Disabled Veteran friendly non resident state.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Hello to all. Just finished an archery elk hunt in 5A AZ. Will post a pic. Just wondering what is or are the most friendliest western states for a disabled veteran to hunt? I know AZ has a 100% program available, however I am just shy of 100%.
Hes a trophy elk for me!

Attachments

• 20200919_192053.jpg
    20200919_192053.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 20200920_072635.jpg
    20200920_072635.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 128

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I believe Idaho charges resident prices for nonresident tags.

I doubt you'll get the usual blowback for being a nonresident as a disabled veteran. Thank you for your service brother!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would say Idaho, but it seems that enough residents have bitched enough that they are talking of limiting NR DAV tags. Eventually the light bulb will come on that the increase in hunting pressure is from twice as many residents as ten years ago. Until then, NR are the scapegoat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
I would say Idaho, but it seems that enough residents have bitched enough that they are talking of limiting NR DAV tags. Eventually the light bulb will come on that the increase in hunting pressure is from twice as many residents as ten years ago. Until then, NR are the scapegoat.

The last I read about this, the issue was that the DAV NR tags weren't being counted against the overall herd take every year. That's a problem. The animals have to be counted against something in order to preserve herd integrity.

I don't know if 'residents are now twice as many" as ten years ago, but with people moving here en mass something has to give.
Didn't you just move here from Utah?

Personally I think that DAV NR tags should be prioritized in the NR pool.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The last I read about this, the issue was that the DAV NR tags weren't being counted against the overall herd take every year. That's a problem. The animals have to be counted against something in order to preserve herd integrity.

I don't know if 'residents are now twice as many" as ten years ago, but with people moving here en mass something has to give.
Didn't you just move here from Utah?

Personally I think that DAV NR tags should be prioritized in the NR pool.
They were in addition to the NR tags, but the number was never that large. I have worked in Idaho for over 5 years, moved a couple years back. I'm a realist. When I look around at the hunting pressure around me, it's all 1A and 2C plates, with a smattering of NR. The increased hunting pressure is from residents. Stickbow Chronicles podcast with Toby Boudreau from IDFG was an interesting listen. Lots of residents consider anyone from a different part of Idaho as nonresident pressure, same as out of state NR. Starting in 2021 NR will have to choose a zone for deer, and elk zones will be capped at 15% NR participation. They aren't changing the total number of NR tags, just raising prices because they think that a number of hunters who don't get a tag for the unit they've historically hunted, won't buy tags. They start talking about the numbers at about the 1:15 mark in the podcast. It's worth a listen.

wytx

WKR
Wyoming allows hunters to donate tags to a disabled vet, also Hunting with Heroes is a great org up here. They have hunts every year mainly on private land.

Brettski

FNG
What percent disability do you need to qualify for Idaho NR DAV tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
What percent disability do you need to qualify for Idaho NR DAV tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
40%
d81095864baf9c90a6c1fdf657f85690.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
tradman

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info as well. Looks like I'll be applying for a Idaho hunt.

Oregon

WKR
I’m not 100% sure, but i think Idaho is the only state that hooks up disabled vets that are NR.

I thank the fine folks of Idaho tremendously.