disappointing hunt in G

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
Well after years of applying i decided to hunt wyoming G for deer. I have done a lot of diy backpack hunts and have been fortunate to harvest on every hunt for the last 9 years. I was due for a humbling hunt. My chosen trail head had 3 pack strings and 5 trucks there. Even though i expected pressure there i never dreamed there would be that much! I went to plan B and with only 3 trucks and 1 trailer there I packed in 3.5mi on trail then went off trail and climbed 2400' to get into a drainage without trails close. The first morning - 2 days before season- someone else thought that drainage looked good and came in from the other side. That evening 2 guys came in from somewhere else. opening morning it looked like christmas lights on the ridgeline! I stayed for 2 more days looking into every hole I could find with no bucks over 140 found. I packed out, and went to plan C. That evening i spotted a buck a long ways off but i could tell he had a rack. while watching him he spooked over the mountain. Shortly later 2 headlamps walked through that basin and 2 more were between me and them. No deer were spotted that morning. I then went to plan X and climbed 3200' I spent 3 days there and only found 1 buck. Overall i seen 8 bucks in 10 days of looking, and not 1 over 140". It is easy to say i wasn't doing it right and maybe i wasn't. But i was on different glassing knobs before light, kept low and quiet and was using good glass trying to get different angles on good country and bad. I have glassed up a ton of critters and killed a lot but i truly believe they weren't there or tucked in because of the pressure. Overall a disappointing hunt and one i don't see myself repeating. I can go to montana on a general tag Or a colorado 2nd rifle and have a much better hunt. Hopefully someone else hunting in the famed G hunt went a lot better!

curious which unit you were in inside region g. I know that there was a lot more pressure this year than I have ever seen in that region. I was chasing elk and it was weird this year.

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
I was also chasing elk in G/H and felt like I was at home here in CO hunting OTC. I know the Gen tag is OTC for residents but there was a ton of people, even had the pleasure of getting some notes put on my truck asking me to hunt somewhere else. I can’t imagine what the rifle opener will look like in that area come October 15th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They weren't from me! It's funny I ran into several people who recognized me from prior years of hunting out there. But this is the first time I've run into multiple hunters four miles back or more and I've been going out there a long time.

4ester

WKR
It’s especially busy this year. As I resident, I too noticed that everything has been blown up. More people and less deer makes for tough hunting conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone I talked to said they had never seen so much pressure. I guess carona had a lot of people off work or worried about meat.
maybe that was the biggest problem. The highs in the 80’s -15deg above normal didn’t help. But still disappointing for 8years of applying

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy year! Never seen so much pressure as soon as you could get in the mountains since middle of June. Campsites always full even along the more remote routes. More guys going to the top than before. More equipment available to do it from your back. G isn't really deep country, there's always more than one route to get to the top of a ridge. Its finding those pockets and knowing where some deer are or will be. Dry, fair weather and more guys don't chicken out because of bad weather and spike out. Near record high temps for a month, G & H are crispy dry. Some areas have better deer densities than others throughout the Region. Some big bucks were killed first couple days, always are, country always produces some big ones. Only thing you can do when you start throwing darts at the map is hunt hard and hope it works out. Most that leave the mountains had a hunt just like yours.

Eagle

WKR
This sounds a lot like my experience in H in 2015, though I was able to kill a buck opening morning. The pressure really surprised me, and as a result, I've been saving up to get into G. I have no idea what the actual cause of this across the board increase in pressure is, as I've noticed hunters in CO and WY now mention elevated levels of other hunters, but I guess the only thing different from other years is the virus, so that is getting the bulk of the blame.

Region h was even worse.

G and h are not what a lot of guys expect for a hunt that takes a number of points to draw- always expect to see a lot of other hunters off trail, animals get timbered you fast, and the country is gnarly.

Many guys would be better served waiting and drawing somewhere that isn’t a super popular OTC hunt for residents.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
This is why I am a “second tier” unit kind of guy. Hype brings people and people ruin hunts for me. Sorry to hear it but not surprised. Outfitters with super cubs were a big factor in G’s popularity and a DIY guy going out there cold does not have that advantage.

Aerial scouting is illegal in Wyoming from the 1st of August. That type of scouting in G & H were a big factor in passing legislation.

haha just think Meateater episodes premiered just this year. That influence hasn't even trickled down yet.

I dont think it will have any more effect than what already occurs. Nonresidents are capped and resident pressure always fluctuates. Now it may effect how many pts itll take in the future for a nonres to draw.

That sucks man, lot of time to wait for a tag. And backpack hunting with pressure sucks—it’s not like you can hop in the truck and drive away! Sounds like a draining hunt.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Wyo2track, that was my point; those outfitters built the reputation and I am well aware and happy of the rule change. Had more than a few friends that had bighorn sheep hunts ruined with the same disgusting tactics.

Recently the things I see on G make me question drawing that tag. I have 9 points and planned to hunt G but not sure what I will do now. Sadly it appears to be the same trend in a lot of areas.

NUGGET

WKR
Man that sucks! There’s still a few days left in the season (unit 135). If you have the time send me a PM and I’ll give you some spots to hopefully find a nice buck,

NUGGET

WKR
FWIW this was a terrible year to have a western Wyoming mule deer tag. The winter kill was terrible and they haven’t recovered from the last bad winter. Add in the Covid factor with more people in the field and it sucks.

I believe region g is worth the points only if you have time to scout and/or know how to hunt big mature mule deer. Also you need the time. It’s one of the best mule deer units out there, even on a bad year. Not many areas get that much pressure and still kicks out bucks over 220 every year.

Also If you haven’t scouted a big buck I recommend skipping opening day. Wait a week and you will see a noticeable decline in hunters. The bucks will get back in their routine but it takes time.

I hope you enjoyed the country, some of the most beautiful country out there!

This is why I am a “second tier” unit kind of guy. Hype brings people and people ruin hunts for me. Sorry to hear it but not surprised. Outfitters with super cubs were a big factor in G’s popularity and a DIY guy going out there cold does not have that advantage.
I've seen the airplanes more in Idaho this year as well. Got flown over 8 or 9 times during 15 days of hunting. Planes would fly over in the afternoon, stir all the animals up, then hunters with guides would show up on horses in the morning. This is the first time I've encountered other hunters in the area I'm currently hunting. I still killed a good bull, but the planes messing up my evening hunt every day got old.