Disturbing Yellowstone wildlife.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I could not find thread that talked about lady who was facing Federal charges when she was caught on camera taking picture of bears. Well, now the Feds have filed charges against her. When the Feds. go after you, they go all out. She is facing charges of, willfully remaining, approaching and photographing wildlife within 100 yards. Also charged with feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intentional disturbing wildlife. It seems the video of her is not all they have against her.. They have rules and laws to protect both the animals and people who done't realize the danger they are putting themselves in when they break the rules.

Wags

WKR
My soul smiles when I see some of these encounters. I feel for the kids who are put in harms way by their idiot parents but when I see an adult have the opportunity to fully experience how cuddly the wild animals really aren't, my soul smiles....

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
what I did not see before was she was in a parking area and behind the stone wall
Now if she had went passed the stone wall I could see charges
I have to believe there are signs that warn of the danger even when behind that low wall. I can't say first hand but there is a mention of 100 yards so, I assume if the animals are closer than that, you need to remain in your vehicle. But, some people don't know the difference between 100 and 10 yards.

BBob

WKR
If you've never been to Yellowstone or Yosemite it's best to listen to and read the rules but more importantly follow the rules. There is virtually zero tolerance in breaking of the rules for good reason, the general public is stupid and they need to be constantly saved from themselves. If you encounter rangers that appear to be D*ck's (you will) that's for good reason too. The public is stupid and the rangers have to treat everyone the same and sternly. Hang out in Yosemite for even a short period of time and you'll get the idea. It's actually quite funny to watch the rangers pop people over and over for shear stupidity and the inability to follow simple rules. People ignore the car and bear attractants rules all the time (even when they are clearly told the reasons for and the consequences). They cry when their cars get smashed by a bear, car gets impounded, towed out of the park and get a big fat fine because they didn't listen to and follow the rules. The park also does not care how you will retrieve your car. They will make an example of you pretty much guaranteed every time.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Seems the feds would have bigger fish to fry than her...

You’d think but from my experience in the parks they very much do want to make examples out of people. It’s the only way lots of these people seem to understand the rules. The fact that I’ve witnessed the zero tolerance and here telling you about it is exactly why they do it. If it makes the news all the better.

While at the Grand Canyon one evening looking down at the river from a viewpoint a few cow elk walked up behind me about 30 yds away. I didn’t think much about them at all until a park ranger barked on his loudspeaker that I was in potential danger and he’d cite me if I didn’t leave now and give the elk space. They do advise/tell you about giving the elk space in the park rules when visiting the GC 🙄

Dirtbag

WKR
I commented on the last thread and still feel the same. She is ignorant, but she is basically on the sidewalk. I maintain the position that bears shouldn't be anywhere near a sidewalk or places where we direct human congregation. People with only the knowledge they receive from the zoo and animal planet docs think bears are cuddly friends. I've been to Yellowstone in recent years and cant say i'd go back. The place is an absolute disaster with idiots, idiot rangers, trash, traffic jams and so on. I will still continue to place part of the blame on our consistently poor management of our national parks and their tolerance for human habituated grizzlies and other wildlife.

Again, this bear and her cubs can leave the park at anytime. We'd be singing a different tune if this had been a hunter who was killed by a habituated bear.

As for the feds, don't ever think they wont get involved with your life and petty trappings of it. We have let the government get too big and have filled it full of adults who are still sour they didn't get on the high school football team. They'll hit her with a bunch of charges and will be happy with anything that sticks. They like the easy wins.

Last edited:
I maintain the position that bears shouldn't be anywhere near a sidewalk or places where we direct human congregation.
Please, inform us all how we educate these bears about where they should and should not be....lol WTF? What are they gonna do, kill every bear that dares to walk within fifty miles of a damn sidewalk in Yellowstone? Screw these idiots that don't have the common sense to stay inside their car. She deserves everything the legal system can throw at her, that bear deserves better.

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Please, inform us all how we educate these bears about where they should and should not be....lol WTF? What are they gonna do, kill every bear that dares to walk within fifty miles of a damn sidewalk in Yellowstone? Screw these idiots that don't have the common sense to stay inside their car. She deserves everything the legal system can throw at her, that bear deserves better.
Agree 110%. Rules are made to protect fools from themselves. Really, the bears are suppose to know the rules, get real.

Dirtbag

WKR
There are many methods in keeping bears away from humans. Some lethal, most non lethal. We don't tolerate it anywhere else but national parks and touristy mountain towns.

If this bear and her cubs hung around your house, drive way and so on, again you'd be singing a different tune to a conservation officer over the phone.

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
There are many methods in keeping bears away from humans. Some lethal, most non lethal. We don't tolerate it anywhere else but national parks and touristy mountain towns.

If this bear and her cubs hung around your house, drive way and so on, again you'd be singing a different tune to a conservation officer over the phone.
What you seem to be missing is. this. is. there. home.

"Conservation" officer? Nah. Some of us take accountability for our own personal safety. A foreign concept to a majority of people, sadly.

Dirtbag

WKR
What you seem to be missing is. this. is. there. home.
There are plenty of people that would make that case for them everywhere. You're pro wildlife management or your not. We shouldn't stop managing grizzlies because we drew a line on a map.

Last edited:

Dirtbag

WKR
"Conservation" officer? Nah. Some of us take accountability for our own personal safety. A foreign concept to a majority of people, sadly.
That's great. I'm glad you have embraced wildlife management now that its hypothetically affecting you personally.

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Cool hand Luke, captains speech, Some men you just can't reach.

WCB

WKR
Easy way to fix most of these situations. no parking lots or trails in the park...especially improved trails or parkin lots. Keep idiots in their vehicles and drive through it like Jurassic Park. Also, no busses allowed in the park.