Disappointed in OnX

I got a subscription to OnX for my hunt this month. I did the trial and I liked how it looked compared to my GPS when zoomed out more and looking over an area. I installed it on both my Android phones which I took with me. When leaving I figured I didnt need my GPS but decided to take it anyway and I am glad I did.

Navigating the roads and looking at areas when I got there I had no issues. I didnt realize what I was missing. Then I went for some hikes where I was trying to go to a point and I noticed that I had no indication as to which way I was traveling. I pulled up the app on my phones a countless number of times and I noticed that on 2 of those times I had the fan/flashlight thing on my location dot showing my facing direction, both times on my Motorola but never on my Samsung. Both times once the screen timed out and I opened it back up it was gone. This made it really hard to navigate. Thank goodness I had my GPS with me.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well that explains a lot. :LOL:
only took me like three trips to figure that out!

(thanks @np307 )

I don't wanna just pitch for a sponsor, but I'm a slow learner and it took me about a season, but now it does just about everything I need it to do. I haven't take a GPS since about 2018 and I aint going back!

Good luck man.

P.S. it's the break between seasons where you forget everything so expect that next year.

OP
MuleyFever
only took me like three trips to figure that out!

(thanks @np307 )

I don't wanna just pitch for a sponsor, but I'm a slow learner and it took me about a season, but now it does just about everything I need it to do. I haven't take a GPS since about 2018 and I aint going back!

Good luck man.

P.S. it's the break between seasons where you forget everything so expect that next year.
Well now I dont feel as stupid. Still disappointed. Why wouldnt that just always be on?

cnelk

WKR
My son’s OnX show the direction indicator exact opposite of the direction of travel.

So yes. Disappointed

Grundy53

WKR
Mine will just randomly quit showing the landowner layer. Super handy when hunting out of state in an unfamiliar area...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mine will just randomly quit showing the landowner layer. Super handy when hunting out of state in an unfamiliar area...

when mine does that, it's the zoom. If it's disappearing, I need to zoom slightly in. I can assume that is so you have the option to have a less cluttered screen.

@cnelk they need to fix that. I've had onX on Iphone 6/11/ and now 14 and haven't seen that. Well, i have, but it means i need to take a few steps then it coordinates to correct direction

Grundy53

WKR
when mine does that, it's the zoom. If it's disappearing, I need to zoom slightly in. I can assume that is so you have the option to have a less cluttered screen.

@cnelk they need to fix that. I've had onX on Iphone 6/11/ and now 14 and haven't seen that. Well, i have, but it means i need to take a few steps then it coordinates to correct direction
Yeah, I tried that. Didn't work. Tried a lot of things. Then an hour later it magically started working again.

I've had glitches with the layers in offline maps too. Fortunately I was in a familiar area, still frustrating.

I don't use the GPS within OnX. I keep it set to North always up and use a compass.

Jethro

WKR
phone to airplane mode before starting onx
^^Thats an important aspect that I think causes many to have problems.

If you have OnX open, don't even have to be using it, just an open tab on phone, and travel in/out of poor cell service, it can really cause it to get glitchy.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
^^Thats an important aspect that I think causes many to have problems.

If you have OnX open, don't even have to be using it, just an open tab on phone, and travel in/out of poor cell service, it can really cause it to get glitchy.
I always forget that

Something I've done in the past is to draw the route on my map online prior to downloading to phone. A lot easier to see where I am in relation to a drawn red line than zooming in and out and trying to use the topo on the smaller screen. Use this to mark roads in to certain trailheads, etc. Just easier visibility in general.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of the tips mentioned above are things we recommend as well.

If you're going to be in an area with marginal cell service, your best bet is going to be to operate in airplane mode as the app can sometimes have trouble determining whether to put itself in online or offline mode.

If your direction cone seems to be off, calibrating the compass on your device can often fix that issue. (A way to check if the issue is with the onX app or with your phone is to check your phone's compass against a physical compass. If the compass app on your phone is off, the cone in onX will be off as well.) We have also seen issues with some phone cases, especially those with built in battery packs, so that may be throwing off your device's compass as well.

And I'm sorry to hear about the issue with layers not showing on the map! Your best bet right now is to contact our customer support team directly at [email protected]. They'll be able to look at your account and see if there is a technical issue that is causing layers to not show on your map.