disadvantages of shirnk wrap fletching?

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I've fletched my own arrows and been pretty successful. Every 9 or 10 I may screw one up and have to start over but never had problems. I saw a buddy use the new shrink wrap fletching for blazers and was pretty surprised at the results. I thought they would be messy and uneven but pretty much looked perfect. Is there any disadvantage to using this system? I'm sure if a person had custom fletching or their own personal preference they would stick to it or if a person wants 3 degree helical they would not be available. After seeing the results I'm kind of surprised it is not more popular. I'm thinking of trying them out, any feedback?

Erock1313

FNG
I have used these on one of my bows for the last few years and think they are great! I use the QuickSpin versions and my groupings and arrow stabilization is good - Almost too good, as I seem to "clip" a vane or two on 3 shot groups more often than not. :)

This brings the draw backs....

If you mess up one Vane either by "Clipping it" or by a tree/target etc, you can't just replace that one Vane, they all have to come off. This is where - In my opinion - it becomes less cost effectice and thusly, less popular. At $20-25 for 6 sets of Fletchings, this can add up quick - Plus, they are a little harder to find replacements for when u are not near a "Big Box" store if you are on a trip and need replacements.

The other part of the replacement downside , is ease of use. All though they are very easy to install, you have to have Hot/Boiling water to get them to shrink and adhere to your arrow. This obviously isn't much of a big deal back at a base camp, but in the field; can be somewhat more of a pained process and time consuming.

Despite the down falls, I do like them though and find them pretty durable if you are less effective of a shot groupings than me ;)

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using them with no reportable issues for about 3 years. I get the twisters off Amazon for $13 a half dozen. As for in the field repairs I always have water and a pot so I just pack an extra wrap. I think packing glue and a jig would be a much bigger pain.

just curious... how many of you guys actually pack the stuff to refletch arrows in the field? I cannot think of a time when I needed more arrows than I could carry. Throw a couple in the truck and the 5 on your quiver... if you mess up 7 arrows you have bigger problems to worry about than fletching.

Joe

jmez

WKR
I never replace just one vane with my Bitzenberger. If you index nocks you can't ever get the vane back in the same place as where it came off.

I never replace just one vane with my Bitzenberger. If you index nocks you can't ever get the vane back in the same place as where it came off.

agreed.... or else its about a 1 in 50 shot of getting it right. I have heard that the tower jig from bohning is really really good for the money. Easy to use, way cheaper than shrink wrap, your friends wont make fun of you for using it, and it does a great job of doing one at a time because you fletch them with the nock off any way.

Joe

Backstrap

FNG
Refletching in the field with a jig and glue? You're either way more into it than I am or I missed something along the way. While I haven't used them, a shrink wrap fletching and boiling water seems much easier to come up with in the field if they're needed that badly.

IAHNTR

WKR
I like being able to put more helical on my fletching than the shrink wraps provide. And, being able to customize.

KHNC

WKR
Ive had several that rip in half and pull off if you pass thru the target. 4 to be exact out of 12 this year. Pretty high failure rate for the cost I think. They are great if you never have a pass thru or only use them to hunt with.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I've had several target pass throughs and just had a pass through on a mule deer. I'll keep using them.