Dipping a toe in the crossbow world

i relocated from NY to PA (still hunting NY), so now have a much longer opportunity for crossbow hunting. I shot a couple of crossbows lately, a high end raven and a mid level Barnett. I was sold enough to play with the idea for next season but not waning or repeat my 2015 intro to compound bows mistake - I dropped ~$2k on an improperly tuned Hoyt carbon spyder turbo, expensive accessories and some shitty underspined arrows (broke up with that bowshop)- so I wanted a cheap way to test the water.

I just ordered a centerpoint 415 And some bolts (black eagle executioner) and some broad heads (rage and qad) for under $500 all in. The centerpoint gets high marks for value and reviews fairly well for speed and accuracy.

I plan to play with this setup and maybe hunt it next year. If I go all in on crossbows, then I will spring for a more expensive bow And I will have a decent backup bow.

So what else should I know? Any other Must have gear to buy? Any tips for a nube are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I’m afraid to touch the things myself....Ive never shot one, I don’t wanna lose a finger.grin.

My buddies that follow all this stuff on crossbows all own the Ravin...a couple tried to save some dough and bought Centerpoints....then ended up buying the Ravin.

OP
Desk Jockey
Yeah. I can see an upgrade in my future if I like this and stay in PA. I can hunt it basically all archery season. In NY you can only use crossbows during muzzle loader Season so it is a short window.

Drenalin

WKR
I made the switch to a crossbow this year due to an old shoulder injury. They have their pros and cons. My biggest complaint is the weight and bulk - they're just awkward to carry around. I put a sling on it, but it's still far from ideal. Maybe something I just have to get used to after carrying a bow for a long time, or maybe there's a legitimately good solution out there that I haven't found. After shooting it for several months, I ended up being comfortable at about the same range with a crossbow that I was with a compound, so no advantage there for me. If you haven't already looked into targets, make sure you're getting one specifically for crossbows - bolts were hell to get out of some of the old bow targets I had. I got a blemished Rhinehart 18-1 off ebay for right at 100 bucks and it's worked well.

I ended up with a Mission Sub-1 Lite, for whatever that's worth.

OP
Desk Jockey
I made the switch to a crossbow this year due to an old shoulder injury. They have their pros and cons. My biggest complaint is the weight and bulk - they're just awkward to carry around. I put a sling on it, but it's still far from ideal. Maybe something I just have to get used to after carrying a bow for a long time, or maybe there's a legitimately good solution out there that I haven't found. After shooting it for several months, I ended up being comfortable at about the same range with a crossbow that I was with a compound, so no advantage there for me. If you haven't already looked into targets, make sure you're getting one specifically for crossbows - bolts were hell to get out of some of the old bow targets I had. I got a blemished Rhinehart 18-1 off ebay for right at 100 bucks and it's worked well.

I ended up with a Mission Sub-1 Lite, for whatever that's worth.
Thanks. I shoot a Rhine hart block now so I should be good. my buddies practice their crossbows over 100 yards and I think one hit an antelope at 80 yards this year. I don’t expect I will be extended my 50 yard cap i impose on my compound bow hunting, but I guess I have to wait and see. Bow should be here this week so I can start playing with it.

dkime

WKR
From my experience with crossbows; there are those that have been broke and those that are going to. With the exception being Excalibur. Get a variety of point weights, if youre not able to cut down your own shafts your only real tuning method is manipulating dynamic spine by point weight. I've hunted enough with crossbows to learn a few hard lessons and thats about it.

Diesel

WKR
I bought a crossbow because of shoulder injuries and hate it. So much so that I am researching getting back to a compound. The act of shooting a compound, recurve or longbow has a zen like quality to me, A crossbow has none of that.

Crossbows are killers for sure. They should be more associated with firearm season in my opinion.

Desk Jockey, I don't think you will like it like as much, but if it is necessary because of injury or you just want to kill, best wishes.

OP
Desk Jockey
The act of shooting a compound, recurve or longbow has a zen like quality to me...I don't think you will like it like as much, but if it is necessary because of injury or you just want to kill, best wishes.
fair points. I do enjoy shooting my bow just for the shooting sake of it.

part of the reason I bought something cheap is in case I decide I just don’t like it, then I won’t have dropped $2k on a flagship crossbow. If I like it then the $300 center point can be my loaner / backup crossbow and at least I will know what I am getting into when I drop the big $$ on an expensive bow.

I bought a crossbow because of shoulder injuries and hate it. So much so that I am researching getting back to a compound. The act of shooting a compound, recurve or longbow has a zen like quality to me, A crossbow has none of that.

Crossbows are killers for sure. They should be more associated with firearm season in my opinion.

Desk Jockey, I don't think you will like it like as much, but if it is necessary because of injury or you just want to kill, best wishes.
i think many who can hunt archery season with an x-bow do because they want to hunt the liberal archery season, but don't want the hassle of having to shoot a lot to stay sharp, or try to draw your bow with a critter in bow range. if someone wants success during archery season but doesn't want to dedicate the time and effort to shoot a bow as much as needed, x-bows are attractive... that's why they are popular.

i think this is also the reason many despise them during archery season, having to practice a lot to "earn" your accuracy with a bow, feel like x-bows aren't fair during archery season, feeling people should have to work for their success during bow season.

not everyone wants to dedicate time in the off season, but EVERYONE wants a big buck, haha

Dan74

FNG
I personally use both. I normally use crossbow when it is really cold out. I have had some surgeries and when it gets down around 10 degree I struggle with my compound so I purchased a crossbow.

That being said I will pass a big trophy up if I have crossbow. I want to harvest it with my compound.

I see why people use a crossbow and would never shame someone for using one.

I believe you will like it and hunt with it just because it is quick and easy once set up it's grab and go.

WKR
I have an excalibur. Its simple and effective. Off of a rest, they are easy and accurate. Off hand, I'd rather have a compound in my hand. They're unpleasant to carry very far/long.

The main advantage is not having to move to draw the bow.

The main disadvantage is having to carry them around. Not a big problem on a blind or stand, but very cumbersome on a backcountry backpack hunt.

*zap*

WKR
I use an Excal exomax, rigged a sling for it that allows me to carry it with the limbs straight up/down and with one hand. That made a huge difference for me. I have issues in my neck that get really aggravated from shooting a compound regularly so I plan to sell my compound stuff here pretty soon.......and stick with my exomax. I do not really give a shit what anyone thinks about me using a xbow as long as it is legal.

OP
Desk Jockey
Bow arrived last night. I mounted the riser And put the quiver and scope on it. Feels like a $300 crossbow. Only thing that really needs replacing is the stock. It is a standard mil spec AR carbine stock and has a ton of play to it. I can add one of my current stocks as a loaner until i decide a long term solution. May do an upgrade on the scope. It is a cheap little thing and the mount is a bit wonky. Found a place that sells ”takeoffs” from higher end bows for less than half price. Going to shoot it once I get some decent weather.

LostArra

WKR
I have an excalibur. Its simple and effective. Off of a rest, they are easy and accurate. Off hand, I'd rather have a compound in my hand. They're unpleasant to carry very far/long.

The main advantage is not having to move to draw the bow.

The main disadvantage is having to carry them around. Not a big problem on a blind or stand, but very cumbersome on a backcountry backpack hunt.

My elk hunting buddy uses an Excalibur and his experience is exactly the same as yours. He hates carrying it around elk country but it's pretty deadly.

WKR
I've read about compound crossbows being a bit high maintenance, which is why I went with excalibur. It's not nearly as fast, and is wider/more awkward, but it's much simpler and more reliable. Getting the compound xbows tuned is a bit of a challenge from what little I know. I shoot the Black Eagle Executioners and the Sevr Robusto broadhead. I think it's a good combo for what it's worth.

And, despite the snarky "crossgun" comments, it's really close to compound archery. The arrow is just a bit shorter, still subject to all of the problems and limitations of trying to kill something with arrows and broadheads. My xbow isn't even faster than my compound, nor do I have greater range (less actually).

I think there's a bigger difference in difficulty/challenge between a stick bow and a compound than between a compound and a xbow.

*zap*

WKR
There is an older guy, compound shooter at that time, I would see @ the public range and the gun club when I did 3d shoots. He was adamant about crossbows are guns..told me that I was shooting a gun at the archery range and I should be fined.

Thats was years ago and then who shows up @ the public range this year with a small very maodern optic equipped crossbow???? Yup, him. His shoulder forced him to do it and all he had to say was wrong.....after he needed to use a xbow. Up till then xbows sucked and xbow users were cheaters.

OP
Desk Jockey
I do not really give a shit what anyone thinks about me using a xbow as long as it is legal.
Preach.

I never understand why some folks have to shit on legal methods of take. I get it. Do your thing. Some people want to make a self bow and fling arrows at animals wearing buckskin. That is cool. I am going to do my thing over here and the woods are big enough for both of us.

Diesel

WKR
Since I have used both, I can see why crossbows are popular. I can see why draw bows are popular too. It has all been said above on pros and cons. Each has his own reasons why they hunt and that's fine with me. For me, just shooting a draw bow gives me return, getting to hunt with one makes sitting in a stand or sneaking through the woods even more of a return. YMMV.