Digital Calipers

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to upgrade from the old Midway Dial Caliper to a digital. Is the Mitutoyo really worth the coin?
That’s what brand we buy for our quality dept at work where we depend on accuracy for our testing. Not sure if it’s worth the extra money but they are reliable

wapitibob

WKR
If you're measuring +- .001 their OK. That'll work fine for case length. For diameters get a 0-1 mic, for neck thickness get a pin mic, for depth get a depth mic.

JoeDirt

WKR
Save your money and get good dial calipers. Im a machinist I find my digital calipers are always dead for home use. I also find you can see .0005" on a dial where the digital just flashes the .0005"

JoeDirt

WKR
Didn't really think of battery life. How long are the batts lasting in these things for you guys?

Using caliper daily they seem to last a long time. (year or more) Sitting unused for months at home in my tool box I find them dead a lot. I just quit putting batteries in them.

So a bonus to higher end digital calipers is hand sweat. If you have sweaty hands cheap calipers will give you funny reads where the name brand seems to work a lot better. The issue is when the beam gets wet.

One other benefit to digital is being able to zero on lets say case length. You zero at the desired length and its easy to read you +- tolerances without doing math making it quicker and more reliable.

If I use calipers everyday hands down 8"-12" digital (6" suck), if they sit in my tool box for months a cheaper dial is the way to go!

Ffjmoore

FNG
I got sick of the harbor freight bs always breaking or jumping around. But did not want to spend the coin on a mitutoyo. I did some research and bought iGaging from Amazon. Use them for reloading and they have been great. Better than harbor freight by far.