glass will give you good pictures and video. But you gotta have good lighting. Thanks for the compliment. Fatrascal.

That’s good to know. I spend a lot of time hunting, just not out west. I can’t really justify spending over 2000 on a spotter right now for 7-9 days a year. I’m going to have to go the used route or get a vortex razor or similar. I’ve got the vortex razor 10x50 binos on a nice tripod, that set up worked good for me last year. This year I am going to a wilderness area that is very big and rugged, so I’m thinking a spotter would be beneficial and maybe save a few steps.

fatrascal

WKR
Here's the same buck, two years later, same drainage, about the same distance, same phone, same spotting scope but the sun was behind the clouds making my digiscoping pictures and videos not as good. Incidentally both of the pictures of these bucks were taken off of videos which I wish I knew how to post. But my point is that it will be tough to evaluate how good a scopes digiscoping ability will be from people's pictures. Leica, Zeiss, Kowa, Meopta, and others will give both good and bad digiscoping results but you will have better results with the ones I just mentioned. And before anyone gets mad at me I will say that I've seen plenty of good pictures taken with less expensive scopes as well. Like Vortex Razor etc. Digiscoping is addictive and I feel fulfilled by getting pictures and video of animals even if I don't fill my tag. Fatrascal.20200426_081455.jpg

OP
11bhank

11bhank

FNG
Here's the same buck, two years later, same drainage, about the same distance, same phone, same spotting scope but the sun was behind the clouds making my digiscoping pictures and videos not as good. Incidentally both of the pictures of these bucks were taken off of videos which I wish I knew how to post. But my point is that it will be tough to evaluate how good a scopes digiscoping ability will be from people's pictures. Leica, Zeiss, Kowa, Meopta, and others will give both good and bad digiscoping results but you will have better results with the ones I just mentioned. And before anyone gets mad at me I will say that I've seen plenty of good pictures taken with less expensive scopes as well. Like Vortex Razor etc. Digiscoping is addictive and I feel fulfilled by getting pictures and video of animals even if I don't fill my tag. Fatrascal.View attachment 175774

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right though, I’m just not going to be able to tell much difference in quality scopes by looking at pictures. I just wanted to get a general idea of what to expect from different scopes. I may just go ahead and get a razor if I can’t find a good deal on a used spotter.

fatrascal

WKR
Usually there are lots of deals in Rokslides optics classifieds. Another good source is monstermuleys.com classifieds. I wish you luck and let us know what you get. Fatrascal.