Displaying guns

Dunndm

WKR
Hey everyone,

I’m moving into a new house soon and have been trying to find a cool but fairly cheap way to display Guns. The house I’m moving into has a decent size loft and I have a good collection of milsurps, animals and misc military memorabilia. The only problem is gun hangers are anywhere from 30-100$ each and I just can’t stomach spending that much per wall hanger. The hanger will cost more than some of the guns!

Any pictures or ideas from anyone is much appreciated. I’m a carpenter by trade so I can always make some, I just work so much I don’t really feel like working when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
All joking aside....I saw a custom display case in a gun room which was about 6' tall, 5' wide and about 1' depth....it was glass on the 5' wide sides and wood on the end caps 1' depth. The owner had approx 8 guns (rifles/shotguns) inside this case. It was quite well presented...not too gowdy/showy, but yet you could still tell these held a high value for him. I am not a gun collector, but thought this was quite a handsome way to display these firearms.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Make your own?

I dont display at all, unless in use. Not collectables tho.

Everything I’d display are collectibles. Guns from 1830 to 1950. So most of them aren’t even shootable or I can’t get ammo for them anyway.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
All joking aside....I saw a custom display case in a gun room which was about 6' tall, 5' wide and about 1' depth....it was glass on the 5' wide sides and wood on the end caps 1' depth. The owner had approx 8 guns (rifles/shotguns) inside this case. It was quite well presented...not too gowdy/showy, but yet you could still tell these held a high value for him. I am not a gun collector, but thought this was quite a handsome way to display these firearms.

Any chance you have a picture hahah
I’ve built a couple gun cases/closets but sold them to people that were paying way to much for something I built.

As above the antler idea isn’t a bad idea… being in South Carolina it’s pretty difficult to go out and find sheds though.

bozeman

WKR
Any chance you have a picture hahah
I’ve built a couple gun cases/closets but sold them to people that were paying way to much for something I built.

As above the antler idea isn’t a bad idea… being in South Carolina it’s pretty difficult to go out and find sheds though.

No sir, but wish I had taken one. It was pretty sharp.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have a few black powder guns, rifles and handguns on display. I went over to Lowes to their hardware section and pick up some J hangers and felt padding. they work great. You said you are a carpenter so, for hand guns I made a display, kind of triangle shaped with dowels attached to display my handguns on.Resized_20220210_063818.jpegResized_20220210_063807.jpeg

ODB

WKR
Everything I’d display are collectibles. Guns from 1830 to 1950. So most of them aren’t even shootable or I can’t get ammo for them anyway.

I know guys still shooting doubles from the 1890s.

If you’ve got a selection of rifles from the 20s - 50s in oddball, hard-to-find calibers I’d love to know what they are.

If any start with 318, 333, especially so…

I'm sorry but - out of sight - out of mind. If they aren't obvious then you have less chance to be a target for a robbery or burglery. Everything I have is not obvious to visitors unless I wish to share. Guess that's a reason we don't have gun racks in trucks any more.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Totally agree with Pony Soldier. I'll show the 2 old rusty single shot shotguns I have, only when I know and trust that person. Locked up rest of the time!

Wvroach

WKR
I'm sorry but - out of sight - out of mind. If they aren't obvious then you have less chance to be a target for a robbery or burglery. Everything I have is not obvious to visitors unless I wish to share. Guess that's a reason we don't have gun racks in trucks any more.
I get what your saying but he may be like me and not let people I don't know on a personal level in his house to begin with.

No need to hide them, my gun room is locked and if we were to have visitors that I didn't know it would stay that way the duration of the visit. Somebody I'd worry about snooping around to find it wouldn't be invited in to begin with though.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The weapons I have on display, while fully functional are all flint lock or ball and cap style. they do have street value for crooks looking to sell for $$$$ to buy drugs with. As for weapons of choice to be used in a armed robbery, they are pretty useless. Other weapons are well secured and never on display. But, guys remember if a crooks wants what you have, they will get it. That is why I have insurance riders on all thing not covered under normal home owners coverage.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I know guys still shooting doubles from the 1890s.

If you’ve got a selection of rifles from the 20s - 50s in oddball, hard-to-find calibers I’d love to know what they are.

If any start with 318, 333, especially so…

A couple of the guns are black powder double. I truthfully don’t know what it shoots.

Others are 6.5 Carcano (before the review), .303 Brit isn’t terribly hard to find just expensive. I’d have to look again at the others I honestly forget what the other 2 are I never could find the ammo for them so I just stopped looking

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I get what your saying but he may be like me and not let people I don't know on a personal level in his house to begin with.

No need to hide them, my gun room is locked and if we were to have visitors that I didn't know it would stay that way the duration of the visit. Somebody I'd worry about snooping around to find it wouldn't be invited in to begin with though.

This. I’m not an anti social person by any means but I typically don’t allow people in my house. If they are, they aren’t allowed near the gun room. If I trust someone, that’s different. This room isn’t going to be the first room you walk into my house in. It will be locked in a loft/attic area that’s heavily insulated.

I have a flintlock and percussion traditional muzzleloader in my trophy room/bar/play area on a few "deer foot" gun racks made from a buck I had taken on a hunting trip. Nothing high value and about 8'6" off the floor to where they are mounted.

brunobear

FNG
I used a decorative slatwall ( you can google them and many companies sell them) and then used slatwall hangers and hooks. Looks good and was done with fair price. I believe i have a beechwood slatwall but they have different styles.

grfox92

WKR

This is what I was thinking, who are you bringing into your house that you don't trust? The answer in my house is no one.

I understand some people have teenagers or young adults who may bring random friends over. If that's the case then no guns should be hanging on the wall and everything locked up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
This is what I was thinking, who are you bringing into your house that you don't trust? The answer in my house is no one.

I understand some people have teenagers or young adults who may bring random friends over. If that's the case then no guns should be hanging on the wall and everything locked up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have one son as of now. He’s 8 weeks old.. I have time before I need to do that