The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Rental properties: does this never ending moratorium on evictions not worry you?
Yes-the eviction moratorium concerns me. I have 80 units across my portfolio and for the most part people have been great about paying. But I have 4 current evictions on the dockett where I basically can't do jack shit until it's lifted. The shitty part is if they'd apply to some of these programs they would get their rent paid, but the key is the tenant has to do it. I can beg them all I want, but most just flat don't care if it doesn't get paid, they're untouchable.

Technically all past rent is still due, and I plan on taking every single one of these people to collections when the dust settles. I'll likely never see a dime of it but if they ever get their life together I want them to remember me.

My A/B class rentals are doing significantly better than my C's. They don't realize it now but this is going to hurt a lot worse down the road. I've raised my credit scores and income requirements for vacant units, I can guarantee you I'm not the only landlord doing this. This will eventually cause an even bigger housing shortage with lower income people struggling to find a place to live.

I have a short term rental on Lake superior that I do a lot better on and may sell a few of my long term ones and pivot more of my portfolio into this. If they don't leave after their stay I can have them arrested for trespassing, not beg Uncle Sam to let me take possession of my own property.

Rental properties: does this never ending moratorium on evictions not worry you?
I'm scared sh**less for rentals. I'll probably never look into them again. I have a doom and gloom economic outlook for the globe.

So other than my 401k I only hold bitcoin as a serious investment.

Mosby

WKR
To an extent it does. I sold a rental unit in a college town that I've had with annual leases. Some college towns are starting to get over built with large condo buildings outside of campus, coupled with COVID; student rentals are drying up. I decided to change markets and type of rental. There is a large demand for beach rentals, which I like because they are short term rentals with payment in advance. I can make more money too with albeit a larger investment....at least on paper. Like anything else, you pay your money and take your chances.

bozeman

WKR
dont want to derail this: how many have beach rentals and what has been the % gain (if you dont mind sharing some details)?

What is an average ROI on a beach rental? I guess it could change from month to month or year to year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Extremely location specific. A beach in New Jersey likely isn't going to make the same as one in Florida (most of the time). You're looking at 12 months of bookings vs 4-5.

When I analyze short term rentals I use what's called the enemy method by Carl Avery. Just pop that in google and it'll come up. I'm quite active on Biggerpockets which is basically Rokslide for real estate investors.

I know you asked about beach rentals which I don't have (yet), but I do have a large 4400 square foot cabin on Lake Superior about 4 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul that sleeps 18. My first full year since I've been in business my ROI will be 50% based on just cash on cash ROI, that's not counting equity created or debt paydown. Mind you I got lucky as I got it under contract right before everything blew up and people were travel starved, but I aleady have a few weeks next summer booked out at 600+/night and I currently have one free weekend until November. I bought this with a 10% down second home loan.

This next little bit is where real estate really gets me wild. I paid 325k for this place, put about 40k of renovations and furnishings into it. I got it re-appraised and it was 495k. I now have a 150k LOC that I can use to purchase more real estate (and have). I only use the LOC for short term cash like flips etc. That's an equity buffer if things hit the fan.

I'm finishing a large 6 figure reno flip currently, but when that's done I'll be looking to buy my next STR and I've narrowed it down to the Smokey's, Florida panhandle, and Maui. If you're looking at it purely from an investment standpoint it needs to be where people want to go.

I still have boring old index funds and play with crypto, but there's plenty of ways to get wealthy other than the stock market. And unlike my long term rentals, I don't need to let some deadbeat live in it for 4 months because they're too lazy to get a job.

Beendare

WKR
. The shitty part is if they'd apply to some of these programs they would get their rent paid, but the key is the tenant has to do it. I can beg them all I want, but most just flat don't care if it doesn't get paid, they're untouchable.
Same boat here.
We did the paperwork for the tenants and they submitted it. It was a big incentive telling them they were getting evicted if they didnt pay.

So thanks to all of you Taxpayers out there for voting in these Democrats that are reimbursing me With your money.

My son just crushed it on AMD options….I need to start listening to him.

Anybody like EOG here 11% off its highs?

Extremely location specific. A beach in New Jersey likely isn't going to make the same as one in Florida (most of the time). You're looking at 12 months of bookings vs 4-5.

When I analyze short term rentals I use what's called the enemy method by Carl Avery. Just pop that in google and it'll come up. I'm quite active on Biggerpockets which is basically Rokslide for real estate investors.

I know you asked about beach rentals which I don't have (yet), but I do have a large 4400 square foot cabin on Lake Superior about 4 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul that sleeps 18. My first full year since I've been in business my ROI will be 50% based on just cash on cash ROI, that's not counting equity created or debt paydown. Mind you I got lucky as I got it under contract right before everything blew up and people were travel starved, but I aleady have a few weeks next summer booked out at 600+/night and I currently have one free weekend until November. I bought this with a 10% down second home loan.

This next little bit is where real estate really gets me wild. I paid 325k for this place, put about 40k of renovations and furnishings into it. I got it re-appraised and it was 495k. I now have a 150k LOC that I can use to purchase more real estate (and have). I only use the LOC for short term cash like flips etc. That's an equity buffer if things hit the fan.

I'm finishing a large 6 figure reno flip currently, but when that's done I'll be looking to buy my next STR and I've narrowed it down to the Smokey's, Florida panhandle, and Maui. If you're looking at it purely from an investment standpoint it needs to be where people want to go.

I still have boring old index funds and play with crypto, but there's plenty of ways to get wealthy other than the stock market. And unlike my long term rentals, I don't need to let some deadbeat live in it for 4 months because they're too lazy to get a job.

Thanks for the response, I was on biggerpockets for a while, read a lot of books on real estate investing. I was about to buy my first property right as covid hit and I got cold feet. I still feel like it’s a strong investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
I had owned several single family homes I used for rentals before I moved. I personally think if you keep them to 1-2 bedrooms, most people that want a 1-2 bed are younger people in life who are saving for a house and generally aren't going to skip out on rent.

Okhotnik

WKR
Yes-the eviction moratorium concerns me. I have 80 units across my portfolio and for the most part people have been great about paying. But I have 4 current evictions on the dockett where I basically can't do jack shit until it's lifted. The shitty part is if they'd apply to some of these programs they would get their rent paid, but the key is the tenant has to do it. I can beg them all I want, but most just flat don't care if it doesn't get paid, they're untouchable.

Technically all past rent is still due, and I plan on taking every single one of these people to collections when the dust settles. I'll likely never see a dime of it but if they ever get their life together I want them to remember me.

My A/B class rentals are doing significantly better than my C's. They don't realize it now but this is going to hurt a lot worse down the road. I've raised my credit scores and income requirements for vacant units, I can guarantee you I'm not the only landlord doing this. This will eventually cause an even bigger housing shortage with lower income people struggling to find a place to live.

I have a short term rental on Lake superior that I do a lot better on and may sell a few of my long term ones and pivot more of my portfolio into this. If they don't leave after their stay I can have them arrested for trespassing, not beg Uncle Sam to let me take possession of my own property.
good for you. best of luck

Okhotnik

WKR
Got more LPI @ $42. Have a few more dirt cheap buy bids set on others, just in case the tank continues.
think was a smart move. Im in WLL, TGA, SU, CVE, CDEV and LPI again last week. We'll see. Im sitting about 17 per cent low on other my O&G stocks. Remember Sept through Nov last year and added then. It's all a crap shoot

22lr

WKR
Been getting busy so dropping off on my daily monitoring. But I bought into LLKKF awhile back at $.32. Lost a good portion of its value but has made a huge run this last week. Up to $.50 now!

Will see what happens Monday, I may close out with my gains this far.