Disappointed in Nosler

OP
Fartrell Cluggins
It was October 8 that Nosler told me the gunsmith was going to install a new barrel. I haven't heard anything from them since.

Unfortunately, Nosler anything is an easy pass. I’ve had a few of their rifles due to impressive discounts at SW. None were great, Apparently I’m a slow learner. :)

Lots of good rifles out there. Save yourself the headache. If going over the counter, get a Tikka. Owned many, shot many a barrel out, and they were marvelous. I love simple Tikka triggers. Just about all of my hunting buddies use Tikkas on hunts. There are more important things to worry about on a hunt than a rifle, the Tikka’s are the easy button (along with SWFA, NF, or Bushy aiming). The stocks may be ugly, but they work and don’t need to be replaced. Drop it in a KRG or McMillan if you crave different ergos, weight, or feel. If Tikka isn’t your thing, GAP, LRI, Beanland, Shaen, and others put together some impressive rifles with no compromises. I’d rather have 1 great rifle than have 5 mediocre rifles.

Long way of saying trip the Nosler and invest in something better. Hopefully they get it straight for you.

Last edited:
In another thread I mentioned that I bought a new Nosler Liberty that had to go back to the factory. There were 3 issues. The bolt was extraordinarily hard to close on Nosler factory 105 grain ammo. The best 3 shot group I could muster at 100 yards was about 5 inches. The bullets showed pronounced keyholing.

Nosler factory 105 ammo is all I shot. Here are targets that reflect the keyholing and accuracy.

I understand that it happens from time to time that a bad one gets out of the factory. I should know, since the last 3 $1000+ rifles I have bought have had to go back. When I contacted Nosler, I was able to get through to CS quickly with a phone call. I was issued a return authorization. In the e-mail from Daniel Michels that accompanied the RA, it was noted that I would be called when the rifle arrived. "Once the rifle is received, we will either call or email you to verify."

I immediately shipped the gun back.

Tracking showed that it arrived on Sep 2.

As of September 18, I had not heard anything from Nosler. I emailed and got this response back from Daniel: "My apologies that you were not informed. I confirmed with our gunsmith and yes, he has received your rifle. He unfortunately has not yet had an opportunity to evaluate the barrel twist, but is hoping to have an update ready next week. At that point, we should have a better idea on turnaround time as we will know the exact issue."

On September 29, I emailed Daniel asking for an update.

As of today, Oct 5, I had not received a response to the September 29 email question, so I emailed again and have not yet heard back.

If I had been told from the onset that repairs would take 6-8 weeks, I wouldn't be happy with that turnaround time, but I wouldn't have expected to hear anything back either. Remington advised me right up front that repairs would take up to 12 weeks and that's how long it took to get my 5R HS Precision 223 back. My Christensen Arms Mesa was back to me in less than 3 weeks from the date I shipped it.

Am I justified in my disappointment and frustration, or are we just at a point with crappy US manufacturing and customer service that we should expect this even on a higher end product?
Terrible customer service continues with nosler! Myself as well as several others on this forum are having commutation issues with them. Most of there PRC rifles have feeding issues and are having to be sent back. They should have never left the factory in the first place because they obviously were not tested.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Historically, Nosler rifles had issues. It’s been a thing since they started building them. They are good rifles, but they build them as if components are plug n play…and they aren’t.

Historically, Nosler rifles had issues. It’s been a thing since they started building them. They are good rifles, but they build them as if components are plug n play…and they aren’t.
Exactly the problem here! What makes me mad is that if they had checked to make sure the rifle worked it would have never left the factory. Second is that there communication and customer service sucks.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
It’s surprising, but many gunsmiths don’t load a magazine full of ammo and cycle it all…. I received a very expensive target rifle and none of the magazines would feed. It included a fired case and proof target. The rifle was beautiful and well made…

I called the smith and he said that he had just hand loaded each round into the chamber and never took the mags out of the box, assuming they worked.

It’s not surprising at this point.

fwafwow

WKR
The issue I’m having with Nosler? No and my gun will have been there a month in just a few days. They have other rifles there also. Very poor communication, no “I’m sorry” or a timeline or even an offer for a refund or to swap for a different caliber
Thanks. I was asking about the OP, as his problem arose more than a year ago, but helpful to know.

OP
Fartrell Cluggins
The issue I’m having with Nosler? No and my gun will have been there a month in just a few days. They have other rifles there also. Very poor communication, no “I’m sorry” or a timeline or even an offer for a refund or to swap for a different caliber
To their credit, they shouldn't offer a timeline, because they truly have no idea how long it will take fix their screw-up.