Discount on new Kifaru frame through Massdrop?

mfolch

WKR
I've created a section entitled 'Ultralight Hunting Packs' on Massdrop. If you--like me--are tempted to trade in a not-so-old bikini or duplex for the new hunting frame, but are hesitating before dropping so much cash on another frame, perhaps it might be in our collective interest to pool resources and get a discount on the frame.

In case you're not on Massdrop, here's how they describe themselves: "Massdrop is an online community for enthusiasts that provides people across several communities a place to connect, discuss their favorite products and activities, and buy those products together." Basically, they leverage the purchasing power of a large community of potential buyers to negotiate discounts from manufacturers. All we need to do is vote on whichever frame/pack is of interest. (Voting does not imply a commitment to purchase, by the way; the company decides how many of the products they choose to sell and at what discount.) Once one of the frames reaches 200 votes on Massdrop, they'll reach out to the company that makes the winner (be it Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Hill People Gear, Seek Outside, etc.) with the possibility of a mass purchase. And the more people buy, the steeper the discount. I've bought gear from them at over 50% off. It's a long shot, but maybe it's worth it.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ultralight-hunting-packs

I have bought a half dozen items in massdrop with a EE quilt being the best of them. I don't see it being a need for Kifaru at this time but I could be wrong.

I would be all for this, but I don't see Kifaru going for it. Maybe Aron will chime in and give us his perspective on it.

dotman

WKR
I highly doubt Kifaru is having a hard time selling their frames at full price.

OP
M

mfolch

WKR
Last year I purchased a custom cuben fiber pack and frame for $300. Last month I saw the same exact pack and frame on massdrop for $185. I think they sold 250 of those packs at that price, and now there's a wait list of another 170 people hoping for the maker to renew the offer. It's not about whether kifaru needs the business--it's that sometimes production costs are less steep for such bulk orders, so maybe kifaru might be willing to consider if the order is large enough. After all, all or almost all of those frames will need to be fitted to new packs, which means increased customer base, loyalty, etc. I know it's a pipe dream but still...

dotman

WKR
Yeah well the guy that would make the decision already answered that it isn't going to happen in a post above :)

mk_v

WKR
Why not try for stone glacier then? That would be a great pack! Be even better if there was a discount

dotman

WKR
Truthfully if I was a small company I wouldn't do it, kind of devalues your product IMO. If people catch on why would they ever pay you full price again. Resale will tank for those that paid full price. Only reason I could see doing it is if I was a startup and wanted to get more product out for word of mouth.