Disinformation on hunting forums

Rob5589

WKR
I think most people here are genuine and willing to help if you have shown that some effort has been put forth prior to asking for information. It is off putting, however, when someone's first post is that they purchased a tag for "XYZ" and have done zero research on that tag/zone/state.

If you are speaking of AZ and cameras I have almost no doubt they will be banned soon and the ban date if enacted will be Jan 01/2022. We are now in the public comment period (Jan. 1, 2021 through Feb. 1, 2021) and once that's over I'll bet they vote it in the following commission meeting.
Thats good to know Bob, thank you for the info.

isu22andy

WKR
Lots of chest beaters here, but most of them wouldnt turn down some free info on a unit they were headed to and didnt know. Everyone starts somewhere. I had a guy help me out on antelope hunt that never knew me from adam and he opened the doors to me to hunting the west. I am forever thankful and never blabbed about it all over the internet where I went.

I think I'm in agreement with most others here. I don't mind offering some direction or some ideas of where to start for a guy. Definitely not gonna be dropping anyone a pin on my camp. I suppose I can kinda sympathize with the going across country for the first time to a place and having a plan fall apart. Especially when it's a guy who works his ass off all year and only gets a week vacation from work to make it all happen. Been there. You can stare at topos and Google Earth til your eyes want to stage a coup but until you get boots on the ground you'll never have more than a relative idea about a place. I've been on the other side too. When I was young and broke (broker, anyway) an hour drive for me to hunt was a big deal and I kinda resented all of the out of state tags in my backyard. These days I take it on a case by case basis. I've seen, met, and talked to both the best and the worst of both locals and out of staters both in my backyard and abroad. So it comes down to if I feel like someone is worth helping. Much harder to determine on a forum, but then it comes down to what kind of questions are being asked. Definitely more apt to help someone who can build a question that makes it evident they've put some effort in than "Where dem big racks at?". I got stories for days about dudes who were like that from the years I spent ranching in Wyoming.

Fatcamp

WKR
I had a guy on a nonhunting respond to a question to a guestion I asked about a picture he posted with very detailed information. Pretty sure he was 6 deep in the White Claw shuffle because he never talked to me again.

Someday I'm gonna go kill an elk there.

Bighorner

WKR
I was once starting out and it was pretty well understood no one was going to tell you what stump to sit on in what clearing. If you went with someone you learned what type of area it was and why it was good. You sure as hell didn't show back up there next tuesday on your own. I get that this is public ground, but there is leg work involved in getting to know it.

No different than driving around during season talking to folks and fibbing them.

Been going on since the dawn of time I'm sure, we just have the luxury of doing it from our home now.

chasewild

WKR
Lots of chest beaters here, but most of them wouldnt turn down some free info on a unit they were headed to and didnt know. Everyone starts somewhere. I had a guy help me out on antelope hunt that never knew me from adam and he opened the doors to me to hunting the west. I am forever thankful and never blabbed about it all over the internet where I went.
Maybe not, but some of us won't use the methods mentioned on this thread.

Case in point, I've got a 5 month old now, I have limited (and I mean LIMITED) time off, and I'm headed to a new unit, with a new species, on a 7 hour drive without previously posting about "x species" or "general info" or "new to the XX game" or "hey, can you help a guy out." Am I nervous? Sure, a little. But the best meat eaters I know love eating tags as well.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Don’t want phony info don’t come on here spewing questions with units, towns, and areas asking for people’s honey holes.
get in your Subaru, tighten up your mtn ops hat and go see for yourself on OTC hunts

I can understand super limited draw tags or once in a lifetime animals or exotics but not OTC hunts anymore
This is spot on and beautifully said.
What if a guy just wants an honest review of different white claw flavors? This is still the right place for that?

Lime is the 6.5 of all the claws, so versatile and effective so there really is no need to look any further.

Rob5589

WKR

Case in point, I've got a 5 month old now, I have limited (and I mean LIMITED) time off, and I'm headed to a new unit, with a new species, on a 7 hour drive without previously posting about "x species" or "general info" or "new to the XX game" or "hey, can you help a guy out." Am I nervous? Sure, a little. But the best meat eaters I know love eating tags as well.

Great way to look at it. I've come to the idea that the first time to a new spot is as much about exploring the unit as it is hunting it.

J Batt

WKR
Because posting any comment whatsoever that makes a unit sound good or stand out from any others will be there for the world to see, and pretty much ensure more people go there after seeing it in places like this, thus adding a bunch of pressure and making it a worse place to hunt...

My opinion is that those discussions should be handled privately unless you're talking about high point units, once in a lifetime hunts, etc.

Edit: Just so people know where I'm coming from, I will share info with people in private who are contributors here, and have likewise gotten helpful info from people here. I just don't think putting it out for everyone on the Internet is at all a good thing...
This for sure! They should start teaching this at hunters safety courses.

Case in point, I've got a 5 month old now, I have limited (and I mean LIMITED) time off, and I'm headed to a new unit, with a new species, on a 7 hour drive without previously posting about "x species" or "general info" or "new to the XX game" or "hey, can you help a guy out." Am I nervous? Sure, a little. But the best meat eaters I know love eating tags as well
I`m used to the taste of paper. If my success was based on killing my life would suck. I will eat paper all year long to experience what I have. It can be replaced by nothing.

Laramie

WKR
I truly enjoy helping people via PM. I know more areas than I can ever hunt again in my lifetime so why not share? However, I'll also openly admit that I have cast a negative shadow at times in the past about an area in a public forum. These messages are read by a LOT more people than the members on here. I am aware of a group of guys who did their best to influence the draw odds on a particular area simply with forum posts (AT). It was amazing how well it worked. A lot of people make application decisions based on what they read online. Bottom line, don't post anything positive publicly about an area you plan to draw in the future.

J Batt

WKR
Ask for a good OTC unit is lazy and selfish. You might say “units are big I’ll be out of your way.” But there’s only so many trailheads in a unit...

I`m used to the taste of paper. If my success was based on killing my life would suck. I will eat paper to all year long to experience what I have. It can be replaced by nothing.
I have ate tag soup plenty of times on my whitetail hunts. Once in Iowa on a great unit. Saw great bucks but couldn’t get it done. Several times in Kansas. I still go back to Kansas not going back to Iowa. My take is Iowa is too expensive for the same quality of deer in other states. Being from Mississippi all state have better whitetail than my home state but I can kill 10 here and they sure eat good.