The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Starting to think CDEV may be a dud

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Any solid reasons for that thought process? Is it because it hasn’t been climbing or have you found some solid due diligence that points to the company not surviving? One needs to understand that the entire oil sector has been struggling. It isn’t just a handful of companies, rather across the board. Patience is key on these investments. Tech has been the hottest as of late but it is only a matter of time before investors move onto the next. Nothing wrong with locking in gains but if you bought back in early June I suggest holding and the market will rebound. I haven’t found much that concerns me with CDEV in the near future so holding long on this one. Good luck to you!

Broomd

WKR
Any solid reasons for that thought process? Is it because it hasn’t been climbing or have you found some solid due diligence that points to the company not surviving? One needs to understand that the entire oil sector has been struggling. It isn’t just a handful of companies, rather across the board. Patience is key on these investments. Tech has been the hottest as of late but it is only a matter of time before investors move onto the next. Nothing wrong with locking in gains but if you bought back in early June I suggest holding and the market will rebound. I haven’t found much that concerns me with CDEV in the near future so holding long on this one. Good luck to you!
Spot on.. The whole sector has been down for months and will continue to be.
REITS are also down, but have been slowly edging up week after week.

If patience were easy, we'd all be millionaires. This stuff takes steel hands and diligence.

Foldem

WKR

I think with CDEV you guys better just hope for a favorable merger price with a larger corp.

I really don't like to argue so please just tell me... What do you think is going to significantly bump oil prices in the next year? Do you think global and domestic fuel demand is going to shoot back up? Is OPEC+ going to cut production to help out the US producers? OPEC+ are hurting too, but this is a legitimate chance to choke out US producers that have benefited from OPEC propping prices up. While they restricted production the US producers drilled, drilled, drilled, and filled the demand gap.

I agree someday (not anytime soon) domestic production will come back but I think we've seen the good old days of US oil production come and go and I'm not holding my breath. I think there are way better industries to invest your money in.

Pro953

WKR
I was going to bring up CDEV the other day but held back. I was curious as well. The performance against the sector as a whole and valuation have been in decline for some time before the “pandemic”. The assets are decent and they do have good cash on hand but it seems they need more than just overall growth in the crude prices. Maybe the restructuring during this will help them come out a better company after but that is a pretty big gamble IMHO. I love being wrong in these cases so please do not tag me as a bear, but the downside it a bit too rich for my blood. Good luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M22

FNG
AAPL and Tesla initiate their stock splits this weekend, taking effect 8/31. It's a 4-1 split for AAPL and 5-1 for TSLA, so share value's about to be hacked down. Split should be finalized 8/31 EOD. AH volume will likely be pretty high thereafter for both, but assuming values hold through monday evening (which they may not), you should be able to pick up shares for around $130 (AAPL) or $450 (TSLA) next Tuesday at open (AAPL at $501, TSLA at $2275 currently). This split ain't no mystery, lots of folks will be swooping in for both, but its a solid opportunity to pick up pretty stable securities at a discount.

When it comes to the viability of AAPL / TSLA looking to the future, that's another discussion I'm unqualified to do much soothsaying for. However, I can say that I've had AAPL since 2011 and it's pretty steadfast and predictable. I picked up a few TSLA shares in fall 2018 so have certainly enjoyed the last 8 months, and I have no reason to think it'll start buckin up or down, but you never know with Elon - he may go on Rogan again and boof some K and really send all his shareholders on a ride.

Broomd

WKR
I think with CDEV you guys better just hope for a favorable merger price with a larger corp.

I really don't like to argue so please just tell me... What do you think is going to significantly bump oil prices in the next year? Do you think global and domestic fuel demand is going to shoot back up? Is OPEC+ going to cut production to help out the US producers? OPEC+ are hurting too, but this is a legitimate chance to choke out US producers that have benefited from OPEC propping prices up. While they restricted production the US producers drilled, drilled, drilled, and filled the demand gap.

I agree someday (not anytime soon) domestic production will come back but I think we've seen the good old days of US oil production come and go and I'm not holding my breath. I think there are way better industries to invest your money in.
Bump? Normalcy of course! A vaccine, oil use, typical work and vacation travel....all of these will completely jump start energy from the ridiculously undervalued price points.

And good questions and thoughts, but I'd urge you to think about something:
One year ago today CDEV was $4.60 a share. And that was in a rather bland oil market. All of the oil stocks were in similar positions at that time. When I purchased this stock my goal was long term, and it was simply to be back where this stock was pre-pandemic. With shares trading at .25, it was a no-brainer.

As traders we live in a time when returns are expected to be 2-300 times our investment, and we want those profits tomorrow, not next month or next year. Traders used to invest for 15-20% a year, and even that was considered excellent profit.
For people that got into this stock in March near it's low, looking back you were presented 9Xs profit on your investment on June 8th, one can't ask for any more than that for an insane swing trade. I didn't sell...I'm holding for $4, and if I'm patient I'll see that. The only issue is a complete economic meltdown with another covid issue or a Biden win. That could happen, but even then I don't see oil being completely wiped out unless it's re. fracking on federal land.
I'm diversified and I'm prepared to lose my entire investment in this company, I'd make it up elsewhere in time. But I've dreamed many times of finding a stock (any stock, frankly, I've never been a huge 'oil' guy) that I could buy for literally pennies to ultimately translate into $100,000. I think this stock has the bones to do that in time regardless of what happens with OPEC.

My plan: keep an eye out for sector indicators and specifically CDEV company P/Rs, but otherwise *set it and forget it.*

I go for the oil companies because I think this is the most profitable option. The most profitable I can afford, so of course, there are many others. Individual stocks are not an option for me because I think this is too risky, and also I've been thinking about investing in real estate. I don't have a lot of experience in trading because I've been doing this for a little bit over a year, but I find it very prosperous. I tried many different platforms until I found the one I really like, Investous, and I like it for various reasons. Any Investous traders here?

Last edited:
The Saudis stopped shipping crude to the US three weeks ago. Their price war with Russia has died down, so now they are trying to manipulate the market to bring prices back up.

CorbLand

WKR
Still holding CDEV at an average of 1.18. Hoping that it will run to 2 again sometime soon but willing to hold for awhile.

Been following FredADavis, think it was Coop that suggested him, on Stocktwits and have done pretty well on his suggestions for quick flips. I get in and set a limit at 15% above what I bought for. Only lost money on one so far.

401K is soaring.

IRA is doing ok, still down but they are all long term holds. Mostly oil and airlines.

Holding CDEV and averaging down. I’d feel worse if the entire sector wasn’t down but CDEV appears able to survive after weathering the last quarter decent considering the climate.

Loving my DOCU today

Was real close to buying ZM yesterday in advance of earnings but didn't.....typical luck for me

SHll and Wkhs has been really good for me this week, and everyone else. If Shll has a merger date announcement, watch this approach $100. That's my bet and have no idea if it will come true, just wishing.
ASPS has returned good things and I'm banking on foreclosures in the coming months, especially Commercial properties. I wish this wasn't reality, but...
I caught ALYI monday morning early.
REGI finally had its first big day of 15% gain. Looking for more.
Watching TRNE and GMHI like a hawk.
Do your diligence! Good luck to all

SHll and Wkhs has been really good for me this week, and everyone else. If Shll has a merger date announcement, watch this approach $100. That's my bet and have no idea if it will come true, just wishing.
ASPS has returned good things and I'm banking on foreclosures in the coming months, especially Commercial properties. I wish this wasn't reality, but...
I caught ALYI monday morning early.
REGI finally had its first big day of 15% gain. Looking for more.
Watching TRNE and GMHI like a hawk.
Do your diligence! Good luck to all
For SHLL, what are you using for the future P/E multiple?

dpat

FNG
I'm loving SHLL I got in at 19. I think it will run up into the 60-70 range closer to the merge but after yesterday it may get closer to 80.

For SHLL, what are you using for the future P/E multiple?
That is a good question.
Current (today) = $55.85 (-$0.02) = -1.117 = so not great
P/E ratio (realistic/BS) = FOMO!
Future = purely spec? But, I'm buying.

Lets just say that i really don't have an answer for SHLL operating margin, cost of goods, variable costs, ETC....this does scare me a bit. But, so much less than Nikola! Not to divert the answer, but anyone holding Nikola is just paying for trevor milton's house in UT. They don't even have the building permit for their location in AZ!!!! The Permit hearing hasn't even taken place!
Anyway, I have done diligence on many aspects of SHLL and the confidence builders for me is their capability to generate carbon neutral vehicles, partner with Ryder and Dana, and be able to retrofit all the major carrier chassis.
I don't have a real good P/E answer for you all on this one. I'm riding the wave based on what I mentioned above. Hopefully future financials prove to us all they have what it takes. And $100/share was kind of a giant wish, but after another 15% gain today, what would merger news or a sales announcement do?

Contrarily, The other thing I will say is that I think segments of the market are beyond oversold. It is detached from our economy. Old market rules may have nothing to do with newer companies, because of newer investors investing in them.
I am careful/concerned for the near future of the market. I sold my longs within the last week on highs. I am trading FOMO/Volatility until that breaks down, ready to bail when I start seeing the first big red candles.
Then again, this momentum could last another year with stimulus propping up all the bubbles????
I have mentioned before in this thread that i am scared of a giant pullback. But, I keep trading and will make money as long as possible and I'm prepared to short, put, and spread when I think its time.

Country Boy, Thanks getting me fired up before PM open!

EastMT

WKR
I was just reading an article about the VIX bests, the highest cost to buy in history for November. The concern is that Trump will win by a landslide, he will claim victory, the paper ballots come in and Biden claims victory, Trump says its fraud, Biden says its not creating a ton of uncertainty. This could be very bad for the markets no matter who you are voting for. Either way mass civil demonstrations are likely.

Julius K

FNG
What’s everyone’s thoughts on OXY? Hold it? What are you guys looking at when you make opinion?