Dilemma on pack for wife.

Hey guys, I have recently made the switch to the DT3 from the longbow. Needless to say i have fallen in love with the DT3.

I bought the small yoke and wast belt from MR to hopefully get her into the longbow. It is not really working well for her. I think that the frame is too stiff and the wast belt is killing her hips (rubbing.) I think that the Longbow may be more pack than she needs right now.

I am debating selling the longbow and getting her a new pack. She will mostly use it for a long day pack for hunting in Montana, and occasional overnighters (where I will carry most of the stuff anyway haha.) She is tough as nails and very strong, but I don't think that we need to worry about this pack being able to haul 100+ loads.

I need...
The ability to be a long day/overnight (maybe two nights)
Fairly light
Good fit for a female.
Have the ability to haul up to 75ish pounds infrequently after a kill.

I am debating between the Spike Camp and the Late season. I think I would have to use a pod with the SC. I have also debated just getting the T3 as well.

I would love yall's opinions.

looking for similar. but for 40-50 most of the time with occasional 75lb loads for up to 5 day trips probably.
ive looking at the stone glacier and ku5200. really would like to get her into a very light pack to help the overall weight.
shes curreently running a DD bridger but shes not real fond of the hip belt

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a Gregory Deva 60 for my wife that I would sell/trade. It fits the category you guys are looking for. When we backpack I wind up carrying everything anyway so she could make do with something smaller.

OP
S
Thanks for the offer, I really want to get her something from kifaru. She has an REI venus (or something like that) that we use for long trips in the summer and we have pack frame that fits her well too.

I am mostly looking to hear some opinions on the differences between the T3/SC/LS. I think that the SC has a little different suspension/belt than the others. I am leaning toward a T3 as I love my DT3 and I think it could handel anything she needed. I have a med pod and a few pockets for if we needed them for longer trips that I could use on any of them.

Joe

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Joe,

The T3 or Late Season would be my suggestion as the Spike Camp is pretty small. The T3 and Spike have the same size bag, but the T3 has the additional zipper and slot pockets.

If your wife is anything like mine, she will want pockets to accessories her "gear", so that pretty much leaves you with the T3:)

Feel free to call me if you wanna chat about the choices....

720-937-1418

Aron

OP
S
Thanks Aaron, That is kind of how I was leaning too. I ordered the waste belt for the longbow the first time without the pockets.... Big mistake, I quickly learned that without the pocket, it is apparently harder to reach the camera, and more importantly, the chapstick.

Just out of curiosity, when I ordered my DT3 I just gave them my specs and they sent me the bag and it fit well. I assume the belts come in different sizes (s/m/l etc) but does the yoke too? I just wondered in case I find a used one to get her.

Joe

cmeier117

WKR
Squeekie-

Yoke's are the same. Those packs have A LOT of adjustment. Don't be afraid to buy one used.

cmeier117

WKR
Belts come in different sizes but those you can get from Kifaru if need be. I am not going to dare asking what waist your wife has but mine is a 33 inch waist and was right in between a medium and small. I went with the small because I bottomed out the medium with heavy loads. Not sure if they offer a extra small?

OP
S
I have a 33 inch waste and i just about peg the medium on mine. The small on the MR is not anywhere near small enough for her. Her waste size is around 28, but girl's hips are wierd hahaha. The good news is that she is ALWAYS cold so normally has on about 6 layers to bulk up hahah. Small will probable work, but if they had an XS it may be better.

Joe

cmeier117

WKR
Joe,

My wife has about the same size waist as yours I think I will have her put on my DT1 with small waist belt and let you know if it fits her if you want? I haven't measured my wife's waist (don't want to get shot) but I know she wears 27 or 28 in jeans. PM later tonight if I forget or you don't hear from me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My wife has used my DT1 and T1 packs both of which are a small waistbelt to fit my 29-31" wasit depending on time of year. They fit her just as well as her KU5200 with the same small waistbelt. If it were me and you were shelling out the coin for a Kifaru for the wife I'd opt for the KU 5200 though. Super light, carries like a dream and if you have the same waistbelt size and not WAY taller get the 26" stays so you can adjust the harness system for you when you wanna go UL by yourself....not that I'd ever sneak out of the house with my wife's pack. :D

cmeier117

WKR
Squeekie, I am sure you have already had this answered but a small waist belt fit on my wife and so It should fit on yours just fine.

OP
S
thanks man, I think I have it figured out, I am hoping to find a used t3 or dt3 with a small belt before next season.

thanks for all the input guys

Joe