Discoloration on euro mount

id450

WKR
I’ve done several euro mounts but never a big boar. Used 20% by volume peroxide and got a great result expect for these discolored sections on the jaws and along the snout. Is it fat coming up ? Anyway to fix it other than paint ? Would letting 30/40 peroxide cream soy on it a few days help or hurt? Thanks
928e6bf63b9e4661dc0aa6af033d0e3a.jpg

8e28355cd50aea564b784b54cb4b4829.jpg

152b73464695aab3da8b874bcfd8bf26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like grease to me. I really regret doing the simmer in borax technique on a lot of my euros. They look pretty good at first but eventually grease comes to the surface. Best way I’ve found to degrease is to macerate until the flesh comes off and then place the skull in 115-120 degree water with dawn dish soap until the grease comes out. If you’ve already simmered it the grease is pretty well cooked in and is tough to get out. You might want to try soaking in acetone OR a mixture of water and ammonia

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
And to answer your question about soaking it in peroxide...in my experience peroxide has basically no effect on whitening if it’s grease.

OP
I

id450

WKR
I may try that. Thanks for for the help.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Btw I did run it to a gentle boil for 30 on dawn and arm n hammer detergent.

I usually simmer, pressure wash, nylon brush, and use that salon care peroxide. Seems to not leave much grease.

4ester

WKR
If you search the taxidermy forums you will see that bears and pigs are the worst for stubborn fat in the skull.

It takes a long time to get it out with traditional heated Dawn. Some guys even use Acetone (no heat) and that speeds it up.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Thats grease thats still in the bone, I had thats with my one black bear skull. What worked for me was I soaked in dawn dish soap for 4 weeks changing the water when murky. Keep water around 90 degrees. Then get acetone and soak it in that for a few weeks. Then back to dawn and water. Also the strong ammonia that you can get in Aces works well. Cleaning with beetles or maceration works best. Maceration helps keep the degreasing you have to do to a minimum. Good luck

OP
I

id450

WKR
Thats grease thats still in the bone, I had thats with my one black bear skull. What worked for me was I soaked in dawn dish soap for 4 weeks changing the water when murky. Keep water around 90 degrees. Then get acetone and soak it in that for a few weeks. Then back to dawn and water. Also the strong ammonia that you can get in Aces works well. Cleaning with beetles or maceration works best. Maceration helps keep the degreasing you have to do to a minimum. Good luck

Ok, yeah I was figuring it was fat , thanks for confirming guys. What a process for these. Thanks for the ideas and input. I’ll be working to improve it.

Everyone has responded with all the correct methods for degreasing skulls. I just quit doing Taxidermy commercially in 2020 and don’t miss all the maceration for skulls! Lol One other option is to take a tiny drill bit and drill a small hole in the spots that hold the grease. You don’t need to drill all the way through and don’t need many holes. These tiny holes can be left or filled in white fix it sculpt or apoxie sculpt.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone has responded with all the correct methods for degreasing skulls. I just quit doing Taxidermy commercially in 2020 and don’t miss all the maceration for skulls! Lol One other option is to take a tiny drill bit and drill a small hole in the spots that hold the grease. You don’t need to drill all the way through and don’t need many holes. These tiny holes can be left or filled in white fix it sculpt or apoxie sculpt.
Really interesting tip! I’ll have to try that with some stubborn skulls

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Acetone soak has worked really well without damaging bones like peroxide does, just be careful to use a sealed container and keep sparks/flames away.

OP
I

id450

WKR

Yes, its all good Advice , what it saying is a nice pro tip i would never think of . So the idea is it will drain or most likely dry up? Thanks for the help.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Yes, its all good Advice , what it saying is a nice pro tip i would never think of . So the idea is it will drain or most likely dry up? Thanks for the help.

Would you have me try the drilling or acetone option first ?

Batch

FNG
bears are a pain in the ass to degrease. i use the clear dawn dish soap and ammonia , also a good soak in acetone for really stubborn ones. Bears just take time. i also whiten with Baqaucil oxidizer.
i have beetles and do maceration. i do like the fact that maceration helps with the degreasing. just gets pretty rank sometimes.

Last edited:
I would try the acetone method first. It will take a while but it does work. Especially with bears and pigs. Poor the acetone into a bucket with a screw on plastic lid so it won’t evaporate. The faster method with dawn and ammonia works well if you put a little heat to it. Put the skull into a bucket or any plastic container with your mix then place the bucket into a bigger container with water. Place an aquarium heater into the water. Change out the dawn and ammonia bucket when it gets murky. When it stays clear for more than a few days to a week it should be done. Let it dry well and see if more grease starts to leach out. If it does, repeat the process.

You can also use a propane stove like a single burner camp chef or a double and just use one side. Whichever method you use do not let the water temp get above 115-120 degrees. You have to really watch the propane stove method or it will get way to hot and ruin the bone quickly.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Sweet, thanks for the detailed outline. I’m on it.