Ditched the stabilizer

Lukem

WKR
And I think I like it. Didn't notice any difference in group size, held steady and bow is a lot lighter. First shot felt funny without the 11" and 8oz B-Stinger on there, but I'll continue to shoot and see if I notice any negatives.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but anybody else do this?

Ironman8

WKR
I'm still new to archery, but that just means I'm a clean slate with no biases. I couldn't tell a difference in my groups or how the bow held/balanced either. And even though I'm new to archery, I'm a pretty decent shot, so my groups are tight enough to be able to see a difference if there was one. Seemed like dead weight to me so I ditched it.

Trial153

WKR
The only time I can see a difference with hunting stabilizers and weights is is in high crosswinds at longer distances..... I don't know about you guys but I am not big on taking long shots in high cross winds on game..... I can save the weight as well.....

I can get measurable differences if I use a stabilizer and side bar as well...however the added weight in almost any hunting Ustinov isn't worth the little bit of extra accuracy I pick up...not at hunting distances anyway.

Last edited:

trkyslr

WKR
My bow shoots better with one and the shot feels better to me. I notice less jump in the bow (backwards) and it seams to just hold a lot steadier with one. The weight doesn't bother me plus it acts as a kickstand for when I set the bow down. For most close range hunting they're not as crucial as long shots and or longer competition shooting. Just look at pro shooters and their setups.. They have the lonnnnnggg stabs and side bars for a reason.

Im going back to my front and back bar on my hunting setup.. I just flat out shoot it good.. Can i tell much difference in group size and stuff?? Not really out to 40 yards.. But 40+ and in the wind i love having that extra weight

mt100gr.

WKR
I dropped the stabilizer on both of my bows last year. Once you get used to it and find the balance, it's a great way to save some ounces.

Slim Jim

WKR
I hope it works well for you!
I always shoot and hunt with a 10" stab. I don't ever want to miss a shot on an animal and second guess my decision. I don't ever shoot without my quiver attached either unless its real windy. With stab and quiver on I feel like the shot breaks and falls perfect after the release.

Every bow is different. That said a heavy bow in the wind has always been better for me then a light one. 40 and in its a push but the farther out I go the more noticeable my groups grow.

amp713

WKR
I pulled my handle off to try shooting without it and noticed a bit worse shooting at first so put it back on, never even thouht to pull the stabilizer.....

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
I've always been a proponent of stabilizers. Always felt that it was needed either for weight balance or deadening of the bow. After yesterday, I'm not so sure. I shoot an Elite Answer, so it's a little on the heavier side to start with and there's not much shock in it.

Over the last couple years I've had a couple instances where it got in the way of a shot or was at least on my radar while making a shot. Not something I need to be thinking about at that point.

I'll continue to shoot and see how it affects my accuracy. I know it isn't for everybody, and I never thought I'd ever consider getting rid of it.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
I really need to shoot at 70+, that's where I'll see what difference it has.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I got rid of a weighted stabilizer 5 years ago, and havn't looked back. I simply run the simms s coil I think they call it. It weighs next to nothing and only extends out 3 or so inches. The extra rubber helps dampen any riser vibrations a bow will have when shot.

I always chuckle when guys use stabilizers for vibration dampening and shock. If your bow shakes so much you need a dampener, you need a tune up or a new bow.

Theoretically, stabilizers make perfect sense. But in practice I've never seen a benefit. Even at long yardages, I've never noticed a difference in my groups with or without a stabilizer. With my current bow (Hoyt Carbon Spyder) and my previous 2 bows (Bowtech Insanity XL and Bowtech Guardian), stabilizers had no measurable effect on my groups out to 100 yards.

Haven't shot / hunted with one for years. I've tried shooting with it on and off and haven't noticed enough of a difference to justify packing around the extra weight.

I've done the same thing...and have gone back and forth on it over the years. On really remote hunts, where weight is a huge issue, I usually leave it at home or carry it in my pack and then just put it on when I am hunting. I am not sure why I keep it on when I am hunting whitetails in the midwest where shots are only about 30 yards.

The accuracy difference or group sizes for me is barely noticeable, even at 70 yards.

I'm been shooting compounds for 30 yrs and honestly never tried shooting without a stabilizer:)! Too close to season for me now, maybe something I'll tinker with in the offseason. I'm all for saving weight!

OR Archer

WKR
Ill shoot a stabilizer all day long. When I'm really breathing heavy, winds gusting, or I'm trying to thread the needle, the stabilizer helps make the hold much easier for me. Wouldn't think of not using one. Ill save the weigh somewhere else.