Digital scouting

I'm looking for some help with digital scouting. I'm in the early stages of planning my first western mule deer hunt and having a hard time knowing what to look for when it comes to deciding on a location. Looking at a early season highcountry archery hunt in unit 444 but not totally committed to that particular unit. I'm not fishing for anyones secret spots or anything, just hoping to learn what to look for while using Google earth/OnX ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Robby Denning's book would help a lot with what you're asking about, its a good read.

With that said, I believe you need to find water and secure bedding cover during the early season. Assuming its warm out, deer will probably be finding thermal cover to bed in, ie. north slopes and shade. Highcountry in late August and early September can be unpredictable for weather though.

Merry Christmas!

Skyler

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Codyk315

FNG
I'm looking for some help with digital scouting. I'm in the early stages of planning my first western mule deer hunt and having a hard time knowing what to look for when it comes to deciding on a location. Looking at a early season highcountry archery hunt in unit 444 but not totally committed to that particular unit. I'm not fishing for anyones secret spots or anything, just hoping to learn what to look for while using Google earth/OnX ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am in the same boat, looking to do that same. This is one unit I am considering, as well as a few others.

For mule deer during archery season, look near and above treeline for units like 444 with a lot of high alpine terrain. I use the GE tilt feature and find good looking glassing locations that overlook large basins or drainages. Good luck!

rolocasi

FNG
Google earth using the tilt/2d view is a big help, just be prepared, usually i find that mountains are steeper in real life than how it is displayed on google earth. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Google earth is full of sh!t when trying to determine how steep something is in real life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
If you go into the settings (options) of Google earth and set elevation exaggeration to 1.5 it helps with the steepness of terrain. I've found its more accurate and give you a good idea what you're getting into, but seeing in person will always be best.
9f81d80efa6a447b7f8485cfd726ec2b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
444 is an OTC elk unit. That would be my #1 consideration in scouting that unit. The next thing to remember is deer are sparsely scattered across the area during archery season. You may need to cover lots of country to find the few pockets of bucks that exist. The more obvious things to consider is water, cover, and food.

OP
I
Thanks for the pointers guys! It's a bit overwhelming when you pull up a map and try to decide what is huntable and what's not worth a guys time.

thefever

FNG
For mule deer during archery season, look near and above treeline for units like 444 with a lot of high alpine terrain. I use the GE tilt feature and find good looking glassing locations that overlook large basins or drainages. Good luck!

I agree with this. From personal experience in my neck of the woods. The majority of the unit has great deer, and the majority of the unit is thick AF. Therefor, archery is tough. Do yourself a favor and give yourself the advantage of actually having opportunities by finding the places that are ARCHERY FRIENDLY. So units have it, some don't, and some are blended. Good luck!!