Distance to 'Get Away Cabin' or Property?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
A guy has to be careful on a second place for enjoyment. They require a lot of up keep. Easy to spend all of your time there working. I own some hunting land 13 miles from my house. I don't think I would ever want to build a cabin there. I have a good place to sleep way to close to build. I was surprised just how many people have a cabin away some place on here.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
most of these responses definitely are on the right track - especially the ones that note too close is not getting away.

one acquaintance has a place that is just over 5 hours - he goes maybe twice a year; it is a bit of a stretch to go just for the weekend especially since it is more rustic and he has to pack a lot to go.
another has a place that is 2-hours away; they go about every other weekend. however, their arrival and departure times have varied over the years as the population grows and the highways fill up - to avoid the traffic they have been short-staying which makes it worse.

one thing - no matter what - being able to leave gear/furnishings etc at the away place is a solid recommendation; eliminates the need to pack in order to go. Being able to just grab food and some restock items when prepping to leave will make it more appealing to just go on a whim.
Being able to leave things there makes quick trips easy. I can throw together an overnight bag and go.
2-3 times a year we bring all the sheets and blankets home to wash.

We lease a cabin and land with a few other guys that's about 1hr 20min from our house. We get there 3-4 days a week during deer season (Oct.-Dec.) and make about a dozen trips a year for maintenance, food plots and scouting. This doesn't count turkey, waterfowl or bird hunting trips. If it was any further, we wouldn't use it near as much and probably wouldn't be in on the lease.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Now that I moved it's 12 hours away. Used be to 3 hours. Makes for longer trips less frequently, where before it was weekend trips quite often. Probably still the same amount of overall use.

I used to live 1 1/2 hours from our family cabin. That was perfect for one or two night trips or longer.

I moved and now it’s 9+ hours away. Rarely go anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Minnesota lake country. Wrestled with staying in house and having cabin. Decided on moving to house on a lake out of town for 20 years . No regrets. One place enough to take care of vs 2. Not sure of your job and life situation ,but a lot of folks working from home these days. I feel blessed to get to live in my "cabin". Here " non- homestead " taxes are brutal on non- primary residence . I guess the big question is how much "use" will you get out of it depending on distance. Only you can answer. Little different scenario . Talk to someone who has a nice camper they thought they would use on weekends and there it sits. Good luck.

Ddog

WKR
Got a little hunting shack on a river about 40 minutes north of home. Grew up going to my grandpa's cabin a little over an hour away. Nice to be able to run up and hunt, fish or get some work done. Speaking of work, anything I do up there is to enjoy it more, so I don't mind. A break to fling a few arrows or cast a line and I'm ready to get back at it. Or crack a cold one, whichever sounds better at the time.
40f3b9fce6c8c7cee71fde34456cc517.jpg
7b80bd1ce7ee8bbe3aa0e2703df2110f.jpg

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
Dont have a cabin but would love to have one in the Appalachian Mtns., bordering NF.
Live on the Gulf Coast. Wife loves it here, will never leave.
So if it ever happens, I'm a good 5-8 hrs away.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
About 10 hours door to door. Little longer if traffic is bad at the border in the soo. Any closer and I wouldn't be far enough north for my liking. It's too far for a weekend quick trip but I bought it as my summer retirement plan so for time being I use it for 3 or 4 weeks in the summer. 6 more years and I'll live there in the summer. Well unless they close the border again.

30 seconds and 2 hours.
We have a home on 2 acres in the wooded hills about 30 minutes from the city.
We also have a small dry cabin about 2-hrs away on the other side of the city. It has an "Out", which is much like an out-house without the house part.

The home is too much like a cabin for us to really need another place.
When we first bought the cabin we were there 1x/month, more in the summer, less in the winter.
The past few years we've only been to the cabin to cut Christmas trees.

I'd sell it but it's not really worth that much, if we move into the city we'll need the escape and it'll be a lot closer, and I'm not sure if the kids would want to keep and use it for their families.

I think I would have been better off becoming a steady customer at a resort. I could buy a lot of low-maintenance weeks for what I sunk into the cabin.

jbravo13

FNG
Just over 3 hours for me. Feels like the right amount that you’re actually getting away from reality for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schism

WKR
Our cabin is about 90 miles, or about 1.25-1.5 hours from the house. Far enough to feel we are away from home but not so far that we don't/won't drive out and back the same day.

wytx

WKR
We have a 1 acre lot in the NF an hour from the house, no cabin yet but got a well drilled last summer. We set our wall tent for hunting.
We also work for a rancher about an hour away and have a ranch house to stay in when up there working and just taking time off.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
About 45 minutes from home. My family and I love spending time here, even though there is always work to do. We spend many weekends a year at the cabin, summer and winter. We have to use a tracked Polaris Ranger or snowmachines for access in the winter. We are fortunate to have a creek with three ponds in front of the cabin. We have hydro power and solar with a generator and a battery bank.

Attachments

• cabin.jpg
    cabin.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 16
Heck, I drive up to an hour just to go hunt half a day. A full on cabin and property 1-2hrs away would be a chip shot. I drive to my Dads place 5.5-6hrs away 4-6 times a year. Half those trips made with the family or just my son. I think 3hrs would be maxing out my Friday evening to late Sunday trips. More than that up to 5.5hrs, I’d probably need 3.5-4 days available to go. 6hrs up would start to greatly reduce the frequency. Now if it were my place and I had decent internet access, that would change things some. At least during the summer and long breaks from school for my son. My wife is 100% work from home and I can WFH two days a week. A 6hr drive might happen more often. Depends on how much getting ready is needed.