Distance to Most Common Scouting Locations

def90

WKR
This is the kind of distance/duration thing I was thinking would be the case for many of us who live nearby mountains on public land. Thanks for replying with both. Its interesting to see that many are willing to drive more than a few hours to scout their hunting areas, and then drive back as well. I wonder how many camp/spend the night at their locations mentioned above before heading home.
I honestly don't scout that much. The elk move so much that it doesn't do a ton of good around here to try to figure out where they are in the summer when they will be nowhere near that area in the fall. I'll go once or twice a couple weeks before the season starts just to get familiar with the land, look for fresh sign and to get my lungs acclimated but that's about it.

Mosby

WKR
I don't bother to scout around my house for whitetail. I have national forest across the road and I throw a stand up and see what happens. Local deer hunting is for testing equipment and meat in the freezer.

When I scout for Iowa whitetail it is about 10 hours one way. For Colorado elk it is anywhere from 10 to 16 hour drive depending on unit. Idaho is much further. I stop in Laramie and get a pizza. I am scouting for new pheasant hunting areas in South Dakota this summer and that will be around 11 hours initially, find a place to stay and I will go from there. Whatever it takes.

A bunch of maps, a box of Krispy Kreme's, a thermos of coffee and I'm good. I always take a scouting trip if I am going to hunt a new area. I love to scout. Makes a huge difference on opening morning when you know where you are going and you have a plan.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Makes a huge difference on opening morning when you know where you are going and you have a plan.
I normally have at least 1/2 dozen different options for opening morning with a plan, regardless whether I've ever set foot in that unit before or not.

Mosby

WKR
I normally have at least 1/2 dozen different options for opening morning with a plan, regardless whether I've ever set foot in that unit before or not.
I don't like hunting areas I haven't put boots on the ground, especially if I am taking family or friends with me. I suck at it and I don't enjoy it as much. I've done it and I've gotten lucky doing it but I am more comfortable when I've seen an area with my own two eyes and had a chance to spend some time in it. I am happy if I can find 3 or 4 places to try that I feel good about but I am normally pretty patient with an area unless there simply isn't any sign.

My favorite place to scout is about an hour and a half from home, the closest is about 30 minutes.

A matter of looking out my window with the binos or driving and hiking for a half a day. Depends on where I'm hunting and what species I'm after! Currently see 29 mulies and 41 elk right now staring out my window. Surrounded by public land and have 4 different wilderness areas with trailheads less than an hours drive away.

Mosby

WKR
A matter of looking out my window with the binos or driving and hiking for a half a day. Depends on where I'm hunting and what species I'm after! Currently see 29 mulies and 41 elk right now staring out my window. Surrounded by public land and have 4 different wilderness areas with trailheads less than an hours drive away.
You are living in a much better place than I am. Smart man.