Dislocated Shoulder

prm

WKR
Anybody had one, and if so, how long to shoot a compound bow?

edit: right handed, right arm came out.

Antares

WKR
I’ve dislocated my right side 5 or 6 times. It’s been years, but seems like it was 2-4 months before it was back to full strength.

Reactions: prm

Sled

WKR
Right handed shooter and I've subluxed my left several times. The initial injury took 4-6 weeks to heal but that all depends on how you treat it and what happened during the dislocation. If you have too much tendon stretch then you may need surgical intervention.

The nice thing about shooting a bow is you generally are keeping the joint tight as you pull and the other shoulder is getting pulled back into itself with good form. If you over bow yourself then you might have issues. If you turn down the lbs, use good form and do not have pain, then you should be good.

Any previous injury to that shoulder? Are you in good shape?

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
My shoulder dislocates on its own on the regular due to a shallow socket. I find it's more about how I pull back(aka high elbow proper form), than pulling back . I would wait until it doesn't hurt if nothing is damaged and get back to it, maybe lower # a little. For me, I'm usually ready again in 10-15min.
Probably wasn't very helpful. Sorry

Dislocated my right shoulder years ago. Do your Physical Therapy, call around or google the clinics about me pages and find someone specializing in sports injuries or seems to have an interest in outdoor sports (will be more fun for you).

I didn’t do my PT and now my shoulder ligaments are all stretched and weird years later. Makes for pulling bow string back awkward and can mess with my form as my arm wants to lock in one or two places...

also sometimes when i move my arm a certain way it gets stuck then suddenly pops free. For example, putting it around my kid when sitting on couch; my daughter is sittting on the couch minding her buisness, eating goldfish, watching paw patrol, then BAM! Shoulder pops free and ive accidently smacked my kid across her face and sent goldfish across the floor!

PT brotha - gotta do it.

Dislocated my right shoulder years ago. Do your Physical Therapy, call around or google the clinics about me pages and find someone specializing in sports injuries or seems to have an interest in outdoor sports (will be more fun for you).

I didn’t do my PT and now my shoulder ligaments are all stretched and weird years later. Makes for pulling bow string back awkward and can mess with my form as my arm wants to lock in one or two places...

also sometimes when i move my arm a certain way it gets stuck then suddenly pops free. For example, putting it around my kid when sitting on couch; my daughter is sittting on the couch minding her buisness, eating goldfish, watching paw patrol, then BAM! Shoulder pops free and ive accidently smacked my kid across her face and sent goldfish across the floor!

PT brotha - gotta do it.
Forgot to add: point of PT is to build strength in specific muscles to prevent future dislocations.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I’ve badly broken both collarbones and broke my right arm a few times racing motocross. Missed one season of bowhunting due to my last collarbone break. Never completely popped my arm out though. Very odd. Hurt like hell until it was reset. Reasonably fit, but things don’t heal once over 50 like they did when younger. Was supposed to qualify this month for a group I hunt with. I’m guessing I’ll be doing some crossbow shopping.

Marble

WKR
If you have a shoulder issue, exercises prescribed by a really good PT can cure you if something isn't being surgery. After two shoulder surgeries, I regularly have to do PT all year ( on my own) to maintain strength and stability.

Just 20 minutes in front of the TV will do it. Within a few weeks you'll notice a difference.

If you tell your PT what your goal is, they can target those muscles and give you suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Silver

FNG
Right handed, right shoulder displacement several times doing a variety of activities. As far as archery goes, I found that a) I could usually start shooting pretty quickly (not that this was smart, but usually next day at worst), and b) I could manage it by limiting the number of arrows in a session. Bear in mind this was in my late teens/early 20s - mileage may vary based on your age. For me I found compound worse for my shoulder than traditional, mostly because the rapid changes in force that come when the draw cycle rolls over.

I eventually tore the labrum in that shoulder rock climbing, and PT didn't seem to help it progress at that point. I eventually had surgery to repair the damage, and I haven't had any issues since it was done (4 years now, at 29 years old).

Listen to your body, listen to your PT and Dr, do the exercises prescribed to the letter, and at the end of the day be wiling to explore other options if it's not getting better. My only regret with the surgery is not getting it done sooner

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I couldn't even pick up my bow and hold it away from my body with my right hand at the moment. I‘m starting to think the MRI may not reveal great news.

cured_ham

WKR
Dislocated shoulder on a Thursday (bow arm). Spent all day Friday working on getting it move enough to shoot 3d. Shot and met with surgeon the next week. Torn labrum. MRI confirmed and had surgery (3/15).

7 weeks out now and am working on range of motion. Expecting to make my elk hunt in september at reduced weight.

Marble

WKR
Dislocated shoulder on a Thursday (bow arm). Spent all day Friday working on getting it move enough to shoot 3d. Shot and met with surgeon the next week. Torn labrum. MRI confirmed and had surgery (3/15).

7 weeks out now and am working on range of motion. Expecting to make my elk hunt in september at reduced weight.
Surgery for my torn labrum was beginning of January and I was 95% by first week of June. But not completely healed. But strength and stability were great. Mine took 4 or 5 anchors and was completely torn in half.

I think you'll be just fine for this fall.

But be careful with it. I made the mistake of falling while running down the first base line and ripped an anchor out. The labrum was still good, but the anchor was floating around in my joint which was painful...

Silver

FNG

My surgery was 3/27, and by early July I was comfortable mountaineering/climbing, on a 10 day sheep hunt (rifle, backpacking) by early August. If I recall I started shooting my bow again right around that time as well. So long as you don't have setbacks you should be good for September. It was about 12 weeks of healing/PT before I really started to push things.

Beendare

WKR
If you have a shoulder issue, exercises prescribed by a really good PT can cure you if something isn't being surgery. After two shoulder surgeries, I regularly have to do PT all year ( on my own) to maintain strength and stability.

Just 20 minutes in front of the TV will do it. Within a few weeks you'll notice a difference.

If you tell your PT what your goal is, they can target those muscles and give you suggestions.

_____

Last edited: