Distance for shotgun on turkeys...

PhillyB

WKR
Just curious what distance is for a shotgun with a turkey. I patterned my shotgun out to 20 yds and got good spatial coverage with 4 shot on a 10" paper plate.

I have a shotgun with a modified barrel choke, not tapped for a barrel choke.

Is 20 yds good enough or should I send the barrel out to have it tapped for a choke so I can get it out to 40 yds?

Mckinnon

WKR
Did you try it past 20? I would use a bigger target for patterning than a paper plate, such as an opened up cardboard box with lines breaking it up into 4 segments...

When patterning a turkey gun I use a roll of carpenters paper, costs around $10 for a 100ft roll. Its something like 30-34" wide, and I cut a piece to length.
Shoot at the paper to determine point of aim and point of impact, and count the number of pellets in a 10" circle. The generally accepted rule is a minimum of 100 evenly spaced pellets in a 10" circle.

If you are shooting lead, #6 shot will give you more pellets per load, and consequently a better pattern. It has more than enough energy to kill a turkey at any range you have an ethical pattern.....meaning you will run out of pattern before you run out of killing power.
If you are using heavier than lead loads, #7's work very well.

Only you can determine if the 20 yard pattern is sufficient for you, personally I prefer all of my turkey guns to shoot a good 40 yard pattern at a minimum. Again that is just me though.

I have always shot turkey with a full choke. I've killed them out a ways. 30 or 40 yards has been my fartherest turkey kill but modified choke I'd gather would be your biggest factor shooting out farther. What kind of shell you shoot or the load plays into it too. It is fun getting them in close. 20 yards to me is far now and like calling them in close. For me getting them in close is part of the challenge.

193357_1590708971650_1353638974_31301068_8133240_o.jpg

3 1/2" extended range #5's here. Shot thru a undertaker choke.
Puts a hurten on them at 50 yards.
Spot n stalk turkeys is fun too. Especially if there henned up.

cburns17

FNG
40 yards is the standard test, but you'll most likely run into pattern problems at that distance with a modified choke. Maybe take a look at ammo that shoots best with a less restrictive choke. Hornady heavy magnum is supposed to be used with a modified or imp. cyl. choke. Their wad works better when it is allowed to stay with the shot. The shells gave an acceptable pattern to 35 yards with #6's, but no further. I got better results with other loads and an extra full choke, but if you're limited to a modified barrel it could be a good option.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
40 yards is the standard test, but you'll most likely run into pattern problems at that distance with a modified choke. Maybe take a look at ammo that shoots best with a less restrictive choke. Hornady heavy magnum is supposed to be used with a modified or imp. cyl. choke. Their wad works better when it is allowed to stay with the shot. The shells gave an acceptable pattern to 35 yards with #6's, but no further. I got better results with other loads and an extra full choke, but if you're limited to a modified barrel it could be a good option.

Thats great info. I checked the website and I have a Hornady Dealer in town. I will stop by and pick up a box.

bradb

WKR
I can put well into the 200's for pellets in a 10" at 40 yards with my shot gun. Muzzle loader is very close to 200. I would rather get them in close then shoot them that far.

brianboh

Banned
I shoot a Indian Creek choke with Magnum Blend Heavy Shot. I rolled a longbeard at 70 yards two weeks ago. I am a proffesional turkey hunter and there is not a better combination out there. I would highly reccomend getting your gun tapped for a choke. There is almost nothing as dissapointing than working to call a gobbler in to miss him or even worse wounding him. My gun has rolled 13 longbeards in two weeks so far. Only one wounded bird and that is because he shot at a walking gobbler and did not lead him. At 50 yards he did a back flip. The problem was he hit him dead square in the side of his body. I also always reccomend putting an adjustable sight on your gun too and sight it in.