Ditching Mid-Layers

JMarbs

FNG
Anyone else ditching mid layers, both top and bottom, and just going with insulation pieces for extra warmth? I never wear my mid-layers while moving, and I don't know that they're doing a ton for warmth when I'm sitting. My experience so far has been I'm either hot or cold. I'm hot when I'm moving and cold when I glass or sit for the morning or evening. So I'm thinking about ditching my mid-layers and investing in warmer/better/lighter puffy pants and jacket.

Thoughts?

P.S. I typically only hunt the first 1-2 weeks of September in Southern CO.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I quit using mid layers while hunting a while ago. My hunting style is fairly active with lots of hiking and no real sitting or glassing. I found that if I wore enough to keep me comfortable at the trailhead I got really hot really quick. Now I just start a little cold and keep the puffy and rain gear in the pack just in case. My mid layers still get used at camp in the evening though.

jmez

WKR
I don't use them for archery anymore. I spend 90% of my time is a SS merino T shirt. I take a rain jacket and insulated vest. If I'm sitting glassing I'll put on the jacket and or vest depending. If I'm moving it is just the T shirt.

OP
J

JMarbs

FNG
@renagde and @5MilesBack sorry for the terminology confusion. Let me clarify: by insulation pieces I mean synthetic or down puffy pants and jacket. By midlayers, i mean heavy weight merino, fleece, or synthetic pullovers or hoodies.

For example: my previous system was First Layer: First Lite LS Wick, Second Layer (mid layer): Peloton 240 Zip Hoodie, Third Layer(insulation/puffy): Browning's Speed Shrike Jacket.

What I'm thinking is getting rid of the second layer, or at least leaving it at the truck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just find what works for you. I don't use mid layers when they aren't needed and layer up as the temperature drops. If it isn't cold why would you bring a jacket? A puffy and rain jacket give more more options at layering then a stand alone jacket.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tlkaetz

WKR
I have ditched my Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody when the weather is cold. I now just layer a Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody under a Sitka Kelvin WS Hoody.

*zap*

WKR
I dress according to the temperatures & anticipated activity level then put another top/bottom layer in my pack. If I am planning to be sitting for long I also pack in the appropriate outer layers for the temperatures. Peleton 97 hoody on top with a synthetic T shirt and sitka mid weight bottom + Kuiu pro pants cover from 30-50 degrees for active. Warmer I use a light weight bottom and colder I add a sitka midweight on top-generally speaking, but everything can change as conditions change. I have been very happy with the 97 hoody for active hiking.

To me there is a huge temperature gap between going from a wicking layer to a puffy. I would suggest trying a slightly heavier mid layer that functions as an outer layer for hiking. Pack the insulation layer to use when sitting and as realunlucky suggested a rain jacket if its windy and/or really cold. This is pretty much the system I use and have had great luck staying comfortable. Obviously like others have stated if its august/september the insulation layers are not needed.

tdot

WKR
There are no hard and fast rules. Multiple layers only give you flexibility. I regularly have multiple base or mid layers to help give me flexibility. I typically will have a mid layer that can double duty as my exterior layer when activity levels are high. I will only wear an outer layer with any membrane in it if it is actively raining or the brush is very wet.

Often ditching the shell will do more during excursion then a mid layer.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
That time of year I'm generally in a light wool T, with a light 150 wt wool hoody, windshirt, and light puffy. Swap the windshirt for a rain shell if forecasted. The hoody and windshirt could be a mid or outer, depending on conditions. What's important is how stuff functions, not so much what it's marketed as.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For archery, I don't wear much beyond my base layers and my camo. The only midlayer I'll normally wear is a microfleece mock-T which is indeed for insulation when it's cool. But it breathes really well too, so as long as I'm not really pushing it I'm comfortable in it. If I have to run after a bull then it's too much no matter what the temps are.

Ralphie

WKR
I’m no gear expert but I don’t use any mid layers as you’ve described them. I go from base layer to a synthetic puffy. Then in real cold I add a down puffy. Add a rain/wind shell as needed. Probably the only hunter left not wearing one of those skin tight hooded deals.😀

jmez

WKR
I don't own a puffy. I just use rain jacket and best. It would have to well below freezing for me to put a puffy on. I'm comfortable into 20s with Merino t, vest and rain jacket.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lkwoolsey

WKR
Yep, don't even bother with them anymore. Unless I'm going somewhere realllllly cold, I bring rain gear, a puffy coat, a heavy weight set of thermal bottoms (kuiu zip offs, I think the peletons, can't remember) and a hat and gloves. All the extra mid layers stayed in my pack, and I figured if my puffy was too hot, I can unzip it. Even when I was guiding on climbing trips alot, I found myself leaving everything except a shell and a puffy at home, minus the long/ short sleeve t shirt i happened to be wearing.

rodney482

WKR
My system
FL base layers
Kuiu guide/attack Fully unzipped moving
Kuiu super down jacket/pant (stay in pack)
Rain gear (stays in pack)