Disappointed in Nosler

In another thread I mentioned that I bought a new Nosler Liberty that had to go back to the factory. There were 3 issues. The bolt was extraordinarily hard to close on Nosler factory 105 grain ammo. The best 3 shot group I could muster at 100 yards was about 5 inches. The bullets showed pronounced keyholing.

Nosler factory 105 ammo is all I shot. Here are targets that reflect the keyholing and accuracy.

I understand that it happens from time to time that a bad one gets out of the factory. I should know, since the last 3 $1000+ rifles I have bought have had to go back. When I contacted Nosler, I was able to get through to CS quickly with a phone call. I was issued a return authorization. In the e-mail from Daniel Michels that accompanied the RA, it was noted that I would be called when the rifle arrived. "Once the rifle is received, we will either call or email you to verify."

I immediately shipped the gun back.

Tracking showed that it arrived on Sep 2.

As of September 18, I had not heard anything from Nosler. I emailed and got this response back from Daniel: "My apologies that you were not informed. I confirmed with our gunsmith and yes, he has received your rifle. He unfortunately has not yet had an opportunity to evaluate the barrel twist, but is hoping to have an update ready next week. At that point, we should have a better idea on turnaround time as we will know the exact issue."

On September 29, I emailed Daniel asking for an update.

As of today, Oct 5, I had not received a response to the September 29 email question, so I emailed again and have not yet heard back.

If I had been told from the onset that repairs would take 6-8 weeks, I wouldn't be happy with that turnaround time, but I wouldn't have expected to hear anything back either. Remington advised me right up front that repairs would take up to 12 weeks and that's how long it took to get my 5R HS Precision 223 back. My Christensen Arms Mesa was back to me in less than 3 weeks from the date I shipped it.

Am I justified in my disappointment and frustration, or are we just at a point with crappy US manufacturing and customer service that we should expect this even on a higher end product?

wildcat33

WKR
I feel like we are in an unusual time in history that warrants some leniency, especially with smaller companies (I don't think Nosler is that big after driving by their factory and stopping in to the shop). That said, sounds like they could do better and the problem sounds like a headspace issue that should have been caught the first time around. I would try to extend my patience with them, maybe follow up with another polite call?

I can understand how a bad product can sneak out the door. To me though, CS is everything. How a problem is dealt with is more important to me then the problem (usually).

A company that goes above and beyond to keep me informed and make something right will win my money every time.

CPD

FNG
When I was in the market for a new rifle a couple of years ago, I wasn’t impressed by the slow and unenthusiastic responses I received to questions I had. I ended up going with a competitor’s rifle and have been happy with my choice. Since then a buddy bought a Nosler rifle. There were delays and lack of communication in receiving his rifle. Then he had to send it back to them for a problem with the stock, which took several weeks longer than they said it would, and also was slow to communicate with him throughout the process. He did finally get it back in working order, and it is a very accurate shooter. He just took a moose in Idaho with it. I’ve always used Nosler reloading components and have had good luck with them, but the customer service for their rifle department seems to be a little lacking.

hodgeman

WKR
We definitely are living in unprecedented times and your CS experience is vastly different than mine. I have had two issues with my Nosler and both were resolved in a matter of days, including shipping to and from AK.

They replaced the safety on my M48 in 2011 with a turn time of 8 days prior to my sheep hunt and refinished the stock in 2014 to the new C2 coating in just under two weeks.

I would like to think your experience is abnormal and certainly not a trend.

OP
Fartrell Cluggins
We definitely are living in unprecedented times and your CS experience is vastly different than mine. I have had two issues with my Nosler and both were resolved in a matter of days, including shipping to and from AK.

They replaced the safety on my M48 in 2011 with a turn time of 8 days prior to my sheep hunt and refinished the stock in 2014 to the new C2 coating in just under two weeks.

I would like to think your experience is abnormal and certainly not a trend.

I really like the rifle. I don't think I have ever had a rifle that felt more like an extension of me. I hope they get it sorted out.

Dhbwa

WKR
I can understand how a bad product can sneak out the door. To me though, CS is everything. How a problem is dealt with is more important to me then the problem (usually).

A company that goes above and beyond to keep me informed and make something right will win my money every time.

Big plus one.....

sndmn11

WKR
I would never deal with that company again or that person within the company. There is absolutely zero reason that a commitment of effort could not and should not be followed through on outside of the effort being absent. I don't want to do business with an entity or person who is too lazy to keep their word on the effort they will put into the situation. Of someone drops the ball on "we will notify you when it arrives" they suck. It takes one minute to make a phone call or email, and is an inexcusable way to fail at step one of the negative customer service contact.

OP
Fartrell Cluggins
Monday Daniel told me he emailed the gunsmith for an update. I guess the gunsmith is really busy.

OP
Fartrell Cluggins
I just got an email that said this: "Our gunsmith emailed me that your rifle is currently getting re-barreled."

Poor customer service for sure. Even during COVID communication still needs to be maintained.
What cartridge is the rifle?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Anyone can produce a lemon, Noslers just does it more often than most. Not a fan!