dirty water filter options

After years of bullshit, why won't any company come out with a bullet proof water filter? I'm on my third katadyn vario. two other buddies had two varios and hiker pros, and one MSR sweet water. The only one that is worth a crap out of all of them is the Katadyn Pocket but it is super slow. I don't really care what it would cost or how heavy it was if there was a filter that would pump dirty water quickly and reliably. Not everyone has a nice stream or mountain lake to get water out of. All we have is tiny springs on the side of the mountain that bears regularly wallow in, silt, algae, and wiggly shit. I watched a brand new hiker pro clog and explode after pumping about five liters of this water. The Varios clog and squirt water out the top all over the place, and the longer life mode works for about three pumps before the stone clogs. I always pack the water pump during day hunts and filter water as I go, so gravity feed is not an option. I'd like to be able to fill 20 liters at a time for base camp. Is there a pump out there that is worthy?

Man pumping 20 liters would suck. If you could make use of a gravity system and then disperse the water into whatever containers your using would be nice. I don’t have a lot of experience with real dirty water though. Sounds like you need to add some pre filters into your process to make it easier on your pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest a Steripen Classic 3 and their prefilter.

I had issues with my MSR Sweetwater. New filter would clog and I broke the dang handle on it.

The Steripen is actually really efficient on batteries. I don't even pack spares anymore, even on two week long trips. I just invert a battery after each use so it won't turn on in my pack. The prefilter does a great job of keeping the floaties out.

If the water is really shallow I pack half of a Sparkling Ice bottle to pour water into my Nalgene bottle/prefilter.

If you're doing large batches I prefilter my water then put it into a bladder then I'll just use Aquatabs.

Ill most likely never own another pump again.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
E
really looking for a pump option. I've looked at the guardian briefly but saw reports of the piston breaking and the fact that it is plastic leaves me suspect. I like the idea of it being self cleaning though.

rayporter

WKR
some things that have helped me wrestle that dragon

get a container to let the water settle
get a pre filter = better to have a couple cause they clog too.

the base camp gravity has worked wonders -but i dont think we tested it under super tough conditions. the bad thing about it is that you cannot add a pre filter.

Cdpp880

WKR
I take a fat water bottle/gatoraid bottle and cut the bottom off it, put a couple of coffee filters in the bottle then scoop up the water to fill a bladder then use a sawyer squeeze from the bladder. Has worked pretty well for me. I have not filtered any really bad water but some that was definitely not a clear mountain stream.

oldgoat

WKR
Do you prefilter the water at the intake? I've never really had to use real dirty water, but I put a coffee filter over the intake, they are fairly light to pack and keep a lot of sediment out. Another thing I've done is carry a packable cloth water pail and fill it and let the water settle before pumping.

Poser

WKR
I agree with letting the water settle first. In some cases, it’s necessary to let it settle overnight.

I sure love my clear mountain water.