Dilemma - Drew Nevada 71-79,91 Archery Mule Deer Tag

Brendan

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
3,673
Location
Boston, MA
So, it's July 19th and I just got an email tonight saying I drew an early archery mule deer tag for Nevada off the alternate list. Units 71-79, 91. Season opens August 10th and closes September 9th.

I have a Colorado archery mule deer tag for a 3-4 point unit and was planning on hunting 9/2-9/12 or thereabouts but I can't do both. Physical and gear prep isn't an issue because I've been preparing for a Colorado high country hunt. The Colorado seasons aren't great, and I've been a little bit worried about crowds surrounding a big wilderness area in the CO unit, especially with Labor day weekend.

My logic tells me I should turn in the Colorado Tag, and switch plans to hunt NV and e-scout my tail off until I leave. But, I've never set foot in any of the units in NV. I know the Jarbridge Wilderness is one option.

So what would you do? I can't hunt both, so my initial reaction is hunt Aug 15th - 27th in NV. Anyone have any advice about those units that they want to share privately?
 
OP
Brendan

Brendan

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
3,673
Location
Boston, MA
I want to say I had 5 points in NV. Was never really shooting for the real high point units anyways.

Eating the tag fee for CO to keep my points would leave me with 5 next year and I could always draw the same unit.
 

Fatcamp

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2017
Messages
3,880
Location
Sodak
I’d hunt NV and eat the tag fee for Colorado. The states are polar opposites for predicting when you’ll draw. As much as NV is a gambling state, take the money and run, you’ll have your CO points for next year.

Oh, ya.
 

Cant hit em

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,740
You have alot of time allotted , can you move your hunt to later in August , hunt Nv and when you kill something go to Colorado for the rest of the time ? That would be an epic trip.
 
OP
Brendan

Brendan

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
3,673
Location
Boston, MA
Unfortunately, I can't do both. It'd be epic, but I can only take the two weeks off because of work.

Looks like the decision is made for me, not that it was ever much of a decision, Colorado tags are going back. That's what I'd planned on doing when I checked the "Alternate" box on the Nevada app that I thought would never amount to anything!

If anyone has any advice whatsoever on these units they'd share privately - I'm all ears. Looks like I've got 3 weeks from Friday...
 
Last edited:
OP
Brendan

Brendan

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
3,673
Location
Boston, MA
Figured I'd update the thread. Colorado tags were returned, Nevada tags are here, I leave for Nevada a week from Friday, and have my initial locations all planned out.

Weather looks sunny, dry, sunny, dry, sunny, dry, sunny, dry... You get the picture.... Packing extra water jugs, fuel, and probably leaving the chains at home.

Probably won't get a chance to really sit back and really enjoy it until I get there, but almost game time.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
 
Top