Disaster already?

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
So this is my first year trad hunting, been shooting for about 8 months and just noticed this, is the limb twisting? Is this fixable? I keep the bow stored with the string on it but resting on its side.
Arghhh what do I from here?

Attachments

• 20200922_204209.jpg
    20200922_204209.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200922_204155.jpg
    20200922_204155.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 152
Is it an ilf setup by chance? Small amount of twist you can adjust out with ilf. That doesn't look to be a small amount however.

Edit- doesn't look like OMP offers anything in ilf. Didn't know if they did it didn't.

Last edited:
OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Smokey mountain hunter, guess ill replace

Felix40

WKR
Try twisting it back the other way. I was able to fix an old bear recurve by doing this. It took a good amount of time but it eventually started tracking right. You don’t really have anything to lose by trying it.

It could also be a manufacturing defect due to it being a cheaper bow. It’s possible that inconsistencies in the laminates caused uneven bending and eventually led to the twist. Or maybe the limbs weren’t cut perfectly straight.

Last edited:

tater

WKR
Bumping a twisted recurve limb is no biggie.

Heat up with either hot running water or a hair dryer on low.
Heat evenly on belly and back, but not so much that it is too hot to touch (think chocolate cookies fresh out of the oven that are soft but cool enough to jam in your mouth without burning you).

Gently twist in direction you want the limb bumped to. Let air cool (do not run under cold water like some recommend).

You may have to do it a few times, and once the bump is complete, it may revert over time and have to be done again.

Older classic bows like the mid 60's Wings and Brownings often show some mild twist that need to be bumped back.

Beendare

WKR
Tater, you obviously have some experience with this....and to back you, I've heard from others that will work.

Question; Once you fix a bow limb like this....do they have a propensity to do it again?

___

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I fixed my limb twist in my super kodiak and my bear takedown by just twisting it the other way everytime before I shoot and then again when I was done. Took about week to get them straight. Hasn't come back yet. My super kodiak was about as bad as your picture.

tater

WKR
Tater, you obviously have some experience with this....and to back you, I've heard from others that will work.

Question; Once you fix a bow limb like this....do they have a propensity to do it again?

___

I would say it is a 50/50 split on whether they revert. I think there are two major factors: limb design (some limb designs have a cross sectional ratio that makes them more prone-wider profile/thinner lams like the early Wings) and how long has the limb had the twist.

I had a 64/5 split year Redwing that was a little rocket launcher but it had sat neglected for for a long time before i got it and i had to bump it two or three times a year to keep it usable. I had a Pearson Palomino that also had sat for years, but one bump squared it and as far as i know it is still being used to this day by a woman on the Coast.

A Browning Nomad Stalker 1 took four rounds of bumping over a three month period to get it to behave, and it is still square (but it took all of my patience to get it there and i swore if it shifted again i was going to just cut it up).

Like all things manufactured, it can also go sideways. One of my mentors as a kid had a squirrely early 70's Bear Super Kodiak he bumped a few times, and i am sure it shortened the life of that bow, as i watched it explode spectacularly one day at full draw. Left quite the impression on an eleven year old me. If a bow starts to creak, hang it up and walk away.

I haven't personally done it but know several who have straightened them. One guy uses a hair dryer or a heat gun pretty routinely. Another told me he sets them in the sun on something dark, he uses a hot tub cover. Let's it warm up that way then twists. I'd think a heat gun would be better, can focus the heat where you want to fix it.

I think the limb length is important. I have a Wapiti TD with the big Chastain curves in them, I had to give it a little twist when I first got it, super easy. The longer the limb the easier it will twist and vice versa.

MrTim

FNG
Unstring, twist it back, restring. Repeat if necessary. Adding heat would be a last resort in my opinion.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I've been gently twisting a little each night and it is holding itself pretty straight already- thankfully! Hopefully will not de-rail my season- no way is my wife on board with me replacing limbs- even cheapos haha

slatty

WKR
Bumping a twisted recurve limb is no biggie.

Heat up with either hot running water or a hair dryer on low.
Heat evenly on belly and back, but not so much that it is too hot to touch (think chocolate cookies fresh out of the oven that are soft but cool enough to jam in your mouth without burning you).

Gently twist in direction you want the limb bumped to. Let air cool (do not run under cold water like some recommend).

You may have to do it a few times, and once the bump is complete, it may revert over time and have to be done again.

Older classic bows like the mid 60's Wings and Brownings often show some mild twist that need to be bumped back.
I followed this advice after I called him in a panic 2 days before an elk hunt when I mis-strung my bear takedown bow. It worked great and the bow shoots awesome after a couple years.
Still haven't arrowed an elk but that's a lot more complicated fix...

mooster

WKR
disaster, me too, 1st time trad shooting. 90 days later and I've split a limb. I noticed the top limb rocked a bit, but not twisted. I tightened the limb by hand, but hard a week ago. I went to draw it and heard a light cracking sound. result in pix. apparently i shouldn't have tightened it? I'm only out $62, bought used on Amazon. worth every penny as I love trad shooting, but bummed my hunts this week will be w/compound.

IMG-5945.jpgIMG-5938.jpg

Last edited:

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
Twincedar is that a Samick Sage compatible limb? Top limb from your description correct? What is the poundage on them?

mooster

WKR
It’s a Kesh
Twincedar is that a Samick Sage compatible limb? Top limb from your description correct? What is the poundage on them?
It’s a Keshes bow, supposed to be 62”, 50#@28”. Amazon special for $62 for whole kit, was a used return NIB. Actually only pulls 45# @ 28” but shot great for me <\= 20 yds until the limb split. Keshes says they’ll send a replacement limb under warranty. Not sure if compatible with Samick.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I asked because I had a lower limb twist on a set of 45# sage limbs. I bumped it back but it never was perfect and I got sick of stressing about it. Bought a new set but kept the old. If you need the upper limb let me know and I'll send it along.

mooster

WKR
I asked because I had a lower limb twist on a set of 45# sage limbs. I bumped it back but it never was perfect and I got sick of stressing about it. Bought a new set but kept the old. If you need the upper limb let me know and I'll send it along.
Thanks. They say ones coming so I should be good. Thanks again tho.

Reactions: GMC