Dilemma, bolt action or 10/22 + gear

Rail505

FNG
Question pertaining to bolt action rifle sales during a pandemic + presidential election.
I have the chance to purchase a Bolt action rifle that i will hopefully be using foe my first hunt next season. A Remington 700 aac-sd 20” bull barrel in .308.
Or i can purchase a 10/22 takedown plus tent/camping gear.
I dont have a .22 at the moment and i have 7,031 rounds of mixed .22LR just begging to be burned up. My son is 5 going on 6, and i want him to start his “gun career”
My question is, should i skip the bolt action amd get the 10/22 plus tent/camping gear? My worry is that in 6 or 7 months, there wont be any bolt action rifles left due to the pandemic/new administration. Are bolt action rifles/hunting rifles treated the same as AR-15’s when it comes to the government trying to ban them therefore people buying them all up? (have never hunted or owned hunting firearms so not sure how they are “regulated”)

sndmn11

WKR
I think you'd have a whole heck of a lot more difficulty finding ammo for your bolt action then anything. A bolt action rifle shouldn't be hard to come by. If the other hear with the .22 is up to par, that would be my choice if you are sitting on that much .22 ammo.

jamo172

FNG
What tent/camping gear? I would say you'll be just fine to get the .22 and use that to get range time and then try and budget 350-500 for a bolt gun. Plus there is a lot of time to take your kids to the woods between now and next season.

Does the bolt gun have a scope?

OP
Rail505

Rail505

FNG
Camping gear im looking at is the Nemo/ First lite Scout bag, inflatable pad and the Kodiak tent. Tent is still up for grabs, not sure that is the one that would fit my needs best yet/still researching.
I can get a 10/22 take down for around 450, and i would be able to buy the bag and pad and also a red dot sight for my x95.

Fatcamp

WKR
My life would feel incomplete without an accurate bolt rifle with a reliable scope.

That said, a 10/22 with ammo to burn is a useful tool.

OP
Rail505

Rail505

FNG
Yeah i need to get out and shoot the 22 and show my son the way of guns

jamo172

FNG
Camping gear im looking at is the Nemo/ First lite Scout bag, inflatable pad and the Kodiak tent. Tent is still up for grabs, not sure that is the one that would fit my needs best yet/still researching.
I can get a 10/22 take down for around 450, and i would be able to buy the bag and pad and also a red dot sight for my x95.
I would go the route of the 22 and camping gear. Get the gear, spend time in the woods. You can use it to go out and scout for next season.

CHSD

WKR
I would buy the 10/22. I would even consider a cheaper non takedown and get a .22 handgun with the leftover money. I shoot my .22s more than I shoot my center fires nowadays. They are a blast!

Rockwell

FNG
With the political climate potentially changing, 10/22's will like be on the list and with that said they are cheap fun. My want to consider a nice bolt action .22 for more accurate fun.

Bolt guns are not high on the regulatoryt list, but semi auto weapons and hi capacity magazines are. There’s a lot of frantic talk about bolt guns being banned but we still have a 2nd amendment and a conservative Supreme Court that supports it. Read up on what it takes to change the constitution.

Antares

WKR
Hang on a sec.

I agree with everyone else, you should certainly have a .22 especially if you have a pile of ammo and young kids that you want to get started shooting. I would advocate for a bolt gun like a CZ 452/455/457. I like a bolt gun for kids and new shooters, everything happens slower, easy to confirm empty chamber (just leave the bolt open), easy to single feed. You can focus on the good fundamentals without the urge to just start pulling the trigger fast.

My question is this: what kind of hunt are you hoping to do? I can't think of many situations where a .22 and .308 are interchangeable.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a savage mark II G for $220 and love it. The trigger is fantastic. I was shooting my 7mm at 100 yards the other day and after I was done decided I'd try the 22 and shot a nice group with the factory irons.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Big squirrels. Really big squirrels.

The ROUS's are becoming a problem, a .22 won't get the job done!

The 10/22 has become an "assault rifle" in Washington, so I would put that on top of the list if it's something you want. You know that stupidity will eventually spread.

Threaded barrels are also on the gun-grabber ban list. If you plan to install a brake or suppressor on a rifle, that may become a priority to get done sooner than later.